It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Radioactive Place on Earth and It's Just 130km From Ireland - Sellafield

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The Most Radioactive Place on Earth and It's Just 130km From Ireland

THERE is a lake so radioactive you will die if you just LOOK into it for a few hours - and it's 130km from Ireland. Below the surface lies material so unstable it will explode if the air gets at it. It is so toxic it pollutes the wind that blows over it. So lethal that seagulls must be shot if they land on it to prevent them becoming radiation carriers.

The massive radioactive lake at the home of the British nuclear industry in Cumbria contains millions of litres of deadly radioactive water and sludge. The huge B30 tank is the size of three Olympic swimming pools and is just a few hundred metres from the Irish Sea. The lake has been used as a nuclear dump since the late 1950s, but even Sellafield bosses are not sure what lurks in its depths.

They dont even know what lurks in its depths ?!?!? !

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e21140d49f81.jpg[/atsimg]

They do know it contains up to 1.3 metric tonnes of plutonium, the most deadly substance ever created.
Cant believe this is REAL !

The town is located in Sellafield, Cumbria, UK... The company is also called Sellafield.

Radiation around the pool can get so high that a person is not allowed to stay more than 2 minutes, seriously impacting decommissioning. The pool is not watertight, time and weather have created cracks in the concrete, letting contaminated water leak.

How? HOW! How can humans be so stupid?
edit on (3/15/11) by AllSeeingI because: format

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
People have been campaigning about this place for years. I just don't get why we needed it in the first place.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I want to see some pictures, what's the lake called?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
We used to joke that if you went into the water in Dundalk bay you would come out glowing because of Sellafield. Still went in though...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I know of this place being from the UK and have heard so many things about dodgey going ons.

Here's some links:

SELLAFIELD STAFF SHOCKED AT COLLEAGUE’S SUDDEN DEATH
www.newsandstar.co.uk...

'Dirty bomb' threat at Sellafield; Staff vettig loophole raises
findarticles.com...

Sellafield body parts families given government apology
www.bbc.co.uk...

Sellafield kept body parts of dead workers
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I cant believe I have never heard of this place until right now.

Originally posted by PoorFool
I want to see some pictures, what's the lake called?

I think it is more like a giant pool rather than a natural lake.

The huge B30 tank is the size of three Olympic swimming pools and is just a few hundred metres from the Irish Sea.

edit on (3/15/11) by AllSeeingI because: format

edit on (3/15/11) by AllSeeingI because: added info

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

130km from Ireland?? What about the poor folk who live next door to it in Cumbria?

Anyway, I suspect that if the truth be known there are probably a few places like that around the globe. Let us hope that some good will come of the current events in Japan and that TPTB finally stop relying so heavily on nuclear power as a replacement for fossil fuels - how they can justify calling it a 'clean' form of energy is beyond me.

peace
J

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Sellafield have a notoriously terrible safety record in disposing of its waste material.

Thought I would raise this for those who haven't seen it.

Mark Thomas Comedy Product Series 2 Episode 3 Sellafield and Mice

The Mark Thomas Comedy Product was a Channel 4 series aired in the late 90s (UK) broadcast by Mark Thomas (a UK political activist/comedian) in which he uncovered some pretty dodgy on-goings. This particular episode seemed fitting to this thread and covers a lot of issues surrounding Sellafield

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
THIS Article is FANTASTIC... Its HUGE... Im getting an infoGASM from this article.
Guardian - Sellafield: the most hazardous place in Europe

Check it out yourself.... it comes from the UK's Guardian and its a long informative article all about Sellafield and Tank B-30

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d3b2404b2a7.jpg[/atsimg]
Does look ominous, doesn't it? Like some super-villain's lair.

Photos of B-30: I have been looking and so far unable to find photos of the ACTUAL B-30 Tank... I wonder if the radiation messes with the camera's, or its just north the risk for a photo. Not really a tourist spot.

edit on (3/15/11) by AllSeeingI because: typo, format

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Found the pool in question

Edit: (Not the pool in the article another waste storage facility inside)

Check out this quote too:

1997. Three thousand molars extracted from British 13 & 14 year-olds were checked for contamination.
Every single tooth contained traces of Plutonium.
Not surprisingly, children living over one-hundred-miles away from Sellafield had less than half the amount of Plutonium in their teeth as children in Cumbria on Sellafield's doorstep.

www.sxolsout.org.uk...
edit on 15-3-2011 by Big Raging Loner because: Remove pics.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Your facts are wrong. The most contaminated place on Earth with radioactive material is Mayak Nuclear Complex in Russia.The radioactive pollution is estimated to be 5 times that of Sellafield.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
True story.. It's ok, nothing sinister....

Years ago, some friends and I were walking on the beach on the coast around Seascale, not too far away from where Sellafield is. It was around 4am in the morning, just starting to brighten up (Late summer, early Autumn) and we noticed a rather disturbing phenomenom.

As we were walking on the sands, we were leaving slightly luminous footprints behind us. More blue than standard "comic-book radioactive green", but still. Rather worrying seeing as we knew what kind of industry this part of the coast was famous for..

After a few nervous laughs we went on out merry way and, bear in mind this is before the rise of the internet, decided to do some research at a local library and a few knowledgable folk that we knew. No worries, it turns out it is a kind of phosphorescent/bioluminous algae or phytoplankton that visits our shores at certain times.

I've since seen the same luminescence watching the tide come in at night at certain times of the season, once again late summer/early autumn watching the tide come in at New Brighton, on the Wirral peninsula near the city of Liverpool.

So, that was that. As above, nothing sinister, at least not in a radioactive sense...

Another story, this time possibly a bit more sinister. Again, years ago in the height of summer, driving around with some friends near Betws-Y-Coed in Wales. All starting to overheat a bit, we spotted what looked like a lovely lake for some skinny dipping to cool off in. Had a good splash around, commented on how lovely and warm the water was and had a cracking afternoon just playing around in nice warm sparkly water.

Turns out this lake was was, amongst other uses, used to provide water for the Trawsfynydd nuclear power station...

I'm nearly 40 now and I still don't glow in the dark, so I suppose I've gotten away with it.

edit on 15-3-2011 by Lozzo because: dodgy spelling.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Here we go!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0aa13a87110f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3956104ae64.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Just got done uploading the Sat Photos from Google Earth...

Full Sellafield Site - With what I believe is the B-30 tank at the very bottom of the photo... the green round tank near the coast. The tank was described in articles as "outdoor", "covered with algae so thick you cant see into it", and "100meters from the shore"... Based on that info I am assuming this is B-30
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b5c3012775a1.jpg[/atsimg]

Based on that info I am assuming this is B-30
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d2f3270e8ec.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on (3/15/11) by AllSeeingI because: typo

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
So if shtf how far would that go.....not England....please

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

It's scary how close that is to the sea.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Ok guys Ive been taking a close look at the site and I noticed something...

There is a 13 mile beach there at Sellafield. The area nearest the site has a dark black algae or sludge on the beach. Note the red area showing the area of this algae growth or sludge or ?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e92f02966f27.jpg[/atsimg]

Zoomed In...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/572c93674801.jpg[/atsimg]

Zoomed in more...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b97d72b4b26d.jpg[/atsimg]

If this was a game like Sim City ... that almost looks like computer game "pollution" doesn't it?

Weather it is actually pollution or just random algae happened to only be near the site.
I still find it rather interesting.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Here is the max zoom that is clear enough. Any closer zoom starts to pixelate.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bdcc020172b7.jpg[/atsimg]

Up close looks like a very dark green something. Even if it is only algae. Why is it only right by the site?

edit on (3/15/11) by AllSeeingI because: code

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

More than likely seaweed washed up. I live near the west coast of Wales, and see a similar spread of stuff all along the beaches here at low tide. I was slipping and sliding upon some only the other week when the kids and I went up to Aberystwyth.

Mind you, it's still the Irish Sea....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by skjalddis

130km from Ireland?? What about the poor folk who live next door to it in Cumbria?

Hey.... I was just using the Source Article's Headline as per ATS rules. I meant no offense. I found that phrasing a bit odd, myself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join