It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston to host first all black spelling bee

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Some are questioning plans to host an all African-American spelling bee in Houston this spring, saying it sends the wrong message to students.

Kids from five local schools will compete in the first-of-its-kind spelling bee in May. Organizer Jacqueline Terrell insists it helps level the playing field for many students.

"Most children that make it to the level to compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee, are either homeschooled or attend private school," says Terrell. "They have more access to one-on-one training than children in public or inner city schools."....

Link

Nothing like the system reaffirming a black kid's blackness.
If I was an African-American parent I would be mortified and justifiably pissed off..

No race card to see dealt here folks........move along.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Sure why not, its not like people like MLK have died trying to bridge the black/white gap. Seems like we are going the opposite way here. I could say more, but why; I would just be called a racist for disapproving.

edit on 14-3-2011 by minigunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Bigotry is prominent in countries where it is repeatedly highlighted.

The official line is "race (or gender) does not matter", and if it was followed, the issue of bigotry would be almost insignificant.

Instead, the media goes out of its way to point out the first "black man", "American Indian", "woman", "black woman"... etc. to accomplish something. When their race or gender is insignificant to the accomplishment at hand, and pointing it out simply leads to placing emphasis on these differences.

(example: Space travel... yes, it is an impressive accomplishment, and those who have had the chance deserve all the credit in the world, however, the race or gender of astronaut "Pat Jones" is insignificant to this accomplishment, only you can bet it will be repeatedly mentioned in every news media outlet.)

the Billmeister

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It is very racist but beyond that it shows how pitiful public schools are.
What I get from this is (this is how I read the article not necessarily what I believe)
Black kids aren't bright enough or able to learn as well as white or latino kids so they need their own spelling bee
or
Public schools are just another entitlement, you get credit for doing nothing basically.
or
they just want some dumbdonkey (like me) to say something bad about it, much like the bleeding hearts of ats, so I can fill the much needed racist spot and they can feel fulfilled in their daily lives by exposing the white racist monster.
It's not just the black spelling bee but all things that one race thinks it has to have to feel up to par with other races or even to stroke its own lil ego.
If I were a truely proud black man I would tell em to stick their entitlements up their butts cause I know how to earn what I have and I don't need some govt handing things to me and keeping me in slavery to them.
But overall this is my opinion and it doesn't mean anything in the long run

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Ah, the soft racism of low expectations.

Stunning.

Then again, maybe this is just a publicity stunt meant to draw attention to the plight of public and inner city schools.

Of course, if they use the exact same word list as the big national spelling bee, they may end up illustating any number of potentially intriguing points. As an education advocate, this seems worth watching.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Although I do support the equal rights of America's African American Population, I can guarantee that if there an All-White Spelling Bee, it would be shut down. So I really do think the message is wrong here.

Same as Women Only Events can be held but try to host a Man-Only Event. Guaranteed, there will be Women at the door demanding their rights.

PC is not a 2-way street.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Probably some BS government project with funding to help the vote banks during the future election?
Who knows..who cares. It is not right to conduct such an event based on race. I am not worried or concerned for the non-blacks since knowledge and education cannot be stopped for those who truely want to learn. Besides I highly doubt it that this program will go too far based on the other government/non-government sponsored minority development programs.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
reply to post by Dr Love

Although I do support the equal rights of America's African American Population, I can guarantee that if there an All-White Spelling Bee, it would be shut down. So I really do think the message is wrong here.

Same as Women Only Events can be held but try to host a Man-Only Event. Guaranteed, there will be Women at the door demanding their rights.

PC is not a 2-way street.
hahahaha...i bet the women will be demanding lot more than their rights. Its in their nature.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

The thread in my signature covers similar situations like this and why I think it happens.

It is designed to create more race issues IMO. This should not be happening for any race. We can't be integrated if we are constantly divided into groups. We can not stand if we are constantly divided.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Will "Fo'sheezy" be one of the words?

Or perhaps the ebonics version of "ask"......lemme axe you a question.

The rocket scientists who thought of this idea should be exiled to some deserted island somewhere so they can't infect anyone else with their stupidity.
edit on 14-3-2011 by HaveAnotherOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
If blacks want their own separate things, I suggest we give it to them. Withdraw all funding for everything black people use, and lets see how they do on their own.

Since they are "so proud to be black", they should have no problems supporting themselves as a whole for once.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Completely agree with you! Host anything that is all-White and it is racist and evil, but apparently all-Black events aren't held to the same standard. I'm all for equality and brotherhood, but sometimes minorites just push the gaps even further apart all by themselves.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Look, facts are facts... under normal circumstances, these students would be nonexistent in such a competition due to the likes of Asian and Caucasian students who excel WAY beyond them in the realm of academic contests.

Honestly, they wouldnt have the chance to do this if up against Asian and Caucasian students, so why not just limit the contestants to themselves sort of like the Special Olympics?

Hopefully they try to keep out the Ebonics BS though as that is just complete foolishness.

edit on 14-3-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I don't see a problem here. I mean as long as they keep the Asians out of the spelling bee , then the other kids have a chance. Sheesh, everyone knows the Asians are good spellers. Hey I need to borrow 5 bucks, has anyone seen that rich Jewish kid?

This is something I like to call reverse Darwinism. It won't be long before we can move back to caves.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
white isn't a colour
hope that explains the problem

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
How do we find out if we are Black or not?
I mean during most of the year my skin color is darker than some so called black people I know.
Where do we draw the line?
or should I say why are people drawing lines?
Being English, Irish, Welch, Cherokee, Apache, and Filipino makes me wonder why people try to separate themselves from others.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Pathetic! i wonder who would come knocking on my door if i established WET TV, White entertainment television? You know goddamn well Reverend Jackson and Sharpton would be on my door step calling me a racist.

They want there own spelling bee, and own language etc etc....fine. Cut all funding to the Unconstitutional programs out of the budget, thus not being a burden on the tax payer, and allow them to fend for themselves! They seem so " proud ", so let there proud beings, get off their couches and start being a productive member of society. Not likely, but it never hurts to watch....

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Last I heard downtown Houston has something like 90% black population, so Houston could probably have an all-black spelling bee without even really trying.

I'm still not really sure what to think of this though.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

O my, dere gonna be some kerazzy spellins on that date fo sho. Just kidding kids, don't get all in a mess over my sarcasm.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by HaveAnotherOne
If blacks want their own separate things, I suggest we give it to them. Withdraw all funding for everything black people use, and lets see how they do on their own.

Since they are "so proud to be black", they should have no problems supporting themselves as a whole for once.

lmao

seems like someone had one too many.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join