It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Rad - Protection From Radiation (Drug)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'll have to agree with FOX on this one... *shudder*

If this drug does what they claim it can do, this is truly a breakthrough in medical science.

In what has to be one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of military medicine, the U. S. military has developed a radiation protection drug known as Ex-Rad that can give protection through DNA repair against otherwise lethal dosages of radiation. Ex-Rad, which is administered as an injection or orally, can be given either before or after exposure. While Ex-Rad officials are continuing to work with the FDA, it has successfully cleared two clinical studies showing it is safe. Read more: foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

That's right folks, it even works AFTER you've been irradiated! Note that this development comes from the military and not the pharmaceutical industry, one of the least industrious and most profit-bloated entities known.

Ex-Rad is among a series of small molecule kinase inhibitors developed for modifying cell cycle distribution patterns in cancer cells subjected to radiation therapy, and it has been identified as a potential candidate for radiation protection studies. We have investigated its radioprotective efficacy using mouse and in vitro models. Thirty-day survival studies with C3H/HeN male mice revealed 88% survival when 500 mg/kg of Ex-Rad was injected subcutaneously 24 h and 15 min before gamma irradiation with 8.0 Gy. To understand Ex-Rad's mechanism of action, we also studied its radioprotective efficacy in lung fibroblast (HFL-1), skin fibroblast (AG1522) and human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs). Colony-forming assays indicated that Ex-Rad protected cells from radiation damage after exposure to (60)Co gamma radiation. A study using single-cell gel electrophoresis (SCGE; also known as the alkaline comet assay) showed that Ex-Rad protected cells from radiation-induced DNA damage. Western blot analyses indicated that the radiation protection provided by Ex-Rad resulted in reduced levels of pro-apoptosis proteins such as p53 as well as its downstream regulators p21, Bax, c-Abl and p73, indicating that Ex-Rad could rescue cells from ionizing radiation-induced p53-dependent apoptosis. In conclusion, it appears that Ex-Rad's radioprotective mechanisms involve prevention of p53-dependent and independent radiation-induced apoptosis.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

I'm guessing there are probably some side effects, but it would be better than the current alternative...
The first thing that came to mind when I read 'Ex-Rad' was 'Rad-X', a fictional drug from the 'Fallout' series that protected you from being excessively irradiated. If you wanted to heal your radiation sickness you would need another drug called Radaway. The beauty of this real drug is that it does both! Reality imitating art? How about reality getting the big trophy and sending art home to its mommy crying?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yeah... forgot to mention its probably too soon get supply to civilians but...

The U.S. Army recently recommended to the Office of the Secretary of Defense that Ex-Rad be stockpiled for the benefit of our military. That puts the ball in the court of Pentagon leadership to make certain one of military medicine’s most successful achievements in recent years is fully realized and able to benefit Americans. Read more: foxnews.com...

Maybe its ready, but who gets it is a completely different kettle of fish.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
OMG, what is wrong with ATS.
This should be on the front page
with lots of stars and flags and
an awakened public. But there is
no responses here. What a crock.

I saw this on FOX and was gonna post
it when I searched and found this thread.
S&F to the OP.

The public may not be able to get it
but you can damn well bet they got
those DUMBS stockpiled with this stuff.
Who gives a damn about the population
right ??? Ex-Rad renders Potassium Iodide
obsolete without the side effects or dangers.

I wonder if any of this stuff has made it to
the Japan's Emperor yet ??? Probably not.
So much for looking out for your allies huh ???

Great find OP
and a serious bumb from me.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
and from what I read in the article,
this could help in the cure of cancer.
Ex-Rad appears to be a DNA
rectifier, now on top of this just add
a tissue re-generator and that should
cure all cancer should it not ???

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
So I'm confused. Was there already a stockpile of it somewhere or a recipe for it somewhere? And I may just be a little ignorant on the subject but doesn't that sound like something that could have been helping cancer patients? I've heard the side effects from the rads are awful and if there was something they knew about this whole time that could have taken them away faster and more efficiantly, why hasn't it been used. Also, a little off topic but in the game Fallout, the drug you use to take away your rad poisoning is called Rad-X. Just sayin...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OrganicAnagram33

Well they need to stop draging feet on this one then. Do what it takes to get the stuff to Japan. So the fantatic 50 can get the job done and still have hope ! I hope, I hope.

SnF OP This is good to see, if it pans out.
edit on 17-3-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

reply to post by randyvs

You're right boon, it's something that can help fight cancer as well. I've also thought about what randyvs was saying... This drug isn't technically approved yet
, but the Japanese workers who are killing themselves to try and get the reaction 'under control' could have been provided this drug. Apparently extending a helping hand to useless eaters is out of the question. Can't have the masses know about this chemical.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This sounds useful
Green rust
edit on 22-3-2011 by 22ndsecond because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join