It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado Warnings in California!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

TORNADO WARNINGS IN CALIFORNIA!

A tornado warning has been issued via radio among severe thunderstorms as well as the formation of a funnel indicating imminent severe tornado.
(visit the link for the full news article)

UPDATE: WILLIAMS HIT BY TORNADO - LINK: www.colusa-sun-herald.com...

edit on 3/23/2011 by TasteTheTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/3/11 by masqua because: Replaced 'All Caps' in title

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This is insane, we have NEVER had any tornado warnings in California. What the HELL is going on in the world?
This warning was just issued and I felt the need to share as it may relate to all the other weather related oddities currently occurring.
Thoughts, comments, and insights more than welcome.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
A SMALL TWISTER TOUCHED DOWN IN THE TOWN OF WILLIAMS...CONFIRMED

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Links , links please !!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
i do find it really odd ... California weather is off the hook lately! The other tornado in santa rosa the other day only makes me think this is something entirely new to Californians...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I wouldn't say cali never gets them, but it's a pretty rare sight that's for sure

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
We had a tornado touch down in Long Beach in 1998 or so. Tore the roof off a grocery store. They happen once in a while, but not like the twisters of the midwest.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Remember we had the water spouts off our cost.

Would be a trip too see one on the ground...
not realy tho

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
From USA Today:

Q: How common are tornadoes in California? When they hit, people always say how unusual they are, but is that really the case?

A: Tornadoes are not as rare in the Golden State as most people seem to think. From 1950-2004, there were 303 documented tornadoes in California, and, since 1993, an additional 57 waterspouts in the state’s coastal waters — an average of almost six tornadoes and five waterspouts per year. But so far in 2005, California is more like Tornado Alley, with about 20 tornadoes in the state, including 12 in Sacramento County — more than in the Oklahoma City metro area!

Though 80% of California tornadoes are weak, with Fujita scale rankings of F-0 or F-1, there have been a number of significant storms in populated areas. With 41 tornadoes, Los Angeles County ranks as the tornado capital of the state, five of which were ranked as F-2. Nearby Orange County has had 28 tornadoes and at least as many waterspouts concentrated in its relatively small area of 798 square miles.

In a recent study, veteran California tornado expert John Monteverdi of San Francisco State University estimates that approximately half of the state’s tornadoes are spawned by supercells. The remainder are the result of smaller circulations, including a number of “cold air funnels.”

California has had two unique tornado events in the past decade. In 1998, an F-2 tornado in Sunnyvale was the first anticyclonic supercell and anticyclonic tornado to be documented with the WSR-88D NEXRAD radar. And in July 2004, the highest-elevation tornado ever observed in the USA. was photographed along Rockwell Pass in the Sequoia National Park, at an elevation of about 12,000 feet.

(Answered by Jan Null, Golden Gate Weather Services, May 18, 2005)

Not as uncommon as everyone seems to think. Given the above more active than my neck of the woods on the East Coast.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
They are monitering all the rivers around here ... the snowmelt has NOT even began to come down the mountain yet... and all major reservoirs are full to the brim or very near to full... i am keeping a close eye on things... i think they just said on the news this is one of the highest snow amounts on record... and theres more to come.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by gloomyblue707
A SMALL TWISTER TOUCHED DOWN IN THE TOWN OF WILLIAMS...CONFIRMED

This is unbelievable to everyone in the area.
If twister do happen it is in southern california and is weak.
These are dangerous larger sized ones.

I have lived here for 15 years and never heard a warning come over the radio like this, let alone witness a funnel form!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well today is a day everyone needs to get through. Its not good numerologically, basically working out to, 0 11 22 33 and 3 11.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I can't help but think about The Day After Tomorrow.

Sure they might not be completely uncommon, doesn't mean its not a little strange.
edit on 23/3/2011 by osirys because: forgot a word

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Small tornadoes are not completely uncommon in California. If it was a huge one then yeah that would be odd. Look here if you don't believe me: (Tons of F1 and F2)

www.tornadohistoryproject.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord
Small tornadoes are not completely uncommon in California. If it was a huge one then yeah that would be odd. Look here if you don't believe me: (Tons of F1 and F2)

www.tornadohistoryproject.com...

Yes, dust devils are completely common.

These ones are not. Anyone have a rating for the one that hit williams?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Weird, I had a dream last night that tornado's were swirling through the city, merging and getting bigger. I wish there was a way to record dreams because they would have put any Hollywood effect to shame.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheTruth

This is insane, we have NEVER had any tornado warnings in California.

Yes, there has. There have been plenty of Tornados in California, and where there are Tornados there are Tornado warnings....

Try going to google and doing a quick search on " torndao history of California"... you will see that your statement is fully inaccurate....

There have been tornados and warnings for them.... On several occasions...

My point is that Tornados can happen anywhere in the world. They are just rarer in some places. If they conditions are right a tornado can happen anywhere... Well, the conditions are right in california, again....

Nothing out of the ordinary going on...Sorry to disappoint

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheTruth

Okay I must admit that although I'm not too far from Williams I am far enough for different weather. (Sacramento County). I've been here as long as I can remember (Was born here over 35 years ago) and as long as my memory serves there has always been wind damage in the spring and small tornadoes scaring people.

An F1 is not a dust devil and could easily cause the damage shown in the pictures but was more likely an F0.

en.wikipedia.org...

If we start seeing F3 and F4s I will jump on the Holy Crud! train. and make sure my root cellar isn't flooded...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Here in the uk we are not supposed to get twisters but get more than you! Suck it up.. Just because you are california does not make you immune or separate from the world... Hope you have REAL natural happenings, then maybe you may have empathy via EXPERIENCE for those folks in Japan who handle REALITY and hardship with DIGNITY, unlike american waste who think they are important for wearing clothes.. Tsunami+nuclear=more than a tornado x

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

true california hasnt had anything like what we have seen in japan... but we do have natural disasters...no need to feel the hating gap because californians see unusual weather and feel like they should discuss...
why are brits always acting like wankers?en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join