It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We distort, you decide!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Has anyone else noticed that everyday, FOX gets more extreme. Its like the most bias media network ever! Way more bias than networks such as Al-Jazera. I loved FOX. They started out bringing a new perspective, and occasionaly, both sides of the issues. But now, its insane what lengths they will go to, just to distort the truth. Or is it just me?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Actually I was watching the news this morning with the friends group, and this people bashed Kerry so openly it was funny and then went on defending bush actions and how his daughters were going to boost his opinion polls I just started laughing.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
The most recent example is something Bill O'Reilly just covered, which I encourage everyone to watch when it repeats tonight. O'Reilly was just speaking about "trouble in Canada". Canada is getting the Al-Jazera media station, but not getting FOX News, which troubles O'Reilly. One of the guests was making the point that Canada's media is fairly conservative already, and adding another conservative network wasn't what they wanted. Then O'Reilly brought up a recent poll which I believe was Canadian children 14-17, in which 35% said America was a evil country. Now O'Reilly takes this as something is wrong in Canada. He even goes so far to say that if you polled American kids, they wouldn't say that about Canada.

Is he insane? Canada doesn't go to war with other countries. Canada cares much more about its citizens health and wellfare than mega corporations, war, and keeping the public in fear. How could you possibly think Canada is messed up? Yes, it must be because of the Canadian invasion of Iraq! Oh wait... Thats us. Then it must be the fact that 1 in 75 Canadians are currently in jail, and 1 in 5 will go to jail in their lifetime. Oh wait... That's us again. Then maybe its because of the mortality rate in Canada, or the abortion rate, or all the horrible things those dirty Canadians do... Wait... Thats not Canada. Thats the good ol' USA.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Oh screw O'Reilly. It was fun to watch him fumble and flaw for a while, but he's lost his mind now. It's not even funny.

He cited a non-existent magazine the other day to prove his Fox led trailor park boycott of France cost them over a billion dollars.

That stuff was funny for a while, but it's just sad now. Al Franken even changed the name of his O'Reily spoof show because Bill and Fox are such a dead horse it's pathetic.

Ignore them. Let them die with Bush.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Actually a recent study presented at Yale states that Fox is the least biased of the major networks. I posted a thread about it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think that some people are so used to the leftest bias of US news that Fox just seems to be more conservative.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
Actually a recent study presented at Yale states that Fox is the least biased of the major networks. I posted a thread about it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think that some people are so used to the leftest bias of US news that Fox just seems to be more conservative.

Did you bother to read the study you cite? To claim that this study measures media bias in any meaningful manner is ludicrous. The study looks at which members of Congress refer to which media sources, and where on the left-right spectrum these members of Congress fall. The fact that liberals rarely refer to right-wing sources like Fox and Drudge, but frequently refer to ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. is used to conclude that Fox and Drudge are unbiased, but ABC et al. have a left wing bias. The reason liberals rarely refer to Fox and Drudge is because they know these news sources are extremely biased and unreliable.

It is preposterous on the face of it to claim a media source is biased based on who refers to it. I have enough of an academic background to tell you that this study is a POS, despite its academic trappings.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
donguillermo

This study has nothing to do with members of congress citing news organizations. The fellows that created this study looked at the top 200 "think tanks" (RAND etc.) in this country, and how often the were qouted on the floor of the house and senate over a seven year period. Then they looked at which member was quoting which think tank and "scored" the think tanks on a scale. Once that is done, they reviewed the the media outlets for qoutes from the same think tanks and compare them to the average member of congress.

The results are astounding! As I said on the other thread, CBS News is more likely to qoute from a liberal think tank than Senator Joe Biden, who as you will remember was a democratic presidential contender in the not too distant past.

Although slightly to the right, Fox news is the organization most likely to quote from liberal and conservative think tanks. In other words, show both sides of the issue.

I think it is the most "unbiased" and scientific work on media bias I have ever seen, sorry you don't see it that way.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
In all the years I has been in the US I still can not understand the liberal and conservative concept.

To me one media group is called conservative because it favors one particual candidate, and then immediately the other media group is liberal, like good and bad, positive and negative and so for.

I don't get it! To me in my eyes everybody is liberal, bush preaches but his dealing with this country and his personal business affair are to me radical and perhaps? Liberal?

Kerry does a conservative approach to his campaign but his views of certain groups are radical? Or perhaps liberal?

I get to the conclusion that is nothing conservative about bush but his preaching. And nothing liberal about Kerry but his views on certain issues.

I think I am going crazy with the liberal conservative bs.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seth Bullock
Although slightly to the right, Fox news is the organization most likely to quote from liberal and conservative think tanks. In other words, show both sides of the issue.

I think it is the most "unbiased" and scientific work on media bias I have ever seen, sorry you don't see it that way.

Not to make a big deal out of this but you do see the inherent contextual flaw in this painfully massaged methodology don't you? Namely that there is no context. Merely counting "quote" hits on a network that deems it's priority mission to out the far left wing "insanity" including "the most dangerous organization in America...the ACLU" shows nothing other than hyper sensitivity to all things "liberal". They quote "liberal" think tanks all the time in order to BASH them. And man they love showing Ted Kennedy spewing data. :shk: He's probably half their "liberal" hits right there.

It doesn't matter how many leftists Fox quotes, when the actual newscasters don't even try to hide their bias or disdain for said quotes...it's BIASED. Have you seen that morning show? It's a travesty. They act more like Bagdad Bob's for Bush than journalists.

When Katie Couric starts gushing about how sexy Kerry is, or Soledad begins interjecting how the NRA has lost it's mind, then I'll concede that Fox is just like every other network. But as it stands, they aren't even close.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JabbaOnTheDais
The most recent example is something Bill O'Reilly just covered, which I encourage everyone to watch when it repeats tonight. O'Reilly was just speaking about "trouble in Canada". Canada is getting the Al-Jazera media station, but not getting FOX News, which troubles O'Reilly. One of the guests was making the point that Canada's media is fairly conservative already, and adding another conservative network wasn't what they wanted. Then O'Reilly brought up a recent poll which I believe was Canadian children 14-17, in which 35% said America was a evil country. Now O'Reilly takes this as something is wrong in Canada. He even goes so far to say that if you polled American kids, they wouldn't say that about Canada.

Listen Jabba on the Daise,

Bill is right, and that ahole he had that was sitting ont he right last night was your typical ahole libreal professor... He was an author but he is the poster boy for people on theleft in Canada.

People are brainwashed there and don't even know it! There is no #ing conservative magazine they are all LIBERAL, i've lived there my whole life ok now that i'm here I see how opporessed people are there and don't even know it ok. The liberal government is brainwashing people and especially in a time like this with the Canadian brain drain syndrom going on they are now forcing docs and nurses to stay and work for 4-5 yrs in canada before they go work in the states because there is more money to be made in the states then in Canada. Doc's only take home 40,000 after taxes, they take 50% of what you make once your in a high paying position like that, they don't want people to be successful there trust me, it's not an open market, they will claim it's just like the states but it's not.

That author got me so pissed off last night, he was full of #!
He lied or he's made himself believe this or he's just as brainwashed as the rest of them, nobody in CAnada takes the time out to research things, I did, the government doesn't care, why is that socialized medicine isn't working? They are going to raise taxes AGAIN so they can get more equipment because the lineups are too long, I just tried to get an ultrasound in michigan for my breast and the ministry of health told me they wouldn't foot the bill because I could go to a hospital over there which I couldn't. So where's my right in this whole thing? I don't get any because it doesn't exist. I've paid my fair share of taxes and their telling me they won't pay for it even though it's come out of my pocket. They act like they personally have to pay the bill, it's discusting...

I am appalled with lib government over there, it just goes to show that the libs there are so afraid of losing power they will use any means to keep people one sided.
The elections just happened and the libs who have been in power 20+ years have seen that conservatives came really close to beating them and that scares them. So the media like the cbc distort tv, they say it's canada's most trusted news source it's dictated to by the FEDREAL GOVERNMENT! The prime minister gets to appoint the chairman and dadadada.
He can easily take the job away too, he has that power.

It's not the most trusted name in Canada, they #ing like like a rug! I've seen it with my own eyes.
These people there are getting only one side and yep they have CNN there, which is mostly watched, we know more about whats going on in the states then here most of the time...

YOu have NO IDEA what your talking about. The lib gov is paranoid, they don't want conservative news because then they'd lost their jobs.
The elections proved that too.

And don't harp on Canadians people they don't know what the truth is
which is why they say the U.S is evil, their own government is evil and they don't know it, don't hate, just pity em, they truly are brainwashed...

That ahole is just like alot of teachers: Rolling their eyes if they don't agree with the kid, giving bad marks because it's the opposite view from theirs, subjecting their thoughts to the student body when they SHOULDN'T BE...

You really have NO IDEA what it's like living there when you find out what I did, it's almost like walking amonst zombies, i've gone out many times and people in bars were just as stupid! I was thinking "wake up" people your totally brainwashed! But many people don't want to take the time, they will just believe whatevers on the news because they haven't gotten the notion that news is decietful... Especially the CBC, CNN, CTV, and all the NEWSPAPERS like the the national, toronto star, toronto sun. The national is discustingly liberal...

That guy really did piss me off he was so full of # and didn't even know it.
That's how bad it is...
Canadian just don't know and it's the governments fault for not keeping it fair and balanced...

Reallly, fox news wouldn't hurt one bit but that won't happen because the libs would be out of a job...

[edit on 21-7-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
And don't harp on Canadians people they don't know what the truth is
which is why they say the U.S is evil, their own government is evil and they don't know it, don't hate, just pity em, they truly are brainwashed...

This is exactly my point. How is Canada evil? This is just Americans once again believing we're the only righteous country in the world and anyone who disagrees with us is "evil" or a terrorist state. If you watch FOX, you are told not to trust the UN, France, Germany, and now even Canada - one of the best countries ever! Just because they think going to war and murdering countless thousands is bad, we have to pretend they are somehow this evil country. Canada didn't use atomic bombs on cities, killing thousands.... that was America. And now we call them evil?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Jeez whats with all this Canadian Bashing going on lately? What have we done to the US other than not getting involved in a war that Cannot be completely won(Iraq). We don't allow Fox to be broadcast, and you call us Brainwashed. We have Universal Health Care and you call us Commies. Jeez in the past couple of weeks I've been insulted by just about every Right-Wing nutjob on these boards who hold a grudge against Canada just cuz we didn't support ole Bushy in his personaly vendetta(or Oil war) against Iraq. GET OVER IT!

The Main reason why the Liberals barely won the last election was because ALOT of people remember the disgracfull Conservative Gov'ts we have had in the past. Remember Mike (5 Billion $ Deficit) Harris. Remember Brain Mulrony, and remember the reason he stepped down and basically threw Kim Campbell to the Wolves? I'm not gonna state the obvious here but we have had our share of Conservative politics and Canadians have rejected them. END OF STORY. And oh yeah we do have conservative news sources just to let you know. CanWest is very conservative and reminds me ALOT of Fox news. Then there is the National Post and Globe and Mail newspapers which are pretty conservative as well.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Ha, ha, ha, does anybody have seen one of bush daughters sticking her tongue to the press from their limousine is all over the news

Nice oppinion buster for bush.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Why should we trust the U.N., france, or germany. Do you believe that france has the U.S.'s best interests in mnd? I always assumed the French would have whats in the best interests of France in mind. Just like germany, just like the U.N. just like all countries. Did france care that brokering illeagal oil deals for saddam, was not in the best interests of the U.S.? No they only cared that it was in Frances best interest. I think you might be a little naive about Europe my friend. As for liberal media well I am forced to watch CNN europe or euro news and I will definately say the news here is biased. Not just torwards the left but specifically against america. Especially (surprisingly) Discovery Europe. The fact is all media is biased in some form because the news is written by people and unlike in the past, these people want to tell us what thier opinions of the facts are a opposed to (best joe friday voice) "just the facts sir"

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Especially (surprisingly) Discovery Europe.

Wow I never knew that a channel dedicated to Discovery would get into politics. Discovery Canada is nothing like that, and I know cuz I watch it all the time for the express purpose of escaping politics for a short while. It's my stress reliever, well that and a good Blunt and a Beer

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Ha, ha, ha, does anybody have seen one of bush daughters sticking her tongue to the press from their limousine is all over the news

Nice oppinion buster for bush.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Now has anyone uncovered a news story that Fox News twisted and distorted? I am not talking about adding a right wing slant to it, or commenting on it. I want a news story like the Enron scadal for example, something like that. Has there been a news story thats was distorted by Fox yet totally differnt on CNN and MSNBC? Like twisting the facts.

E_T

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

"In almost every act of our lives whether in the sphere of politics or business in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires that control the public mind."
-Edward L. Bernays

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of."
-Edward L. Bernays

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts."
-Albert Einstein

"All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field."
-Albert Einstein

Need to say more? I think these put it very well to short form.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Now has anyone uncovered a news story that Fox News twisted and distorted? I am not talking about adding a right wing slant to it, or commenting on it. I want a news story like the Enron scadal for example, something like that. Has there been a news story thats was distorted by Fox yet totally differnt on CNN and MSNBC? Like twisting the facts.

Well, if you don't think Bill O' Reilly reporting findings of a fake French Economics Journal is bad, I don't know what to tell you. But I also recognize he's part of the largely entertainment based programming of Fox and not news. So perhaps the little 5 minute segments bookended by hours of partisan insanity is fairly accurate, but I still think the big picture is purposefully distorted and misleading.

From my own experience I can say I did use to watch FNC a majority of the time (especially during the war) and then just flip channels occasionally for other coverage. I understand you're dismissing the commentary of people like Mancow and the whole Fox N Fiends morning show, but here's an example of what can happen.

I was watching Fox when Bush landed on the aircraft carrier. E.D. Hill went on and on about Bush being a pilot and specualting that he may have flown the plane himself, since he's 'qualified'. They then "analyze" that the jet missed the first catch wire (which a Navy pilot would have hit according to military expert and former Texas beauty queen E.D. Hill) and consider that lends credibility to the possibility Bush landed the plane. Upon exiting the plane they show a reporter asking Bush if he flew it, to which he joked "Yes, I flew it" then E.D. Hill goes nuts talking about how she just knew it, she just knew it! There you have it folks, how awesome is that. And isn't he sexy in that flight gear. On and on...

Meanwhile, CNN is doing a bio on Commander "Skip" Lussier that actually had the honor of piloting the President. Not a partisan piece or bashing Bush, just a well researched mini-doc obviously prepared beforehand as it had to be common knowledge and part of a Navy press release about who would fly the President.

I watched Fox ALL DAY after that and they never corrected the glaring insinuation that Bush landed his own plane (that I saw) or credited the real Top Gun Commander Lussier.

To demonstrate how that effects people, I spent the next week arguing with bona fide crazy people on AOL boards that said Bush landed that damn plane...and probably still believe it, because ED Hill is an idiot.

Shortly after that I stopped monitoring Fox altogether because it was just too big a joke to even care. I also quit AOL. And if people want to believe Bill O'Reilly single handedly took down the French economy or Bush flys jets in his spare time...fine. There's really no point in arguing with them.

But I would suggest Canada show FNC. Canadians should really know what they're in for. I don't think for one second Fox would make Canadians turn conservative. It would just make America look even more stupid. Man, as much as they bash Canada (especially O'Reilly) by all means show it.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
by Rant

I watched Fox ALL DAY after that and they never corrected the glaring insinuation that Bush landed his own plane (that I saw) or credited the real Top Gun Commander Lussier.

What do you expect for somebody that never finished his pilot training and got in the national guard with a score of 25.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join