It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"You have a new private message" Pop-up

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Members should be able to, and have the right to, express their opinions and preferences on how this site is run, and isn't that exactly what this "Board Business & Questions" forum is for? In the end, whatever is decided is not your call, anyway. Complaining about other people complaining isn't going to help anything. Fixing things, making changes, and listening to the members will, though. A board that takes into consideration all the concerns of the members, no matter how trivial they may seem to some, is a hell of a lot better than a board that would just do whatever it wants regardless of how its members feel.

And just for the record, I COMPLETELY agree that all those stupid popups, including and especially that private message one, are not wanted and extremely annoying. (I'm really glad that that other big blue one that used to pop up with all your stuff on there is gone. That was horrible.) Especially the fact that it stays there until you read them! Not cool. It really sucks when you first open the page, and see something you would like to read, and then all of a sudden you're looking at "You have a new private message!" Like, seriously? No, thanks.

Even just a little "1 message" right underneath where it says "Tools+" would be soooooo much better.

Thank you very much for having this forum and caring.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
It gets in the way of the recent threads button.
Please get rid of it, or make it smaller and someplace else.
It is another goofy backwards feature of ATS.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy
It gets in the way of the recent threads button.

Exactly. I'm a daily visitor who likes to skim the topics being discussed. I first go to the homepage and look at the hot topics and then see whats fresh on recent posts. 96% of the time those are the only two pages I select and its centered over the main toolbar.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

I'm with you 100% on this.
Irritating as hell.
It's not really "Private" when it goes out to EVERY SINGLE member!!!!!

HELLOOOO????

And why in the hell should I have to actually check my mail and delete the damn thing in order to make the pop
ups go away???
Don't even get me started on this ridiculous street view thing.
oooohhh Gawd, and the "ATS Chicks"????
Whatever.
Lowest common denominator I guess.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Personaly speaking, I would like MORE control to ADD features , like the replies section to the alert, so that if you get replied to , you get a PM about it, and can respond with all possible haste, or more precisely with more foresight and preparedness.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

It's not really "Private" when it goes out to EVERY SINGLE member!!!!!

lol, not really a U2U is it ??
But it's not that big a deal..
ATS is entitled to market it's site anyway they see fit..

Hell, to watch a news clip on many sites I first need to watch a 30sec ad..
What's the difference??

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I agree with the OP. It is not a "private" message, and they already have the banner and other devices to let us know. I am also in agreement in that those things do not interest me. They seem trite at best. At a minimum could there be a way to allow us to know it is a "spam" so we can just close and ignore it?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Every one is quick to complain, but can anyone figure out the purpose for the pop-up notice?

Many times the staff would send an urgent U2U to someone that was causing some sort of mischief that was ignored. Sometimes the member would be Post Banned (unable to post or start threads) until the matter was resolved. And often they would say the reason was due to not seeing the little red U2U button (which wasn't always red). mostly because it was always on because they had some unopened U2U somewhere.

The pop up notice was something in place to counter that argument for the 2010 update.No excuse for not being able to see unread U2U's now. The staff liked the change and thus here it is.

Ads have been covered several times, but to sum it up. It costs real money to host a large website. There are close to 11 million posts and close to 3 million pages of content. Money for the servers to hold them, money for the back ups, money for the bandwidth. Plus the owners, for which this is their full time job, like to eat and have a roof over their heads.

Suffice it to say ATS is a business. Businesses cost money to run. Ads are the cheapest and easiest way to bring content to the reader while generating that money. As for the argument of "yeah but you are staff" Let me let you in on a secret. Under the old Gold-Silver-Bronze contributer levels ads were turned off. One month later, I became staff and the ads were back. The reason being so we could see what people were complaining about. So yep I had about a month of ad free content.

Why do we ban members that use ad blockers? For the same reason they arrest people that commit crimes in society. Seeing an ad on a page costs me infinitely less than what a paid subscription would. Looking at the last mass U2U: "(This is a mass U2U sent to all 16655 members who have been on ATS in the past 30 days. Please do not respond to this message.)" I don't have the figure it takes to run a site this large and I doubt that everyone would stay if they had to pay a subscription, but I am willing to bet the monthly fee would cost most than playing WoW to cover those that would leave.

Ads sit there and sometimes are animated or expand on a mouse over. At least they are muted now. (For those that remember that Helllooo from the smiley ad a few years back)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have the ultimate suggestion if you don't like the message system here.

Have sent you a U2U.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
The pop up notice was something in place to counter that argument for the 2010 update.No excuse for not being able to see unread U2U's now. The staff liked the change and thus here it is.

Ok, send me a disciplinary message that I have to read. Thats cool but cant you guys design it so those pop up but not promo emails?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
unfortunately it's something we are being force-fed......no outcry will change their minds.....my feelings are the pop-up sucks and I have voiced my bitch over it to no avail.

I feel the whole site update just blew......it's just like being forced to go to a new Windows OS when the OS your using works perfectly fine

.....you either do it or "go elsewhere" is what they always cry......

eh !

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This needs to be posted again:

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Yes.

OPEN it.

Click "del".

DONE!

Seems people are complaining about something they don't understand...DAMN INTERNETS!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Agree with OP, would like to add ATS Admin to some sort of ignore list.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Yeah the constant email spam and u2u spam and addson the site kind of get on my nerves.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

we get it...however why should we be forced to do it ??

no matter what.....no matter who complains or what issue someone brings up there is always someone who takes ATS's side......someone always makes the complainer look like he is either lazy or stupid......which is the typical response......

I also expect this thread to get locked...once you start bitching about something then sooner or later someone will shut the thread down.
edit on 24-3-2011 by Alpha Grey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus23
Does it really bother you THAT much?
It's like this.

Ever hear the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?".

That's what's annoying about it. The previous notification was perfect. There was a little U2U box and it changed color to let you know when you have mail, just like the icon on my e-mail changes when I get mail. There was no popup and it worked perfectly. I was very happy with it.

Now it's been changed to, in my opinion, make it worse. Changes are supposed to make things better, right?

Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this is worse and the old notification method was superior.

What's wrong with giving ATS that feedback? I liked it, they "fixed something that wasn't broke" and made it worse, and I'm letting them know I liked it better before.

The only people that might like the popup are newbies who may not have recognized the color change on the old system but you only have to figure that out once and once you do the popups are worse than the color change.

So my vote is, make it the way it was before, it worked great then.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I agree with the OP 100% - but doubt that a genuine dialogue with the Admin will happen....it seems that's not how they do things here. It's their road or the high road.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
The only people that might like the popup are newbies who may not have recognized the color change on the old system ...

I like the pop-up notification.
I don't think I qualify as a newbie any more.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join