It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Sardines washed up in the MILLIONS in fact Died from a Powerful NEUROTOXIN-DOMOIC ACID!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
www.highdesert.com...

Toxic sardines could pose challenge for composter
March 14, 2011 3:09 PM
Brooke Edwards

VICTORVILLE • The discovery of a powerful neurotoxin in Redondo Beach’s sardines could threaten a local composting facility’s ability to turn the fish into a rich, highly marketable soil amendment.
(goto link above for the rest of the story)

So not a word of this in the main stream media. Most of the US believes that they died from the lack of oxygen theory...
edit on 3/14/2011 by YAHUWAH SAVES because: typo

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'm sorry where in that post does it say domoic acid as the neurotoxin?

I just want to know where you read this so i can do some research into the breaking down of this toxin (if it can) and how it ended up in the ocean in such a high concerntration to wipe out such a large number of fish!

Here's some wiki info HERE

But i still cant find any proof that it was this particular toxin that has caused the damage.
edit on 14-3-2011 by uselesshobo because: Link added

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by uselesshobo

if you click the news link it will state the rest of info... domoic acid... etc.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by YAHUWAH SAVES

Thanks for this. Looking forward to reading the rest of the story tomorrow. Wondering how toxic fish can be converted to organic fertilizer.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by YAHUWAH SAVES

if you click the news link it will state the rest of info... domoic acid... etc.

I have read the link, and domoic acid is not written there unless i am blind. I am going to tripple check and i'll get back to you.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NazcaP

EXACTLY! It cannot be! They should be automatically useless!

How many other fish and sea life are going to have high levels of this Toxin? That is the real question here!

This is a B I G D E A L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Info on the toxin which seems to be from algal blooms in the ocean..

wikipedia.org

...Domoic acid can bioaccumulate in marine organisms such as shellfish, anchovies, and sardines that feed on the phytoplankton known to produce this toxin. DA can accumulate in high concentrations in the tissues of these plankton feeders when the toxic phytoplankton itself is high in concentration in the surrounding waters...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

"However, experts believe the domoic acid detected late last week will be reduced to safe levels through American Organic’s stringent composting process."

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Its confirmed I have SRDD (Selective Reading Deficit Dissorder)
Its a self diagnosis.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

hahaha Okay also I think I need to send you a check and perhaps we should invent a prescription for this dissability that we both have LOL.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

So, essentially, this toxin is naturally occuring and is known to accumulate in these kinds of fish.. It's also worth noting that it would appear this Domoic Acid is only a neurotoxin in mammals, not fish, so they can't have died from it.

So, my question is, why is this even worth mentioning?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by JacKatMtn

So, essentially, this toxin is naturally occuring and is known to accumulate in these kinds of fish.. It's also worth noting that it would appear this Domoic Acid is only a neurotoxin in mammals, not fish, so they can't have died from it.

So, my question is, why is this even worth mentioning?

Well they said they will be using it as fertalizer, so i believe the fear is we can end up consuming it and therefore making a few people sick. Im still researching to see if this is possible. but having a busy morning at work. Its irrelevent if thats what killed the fish, whats MORE important is if this poses a threat to mankind. this still remains an important thread.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Well, my point was this seems to be a naturally occuring toxin that is common in these fish anyway, so it's presence in these fish is hardly noteworthy, as claimed by the title of the thread.

It's like dioxins in Salmon, they are there and always will be, but there are safe levels for human consumption, as I am sure there are with these toxins too, if they are prevalent in nature, otherwise sardines and anchovies wouldn't be eaten in their billions..
edit on 14/3/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

noted and understood.

perhaps more investigation is in order as to the effects this could have on the soil. and wether or not overtime the toxin will break down in the soil. will it affect micro bacteria? or worms? are there some plants that wont be able to grow in the acidic environment? only time and further investigation will tell.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

That's VERY interesting considering they reported testing the water and found no evidence of algae bloom (red tide) or anything else that might explain the deaths. There are threads on this site with links to the story where officials are quoted as saying this.
This is an AWESOME find, S&F for your efforts.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Many scientists agree that increases in algal blooms in California and around the world are caused by a combination of factors, including agricultural run-off, oceanographic properties, and global warming. Many of these blooms produce chemicals that are dangerous to humans when concentrated in the food chain. In the case of domoic acid, both shellfish and fish can concentrate the toxin.

Source

While harmful algal blooms are often termed "red tides" because of the color of some algal species, we cannot always see these blooms just by looking at the water. To detect these harmful blooms, scientists monitor plankton and domoic acid levels in mussels. In California, harvesting of mussels and other shellfish is banned when their tissues contain levels of domoic acid over the deadly 200 parts per million. At lower levels, however, there is no public warning system.

"I wouldn't eat shellfish during any sort of harmful algal bloom, especially not if I was pregnant," says Gulland.

Congrats to the OP. This seems like a good issue to raise. Especially if you are pregnant...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

THank you and I look forward to even more light on this topic!

top topics

join