It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Red Dawn' Villains Switched from China to North Korea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

'Red Dawn' Villains Switched from China to North Korea

screenrant.com

The filmmakers behind the long-delayed ‘Red Dawn’ remake have decided to switch the villains from Chinese to North Korean, in an effort to increase the film’s box office potential in China.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I think this could potentially be a conspiratorial story for ATS to investigate.

In 2009-2010, the remake of Red Dawn was shot, starring Aussie Chris Hemsworth. The story was simple, after the US economy collapsed, Russia and China invade the US.

Now, in 2011, MGM is going back and spending over one miliilion dollars to digitally alter the film to make the PLA into North Korea troops.

This is very bizarre.

A reference is also made to a recently released game, Homefront, written by the original Red Dawn writer, as having its Chinese invasion forces changed to North Koreans.

So what is going on here? We can't use the PLA as bad guys in games or movies?

North Korea invading the states? Really? Really?! There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

screenrant.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Oh, so this is why they are in Mexico.
Lol, I thought they were about to attack us.

ATS, is always scarring me!
...............Sigh.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Um... no we can still use China, but if you use China you will make less to no money in China.

Changing them to North Korea is smart business, especially since HomeFront is a hit... and if the original writer is getting kick backs for the new film it would make sense to also get some free publicity.

Really this is just a business move.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I really do believe that the North Koreans could easily invade us.....I mean really...whats stopping them? LOL...just kidding. I agree it sounds like a business move to me as well. But I'd rather see it about China, cause we know there is no way North Korea can invade us.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I think it boils down to two simple things.

1. N.Korea has a more recognizable figure head Kim Jong-Il. I mean sadly if most Americans were asked they'd probably tell you that Mao was still in charge of China.

2. We really do not want to piss of China right now all things considered

edit on 16/3/11 by TrowaBarton because: Spelling as always

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAbsurdum

Homefront hasn't been a hit. It needs to sell 2 million copies for THQ just to cover what they spent on making and promoting it. It hasn't reached that figure. THQ's stock dropped 20% yesterday due to this.

That is not good business.

China as a film market is very small. As a game market it is primarily focused on online gaming and casual games.

The people at MGM and THQ know this. This was more than just sales.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrowaBarton
I think it boils down to two simple things.

1. N.Korea has a more recognizable figure head Kim Jong-Il. I mean sadly if most Americans were asked they'd probably tell you that Mao was still in charge of China.

Mao isn't in charge?

2. We really do not want to piss of China right now all things considered

I see more like 1.4 Billion people who now have some cash in their pockets to burn. Nothing to do with pissing them off.

Just good old fashion greed is all IMO.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
maybe they should change rambo 3 so rambo is helping the russians fight the taliban.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
And Patrick Swayze's dead, and Charlie Sheen is still alive. Ironic isn't it?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Well as far as "hit" or not, I disagree since the market is inundated with retrofitted CoD crap, but whatever...

It's good marketing to up the game sales, not too mention bring in more sales from those that have played the game.

You are obviously going to see a conspiracy where you want to, and if that means the video game and movie industry are working in tandem in order to protect potential Pro-Chinese American interests based off of a report about a film, I'm going to have to disagree with you because that makes about as much sense as Christianity.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Population estimate of North Korea as of July 2010 is only 22.6 million. US has them out numbered anywhere from 10to1 to 15to1. They're a backwater nation that can barely keep their people fed. I assume North Korea is using antiquated tools of war too. Even after an economic collapse of US we would slaughter them. I assume Russia is the other faction in the movie. Why in the heck would Russia need North Korea to tag along.

Bone headed move on the part of the movie studios. Red Dawn (the original, Love Jennifer Grey) ranks in top five movies of all time for me, hate to see a remake get wrecked in such a way.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by croweboy

It was a really bone headed move, considering the biggest film profit in China was from Transformers 2, at $59 million. TF2, aka Revenge of the Fallen, worldwide made over $800 million. $59 million isn't even 1/10th. BoxOffice mojo has it at $33 million, which is even worse.

Red Dawn's primary income would have came from the domestic box office.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
They're capitalizing off of Homefront which Milius wrote.

China still plays a major role. It's essentially the muscle and money behind NK. NK just takes the face of the opposition.

It's going to be more like Homefront and less like Red Dawn. I wish they would change the title of it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
really?

i would have thought a movie about china invading america would make a KILLING at the chinese box office.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

LOL, North Korea? Must be a comedy. They flying over in paper gliders too?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

Yeah, that's the big joke.

There's a lot more to this scenario though. Maybe not in the remake film but the book that was written by Milius was supposedly helped along by a couple of ex-gov trends, forecasting, CIA-esque types who do this sort of speculative war-gaming for a living.

Not to say that their rendition has any validity or likely probability but there is more to the story than just NK and their destitute poverty.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Being invaded by an impoverished and starving 3rd world nation with a very minor navy and airforce is very laughable. They better start growing some rations first, before building all those paper gliders and canoes.

Sounds like this sequel to Tomorrow, When the War Began would be more interesting. First part was well done.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The Chinese in Red Dawn were on NATOs side, they were the ones who got into a scrap with the Soviets first and the Russians nuked them.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

The gist of the timeline, it's been a while since I read the book, is that the US goes broke followed by all of it's trading partners like Japan, South Korea and a bunch of Europe.

Some international politically correct pressure and bleeding heart nonsense gets taken advantage of by NK's headed by Jong Il's son and a weak Hilter-esque peace treaty gets signed that does a semi-unification thing.

Then China moves in with it's money and muscle and gives Jong Il's kid whatever he needs to make the new unified Korea great while he pulls some political crap with China to hop up the ranks a bit with them.

Once that's settled with Korea and China they invade Japan who's broke and weak.

The US situation is so bad that entire cities are just villages of squatters and unemployment was something insane like 40% or more and all of the American military bases across the globe abandoned and much of the military gear sold off to China. The US asks China for economic help like luring Chinese manufacturing jobs and such over here. Chine decides to send Jong Un (I think he was Un) to oversee the American Relief operation.

That's the foothold then NK launches some satellite that's supposed to help restore national communications for America that turns out to be an EMP that fries whatever is left then they start the full scale invasion.

So it's a little more than just a bunch of underfed slaves swimming over on rafts made of chicken bones.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join