It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN accuses Fox News of 'outrageous' lie over 'human shields' in Libya

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

CNN accuses Fox News of 'outrageous' lie over 'human shields' in Libya

www.rawstory.com

A CNN reporter has refuted a claim by Fox News that television reporters were used as "human shields" in Libya, calling the allegation an "outrageous" falsehood.

Reacting to word that a caravan of about 40 journalists were touring a Libyan government facility, Fox News reporters Jennifer Griffin and Justin Fishel claimed the reporters were being used as "human shields" to curtail an expected attack on the Libyan leader.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I know that CNN calling Fox News "liars" is a lot like the pot calling the kettle "black," but you'll have to admit that things must be heating up when these two start calling each other out.

IMO, Fox News should change their motto from "Fair & Balanced" to something like "Biased & Baseless." I just don't understand how these people can continue to spew lies day after day and continue to maintain their ratings. Doesn't say much for the American viewership either.

Anyway, here's a link to the video clip of the CNN reporter describing the incident and commenting on just how outrageously deceitful the Fox News team was in their reporting of it.

www.youtube.com...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

I know that CNN calling Fox News "liars" is a lot like the pot calling the kettle "black," but you'll have to admit that things must be heating up when these two start calling each other out.

The only thing "heating up" is stupidity.

In-fighting is always a pointless distraction.

Got to ask, does it matter? Does it matter whether the human shield is real or not? Does it matter if some reporter claimed it or not? Does it matter if another reporter refutes that claim or not?

In the end there is still a convoy of journalists touring a building and there are still bombs falling.
edit on 22-3-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This would not be the first time fox has been on the receiving end of such accusations.. (and i use the word accusation lightly)

Come on does anyone even believe a thing they hear on fox anymore?
edit on 22-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Well....it was on the main page of foxnews.com all last night, www.foxnews.com... now you have to use the search function to find it (at least I did). Fox has a reputation of either outright lying or creating their own details, especially when it is a Fox exclusive.

I for one am glad that other journalists are speaking out and calling them out on it. From what I heard from a CNN journalist in Libya, Fox didn't even sent their journalist or camera person out that night, they sent some random person who doesn't do either of those jobs, normally.

Perhaps, fox is part of a larger social experiment to see how much misreporting the public will tolerate before "they" fully switch to a state t.v. propaganda machine.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It does matter. Because when someone hears that their loved one was used for a Human Shield...When a Country hears that their people were used or killed... they get pissed and they want to do something about it. Little lies here and there is called propaganda... 911 was propaganda. We got pissed because 3000 of our people were killed...so what did we the people do... ? O hell yea Bush...go to war. And then Bush attacks a country that wasn't involved!!!

Really quite simple. It does MATTER!

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This is one of the reasons why I shot my TV, can't believe a frikken word that comes out of the talking head's mouths anymore... And we thought soviet was great at propaganda...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Nothing like a war in Libya to participate in finger pointing.
The reporters were used as human shields at the Qaddafy compound.
More attacks were called off when the generals/admirals in charge saw the reporters on TV.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
From my limited understanding of such things, I have heard and seen threads (I'll try to dig them up) that claim Fox News is actually an Entertainment based business. Since they are not legally considered a "News Program", they can get away with lying and fearmongering and suffer no legal repercussions.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
When I was a full-time reporter in the field, journalists would cover each other's backs. Sure there was competition for stories, but none of the backbiting I see in the two vids on the page linked by the OP. Time was, network reporters would quote each other on a slow news day and cite a "source close to the investigation."

I think the Fox reporter didn't go because being used as a human shield wouldn't be any fun. Why would any government give reporters a "tour" of a targeted site in the middle of a war? Except to use them as human shields, there is no reason.

Personally, I think Nic Robertson is myopic. He thinks that because they weren't hustled off the bus with shirts over their heads and hands bound that they weren't human shields, well I have news for him: Just being on the bus in a government compound makes him a human shield - or a target.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

I thought fox was the state propaganda machine.
No really.
3rd line.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
From my limited understanding of such things, I have heard and seen threads (I'll try to dig them up) that claim Fox News is actually an Entertainment based business. Since they are not legally considered a "News Program", they can get away with lying and fearmongering and suffer no legal repercussions.

Yeah, the White House tried that little trick to label Fox News an entertainment show.
It blew up in their faces. ABC,CBS,NBC all stood with Fox News and told the White House
"It's all of us or none of us." The White House folded like a house of cards and fired
the White House Communications director.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
Come on does anyone even believe a thing they hear on fox anymore?

No.

Do you believe what you hear on other news stations like CNN or MSNBC?

Not defending Fox here but it's not like they are the only ones who ever spread crap around.

I guess I kinda look at ALL cable news stations as which lie do you want to hear that suits your political preferences the best?

It sounds to me like Fox is playing the ratings game and it looks like they are succeeding again. What better way to do it then make an accusation against your competition so your story is now on 2 different networks.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

IMO, Fox News should change their motto from "Fair & Balanced" to something like "Biased & Baseless."

Sorry, already used by MSNBC and CNN.

And that's right, you don't understand. Maybe you should spend more time trying to figure it out. Somehow I think the answer will surprise you.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

What difference does it make, really?

I'm in a building buying a Pepsi from a vending machine. Somebody reports I'm in there because I'm thirsty, somebody else reports it's because my friend is thirsty, somebody else reports it's because I'm going to put that can in a sock and beat you over the head with it.

Now which report changes the reality of me being in a building buying a Pepsi?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
FOX is Entertainment News.

People already heard the real news and now want a twist.

They are not obligated to tell the truth ever, if at all. You must realize this.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
we can argue over the reporting of the news
of course then we will never get to arguing about the reality that is being reported as news
which means
we will never get to argue with those that are making the reality which is then "reported" as news

perfect
edit on 22-3-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

From what I remember from threads it is in their licensing, however I am not sure if certain program types (news v. commentator shows) have to hold different ones.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I have it from a trusted source it was Mountain Dew.

Now who is misreporting the facts?!

Really folks the news he said she said is just Coke vs Pepsi and nothing more, they need more ratings.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Fox tells their demographic exactly what they want to hear. There are rooms full of programing and scriptwriting guys only concerned with keeping the ratings up. News and truth is the furthermost thing from their mind.

All "news" goes thru many filters in every market before it gets to your TV screen at home. Most people realize this. Fox viewers on the other hand are faithful to Fox because it props up their ideology. Advertisers love Fox because they too have done their home work and know exactly who is watching and who is buying.

www.nielsen.com...

It's a business with a product, scripted, programed, researched and delivered.

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.
edit on 22-3-2011 by whaaa because: vvi

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join