It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If this happened in the US, it would probably be a lot different

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
After watching multiple videos of the disaster, it occurred to me how civil the Japanese seemed to be. Standing in a huge line to get in a grocery store without fighting, pushing etc.. I have a really bad feeling if something like this happened in the US, it would be more like a scene out of Mad Max. People in the US would literally be killing each other to get a gallon of gas or a can of beans. I haven't heard of any looting (not that there's much left i suppose), or crime etc, just wanted to share a little admiration for a people that apparently "get it". Just be prepared to see the worst in people here. Remember videos from "Black Friday"?..something like that..but worse.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by paearmor

If this happened in the US there is no doubt that significant portions of the country would be under Marshall Law. It would not be under marshall law because of any desire of the government to do anything other than protect folks, despite what some folks think about the government's desire to implement marshall law at the drop of a hat. If you were living near the disaster in this country you would be praying for marshall law because it would be a lawless, violent disaster, the emotional impact of the human behavior having a greater negative impact than any that was cause by a disaster.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Look what happened in Hurricaine Katrina.......
that told the world everything of what a major disaster is like in the USA.....it was like looting came natural to them.

In NZ & Australia, yes, they had only afew looters, but they held their own and both nations truely amazed me how they not only helped eachother out but the community spirit was awsome. I was so proud of them.

As for Japan, ZERO LOOTING although alot of work to do but the dignity they show is not like I've seen before. We have alot to learn from these people.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Just remember how people behaved after Katrina looting, violence, shootings. The governments response was slow, the police response heavy handed. Not to mention some of the horrors that went on in the superdome.

The Japanese have so far behaved with dignity and respect for each other all credit to them.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
just a thought, but if something like this DOES happen in the US (a few predictions about a possible quake in the near future) surely this would be an ideal time for one of the US`s many enemies to take advantage? i know its a long shot, giving the size of their defences, but kicking somebody while they are down is a possibility, isnt it? not sure if this has been brought up elsewhere but with the current global situation it really wouldnt surprise me...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You mean that if we get Marshall Law that all military,sheriffs, police departments and their families will get to eat first?

And then us commoners?

THAT kind of Marshall Law?

Don't forget the Mayor,City Council members(unless they're union bashers)City Employees,FEMA's family and friends.
Basically, ALL government employees will get theirs first..Isn't that a perk?

THAT kind of Marshall Law?

AND...I'm not bagging on them..AND I don't blame them.
You watch how fast Markers are called in for favors between adgencies.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Look what happened in Hurricaine Katrina.......
that told the world everything of what a major disaster is like in the USA.....it was like looting came natural to them.

In NZ & Australia, yes, they had only afew looters, but they held their own and both nations truely amazed me how they not only helped eachother out but the community spirit was awsome. I was so proud of them.

As for Japan, ZERO LOOTING although alot of work to do but the dignity they show is not like I've seen before. We have alot to learn from these people.

Most people in Japan have jobs. In New Orleans you have a lot of poverty and therefore higher crime rates. Blame the system not the people IMO

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Just look at so many posters here on ATS who always seem to be going on about how they have to take care of themselves when TSHTF. How many threads are there that are related to guns and other weapons that people should use when things go bad. The Japanese have it figured out - when things get tough, out most valuable resource is EACH OTHER.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 2012king

Don't worry about things like that....you have the Brits, Australians, NZers, Canadians among afew other friends that won't let you down! This is a guarantee, sealed in stone my friend.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

If our enemies were smart, they would do nothing. As machiavelli said "when your enemy is destroying himself, do not engage in war with them". Any massive looting/public disorder that might occur after a disaster would in large measure have a racial fault line and a urban/rural fault line and would do significant harm to the culture of the US. If the enemies were smart, they would let it play out, let us weaken our national resolve and then take action.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This is not happened in US and people are freaking out ...it's unimaginable what will happen If this happened in the US. Probably Alaska and Manitoba will be increase their population by few milions and people will eat potassium iodide tablets for lunch

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I disagree the thing about devastation when its felt near home it can cause total masses to unite. Katrina yes was a major disaster. But a combination of Eq-Tsunami-Nuclear is extreme and will calm any population down... It depends on the destruction

edit on 3/17/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

If our enemies were smart, they would do nothing. As machiavelli said "when your enemy is destroying himself, do not engage in war with them". Any massive looting/public disorder that might occur after a disaster would in large measure have a racial fault line and a urban/rural fault line and would do significant harm to the culture of the US. If the enemies were smart, they would let it play out, let us weaken our national resolve and then take action.
You really think everyone is out to kill eachother? I think we're all grown up somewhat. We're not 12 years old fighting over tables in the cafeteria. I think it's paranoid to worry so much about our 'enemies'. We all dish some and take some. In our mind we imagine helping each other.

IMHO, our enemies are pathetic compared to us and the only thing they need to worry about is themselves, not us. We're comparatively well off. We can take care of ourselves. So I have no fears.

Fear is good when you're in the wild and you sense hte presence of a predator or a pack of wolves. But in this world it's almost always counterproductive and leads to irrational stupid behavior.

How can we find peace in a world where everyone is paranoid about imagined wolf packs?
edit on 17-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Originally posted by dolphinfan

You really think everyone is out to kill eachother? I think we're all grown up somewhat. We're not 12 years old fighting over tables in the cafeteria. I think it's paranoid to worry so much about our 'enemies'. We all dish some and take some. In our mind we imagine helping each other.

IMHO, our enemies are pathetic compared to us and the only thing they need to worry about is themselves, not us. We're comparatively well off. We can take care of ourselves. So I have no fears.

Fear is counterproductive unless it encourages you to educate yourself and fear no longer.

Look at how people behave during the Black Friday shenanigans.. trampling people to death over stupid plastic junk from china. Imagine what they'll do when they can't watch their T.V.s, get gas, or eat their cheeseburgers

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Versalife

So its poverty that causes folks to riot, burn cars, break windows in Chicago or Philadelphia when the Bulls or Sixers win the NBA championship? You can plug about 10 different cities in to that equation.

Poverty does not many anyone treat their neighbors with disrespect, not does it cause people to act in a lawless manner. It certainly increases the level or urgency of the required response, but it does not cause folks to riot, burn down buildings, become violent.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

I am a Brit myself so to be honest it wouldnt really affect me directly, but i am also ex forces and i know us Brits would stand by the US no matter what. Just wanted to put it out there that some of the wests enemies dont play by the rules, and something like a natural disaster would be seen as an ideal time to take advantage. Its just a shame that all countries cant act the same way as the Japanese have. at the end of the day when the mess has been cleared some sort of normality has to be regained, and if a few idiots try and make it a way of gaining something, be it looting or another form of attack, they would be dealt with.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
And not only in the US, but in so many other parts of the world.

After the big one - in Tokyo - all trains stopped and some people found themselves having to walk back for more than 20Km. Noone complained, noone took it out on anyone else...it was like ..OK, this has happened, it`s horrible, none of us has caused it , we`re all in the same boat, let`s go along with it. Loads of things fell off shelves in supermarkets etc... but noone even comtemplated the idea of sneakily putting some of the fallen stuff in their bags. Instead, they all helped putting everything back in their place.

There is a general, deep lying understanding that, Ok, something major happened and therefore, OK, we need to be together and give each other strength. I sincerely doubt that looting would ever take place in Japan.

When the SHTF, and when I decided to leave some of my best Japanese friends in Tokyo who were forced to stay for work, to go down south, I actually felt guilty for deserting them. I still do, in a way...Many Japanese left Tokyo, but I know that many of them too, stuck to what they were doing, stayed even knowing how stressful it would be, to help others and to be part of the whole.

The world should take them as a real example.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2012king
reply to post by bluemirage5

I am a Brit myself so to be honest it wouldnt really affect me directly, but i am also ex forces and i know us Brits would stand by the US no matter what. Just wanted to put it out there that some of the wests enemies dont play by the rules, and something like a natural disaster would be seen as an ideal time to take advantage. Its just a shame that all countries cant act the same way as the Japanese have. at the end of the day when the mess has been cleared some sort of normality has to be regained, and if a few idiots try and make it a way of gaining something, be it looting or another form of attack, they would be dealt with.
Wolf packs don't play by the rules because they want to eat you.

Again we imagine helping each other, but it always seems to turn into a nightmare in reality.

Because in reality we're too suspicious of one another to work peacefully together.

In evolutionary terms this must have worked. Probably saved a lot of families and tribes from predator attacks. But I argue that in the modern world this paranoia is working against us.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
There's an average 9 point difference in IQ from Japan and the US. That means, there's more than twice as many gifted, and less than half as many retarded, in Japan than the US. Of course it would be a lot different.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Intelligence certainly within normal ranges and perhaps throughout the bell curve has absolutely no relationship with dignity, respect for others and self discipline. The 9 point difference still places both populations in the median of intelligence.

Generally, folks below the normal intelligence levels are docile in any event, not aggressive

<<   2 >>

join