It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End Of The World - An Eternal Problem - A 102 Year Old Newspaper Article

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I was digging through some old newspaper archives at The Library of Congress website on Nikola Tesla when I ran across this interesting article published in 1909 about how people thought the world would meet it's demise taking it's inhabitants with it, including theories from prominent scientist at the time.

Earthquakes, Wars, Plaques, Comet Biela , Ice (H.G. Wells), Atmospheric Electrical Discharge (Tesla), Planets Colliding.

I immediately thought of ATS and "current" events......

Some things never change. Oh Noes

Enjoy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bace917ceaae.png[/atsimg]

Entire Page

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4e563acf8b6e.png[/atsimg]

LOC Source

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Very Interesting. What is your intention by posting this article on the forums?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Lol good find. Seems its just human nature to
ponder how our world will end. S&f

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by lifespath420

Pretty much as a pun.

The drama has been eternal and maybe some of us should lighten up a bit.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifespath420
Very Interesting. What is your intention by posting this article on the forums?

My interpretation may not be the same as anyone else's. What I take from it is that people have always thought the 'end of the world' was right around the corner. Obviously, they were wrong. We are still here.

Surely they/we couldn't be wrong again could we? Nah. This time it's for real.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Bingo!

We have a Winner

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Every thing old is new again!

Being an Irish American and Catholic, it should go without saying that I come from a family of priests. My uncle was a priest, and one time years ago visited me while I was living in New York City. I was a broke struggling actor at the time, which meant I was a waiter and bartender, so I had to rely upon two other roommates to pay the rent.

When my Uncle visited - we affectionately called him Uncle Father Basil - he took me and my roommates out to dinner. One of my roommates, Shane, was sort of smart ass, and he took great pleasure in asking my Uncle questions regarding religion. My Uncle was a gregarious fat priest who liked to drink and loved to eat, and he was devouring his prime rib when Shane asked; "So Fadder, tell me whachu tink 'bout da end of da world. Ya tink it's true? Ya tink da world is really coming to an end?"

My Uncle chewed his meat patiently, and before answering wiped the grease from his chin, and then looked at Shane and smiled: "Shane, the world comes to an end when I die." and then he cut himself another piece of prime rib and shoved it in his mouth, and Shane really didn't know what to say to that, so he quietly ate his meal, and we drank heartily the rest of the night.

edit on 23-3-2011 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Excellent find, a true diamond in the rough.
Now....about this comet Beila....

Quite an interesting read: Comet beila

Subsequent predictions, in the media of the time, of the Earth's likely destruction overlooked the fact that the Earth itself would not reach this point until November 30, a month later, as pointed out by François Arago in an article designed to allay public fears.[3] Despite this, the fact that Biela's Comet was the only comet known to intersect the Earth's orbit was to make it of particular interest, both to astronomers and the public, during the 19th century. The 1839 apparition was extremely unfavourable and no observations were made.

edit on 23-3-2011 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

That's a good one.

There is not much after I'm gone either. At least for me.

(chews steak, shoots Jameson, smokes stogie)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The mayans were right about one thing, things go in cycles. So does fear mongering. Christians think the world is ending every other week. I mean how could life go on with out them there?

S&F nice find

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Back in High School my sociology teacher showed us newspaper articles from the late 1800's~ early 1900's that questioned if it was the end times. My grandparents told me every generation had thoughts it could be the end times. And now today we once again think that, but i subscribe more to the idea that it is paradigm shift , not necessarily end times.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

I was just going to reply to you

Saying how interesting of a comet it was.

Despite the apparent destruction of the comet, there were a number of searches for it during the later 20th century.

There have been several attempts to identify objects discovered subsequently either as Biela's Comet or as a remnant of it. The German astronomer Karl Ristenpart attempted several times to prove a link with the comet now known as 18D/Perrine-Mrkos, which had a very similar orbit to Biela apart from a differing Argument of Perihelion.[10] Despite this, it was not possible to prove any relationship and Perrine-Mrkos, an intrinsically faint object, has itself since been lost. Comet 207P/NEAT, discovered in 2001 by the NEAT asteroid survey, was also found to have a similar orbit to Biela's Comet, and it was initially thought possible that it was in some way related to it.

Biela has sometimes been proposed as the source of meteoric impacts on Earth.

A fringe theory links together several major fires that occurred simultaneously in America, including the Great Chicago Fire and the Peshtigo Fire, claiming that they were caused by fragments of Biela's Comet striking the Earth.[12] The theory was first proposed by Ignatius L. Donnelly in 1883, and was revived in a 1985 book[13] and further explored in an unpublished 2004 scientific paper[14].

On November 27, 1885, an iron meteorite fell in northern Mexico, at the same time as a 15,000 per hour outburst of the Andromedid meteor shower. The Mazapil meteorite has sometimes been attributed to the comet, but this idea has been out of favor since the 1950s as the processes of differentiation required to produce an iron body are not believed to occur in comets.

AHHHH Run!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

just gives more creedance to the concept, all this has happened before and it will all happen again.

Still, i cant help but get caught up in the moment.
*raises glass to the cycle of human history*

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I see the 19th Century folks (well, early 20th) had their very own Comet Elenin Planet X alarm going on, those news articles look ---just like--- threads here.
I was on the 2012 ride for some time, but lately, before you made this thread, I have been becoming (only recently, I'm ashamed to admit), increasingly skeptical, and realizing the this present "cycle" may be nothing more than a ---psychological--- one! Lots of misinterpretations/misidentifications on YouTube. I have a sudden powerfull "psychic" feeling that 2013 will come rolling in with bidness as usual.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

It pleased me to read your comment, even if it turns out that you happen to be the only to reach this realization that, as of now, it is all over-analyzed misinterpretations and still nothing more than speculation.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I am sure if the web was around then that the article would have gone viral and been posted on numerous conspiracy sites and construed as , this is it, the big one.

I too am skeptical, or maybe just done being worried about it.

Whatever happens, I am at peace with myself and that's all that is important.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Ironic.

The article on the other side of the page is about Hiram Bingham and "The Lost City of the Inca's" being discovered and "explored for the first time".

Machu Pichu not being "discovered" yet, by him also.

Another cryptic duo of articles??

Great. Something else to worry about. I smell a conspiracy. haha

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d1afc062b118.png[/atsimg]

Choquequirao Wiki

edit on 24-3-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Yeah I'm done being worried about things. Maybe by sheer ---coincidence--- , there have been all these horrible disasters in the world, on the MSM, but they have just drrrrrraaaaiiiinnnned me. I'm sick and tired of feeling traumatized anymore. I believe I cannot take it anymore.
But I genuinely had opened myself intellectualy ---- to taking a hard look at these end-of-the-world-things. For example, back in January, a YouTube guy hooked me with his ongoing filming of planet x in the early sky. Recently, "Here's my latest shot, folks", And I'm realizing, "Oh gawd, thats Venus." Duh!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Good for you. You must take all this stuff in stride. If one took most of the things discussed here too seriously, it would drive that one mad. All of our days have an expiration. Why be afraid of the inevitable?

True, I am a survivor and I will not go down without a fight, but afraid? No. Other than a natural disaster, if someone tries to make me meet my maker, I will do my best to take them with me for the introduction.

But seriously, I don't like to feed the energy vampyres with negative, let them starve.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Yes, every generation has it's dooms day predictions.
People have from the beginning of time knew the end was coming soon.

The difference is now with the internet things get passed around so quickly and there are so many gullible people that strange idea's take hold and spread.

People talk about a new age of awareness and awakening but how can that progress with the currant way of thinking?

Maybe if everyone didn't think the world was going to end soon from one of a hundred different threats they would have a different attitude.

Gee, I guess the world and it's people are going to be here for a long time. Maybe we should do things differently and accept that we are going to be here so let's make a few changes to make it a better place.

I have noticed that when people are getting ready to retire from a job that the last few months they get the
"I don't care attitude". That's where we are now.

Let's start caring..................

top topics

<<   2 >>

join