It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thumbs up Thumbs down System?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Hi all i have a suggestion to the site owners, how about implementing a thumbs up and down system like we have on youtube for posts?

Instead of just seeing how many people agree with the post, it would be interesting to see how many people disagree with a post.

Good idea? yes no? Maybe

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
It makes sense, and brings fair balance to the topics.

I'd give this the thumbs up

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thank you Acid, i see alot of posts which need a thumbs down (People making sick comments on the Japan Disaster) i wish they could be thumbs downed.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
That idea would work if people used it correctly. They probably have not already done that because some folks would abuse it. A poster may disagree with another in one thread and then give a "thumbs down" to any and all posts/threads that the other poster makes. One unpopular opinion could cause a member to receive a constant barrage of negatives for the duration of their membership.

Sadly some people hold grudges and take critisism like 2 year olds. If not for that, the system you propose would be excellent.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

That's true and a good point. Also, in having seen such a system used other places it often just gives those for and those against whatever issue / topic is being discussed another way to voice their support / disagreement.

For example in the great and hotly contested debate of Pie vs. Cake someone may make a post espousing the virtues of cake over pie. It will get thumbs down from all the Pie lovers and thumbs up from all the cake lovers - so it really doesn't serve a much of a purpose on those cases other than to give a rough count of how many people on the particular board / thread are in the cake or pie camp.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Accentuate The Positive

This comes up periodically, and while I can't speak on their behalf, the owners haven't been very enthusiastic about negative rating systems.

There are a lot of problems with rating systems in general, especially in a community like ATS where differing opinions are not only tolerated, but encouraged. The very fact that we discuss "alternative" topics means that they tend to fall outside the boundaries of mainstream thought. In such an environment, what matters is not how popular an idea is, but how credible it is.

Thus it is to be expected that some of us will express opinions that most of us may disagree with. In such cases, it is meaningless to push a button to express disapproval. If we disapprove of an opinion, it's incumbent upon us to explain why we disapprove. Anything less would degenerate ATS from a forum for challenging orthodoxy into an ad hoc Ministry of Truth.

If one of us doesn't like a post, that's fine. If that same person can't be bothered to explain why, that's not fine. Rejection of differing opinions without reason is the antithesis of critical thinking.

And if it is the aim of a rating system to decide what opinions are appropriate and what are not, then such a system is nothing more than a tool for imposing conformity.

That's not what ATS is about. :shk:

Having said that, there is one form of "thumbs down" available to all members. If you see a post that violates the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use, you can ALERT us to it, and if we agree that it does violate the rules, we'll take appropriate action.

But if a post doesn't break the rules, then it is as valid as any other post made in these forums, and nobody has any business trying to "vote it off the island" merely because it offends their sensibilities somehow.

At least, that's my tuppence, YMMV.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

What Majic said.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Ok, in that case it probaly wouldnt work

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

There are a dozen threads on this already.

They wont do it because it will get abused, plain and simple.

Personally I think they should just get rid of all stars and flags. Its about content not who gets the most attention, maybe then some of these ridiculous threads will get lost on the boards because the good ones will actually have a chance.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I have to agree. While I don't necessarily resent the current system of stars and flags, and understand the thinking behind it, the fact remains that some of the finest threads and posts I've ever seen on ATS are also some of the least popular under that system.

It may be less convenient to directly evaluate the quality of different discussions than to "follow the stars", but I still think it's the best way.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I think its a great idea but as cited by a few including a mod it isn't going to happen. Seems everyone is scared to allow members to vote should they NOT like a topic, post or thread. The current system allows anyone to give it a flag or a star if they like it but should you dislike it then the attitude is, just go away.

Not much denying ignorance there.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Accentuate The Positive

But is that fair? I say no it isn't. The reason?

If you operate within the context of being fair and impartial then EVERYONE gets a vote. However when you place a focus on one aspect and not the other then you have a one sided system. Everyone should be able to vote for his or her favorite threads by flagging/starring. And as such, within a fair system, they should also be able to give them a rating that signifys that they either disapprove/don't like it as well. Not everyone likes every thread they read for any given reason, and some I'm sure would like to voice that opinion. If you wish to go around in life all postive & feeling giddy about everything then fine, go right on and give out the flags & stars. However if you are on the other end of that spectrum you should be able to vote equally. With no exceptions.
edit on 3/15/2011 by Humint1 because: text

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

I don't think ATS is impartial.

I think it's very partial.

To truth, intelligent discussion, community and civility.

We are the "alternative" thinkers, all of us. Simply by coming here and expression an opinion that is not the one found on your big box news stations is what makes this place great.

I don't agree with a lot of the opinions I read on ATS. However I would not feel it fair to be able to call out those members in some negative rating system. I'd prefer to debate and interact with them and learn something. Good debates are always positive, even if your the looser.

Cause you learned something.

Quality Over Quantity

~Keeper
edit on 3/15/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think it's very partial.
To truth, intelligent discussion, community and civility.

I noticed the word fairness isn't in there. Left out by mistake?

If your going to have a system that disallows one side but allows the other, that isn't fair & impartial no matter how much you feel the desire to defend it. After a while within a one sided system people begin to actually believe what they are told. Even when their soul knows it isn't fair at all.
edit on 3/15/2011 by Humint1 because: Spelling error

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thank you Acid, i see alot of posts which need a thumbs down (People making sick comments on the Japan Disaster) i wish they could be thumbs downed.

I now understand its not a good idea on a site like ATS.
edit on 15-3-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

I addressed fairness here:

I don't agree with a lot of the opinions I read on ATS. However I would not feel it fair to be able to call out those members in some negative rating system. I'd prefer to debate and interact with them and learn something. Good debates are always positive, even if your the looser.

As for it not being listed, it is impossible to use all applicable words in a descriptor and therefore I relied upon spirit - not realizing that somebody would come along and nit pick.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I just came along to post a similar request.

We can give stars in agreement I'd like to be able to give black marks or something in disagreement as sometimes I really want to make it known that I disagree with some horrible post that someone has made but I don't really want to get into an argument with them about it and de-rail the thread...

you get my

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

If we disapprove of an opinion, it's incumbent upon us to explain why we disapprove. Anything less would degenerate ATS from a forum for challenging orthodoxy into an ad hoc Ministry of Truth.

The trouble with that is that when comments are made as has been the case in some of the Japan threads explaining why you disapprove can just exacerbate matters and de-rail the thread somewhat.

A black mark doesn't have to mean anything other than someone has disagreed with a statement.

It wouldn't have to affect your ATS points or whatever they are in anyway but it would give people the chance to disagree without getting into an unnecessary argument.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Thumbs up Thumbs down System?

Just do bear in mind that popular opinion does not always equate with truth or fact. It merely reflects what most people think and if history is any guide, base-opinion means about as much as a bucket of poop.

In the larger sense...

About the only place where popular belief holds court is in political elections and even then, the slick bureaucrat will slip by and find a seat in spite of what we think.

This is the most fundamental flaw in human culture and why after all these long centuries, we still often rely on faith in deity.

We know, instinctively, how imperfect we are and as such, understand that no government or system of any kind conceived by man, will ever achieve the end-term society that we seek.

Here on the web, things are the same in a microcosm.

edit on 15-3-2011 by redoubt because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join