It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I am not worried about Japan’s nuclear reactors.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Interesting article. Indicates this plant unlike Chernobyl is non-lethal and radiation leak is extremely low.

Now, where does that leave us? My assessment:
* The plant is safe now and will stay safe.
* Japan is looking at an INES Level 4 Accident: Nuclear accident with local consequences. That is bad for the company that owns the plant, but not for anyone else.
* Some radiation was released when the pressure vessel was vented. All radioactive isotopes from the activated steam have gone (decayed). A very small amount of Cesium was released, as well as Iodine. If you were sitting on top of the plants’ chimney when they were venting, you should probably give up smoking to return to your former life expectancy. The Cesium and Iodine isotopes were carried out to the sea and will never be seen again.
* There was some limited damage to the first containment. That means that some amounts of radioactive Cesium and Iodine will also be released into the cooling water, but no Uranium or other nasty stuff (the Uranium oxide does not “dissolve” in the water). There are facilities for treating the cooling water inside the third containment. The radioactive Cesium and Iodine will be removed there and eventually stored as radioactive waste in terminal storage.
* The seawater used as cooling water will be activated to some degree. Because the control rods are fully inserted, the Uranium chain reaction is not happening. That means the “main” nuclear reaction is not happening, thus not contributing to the activation. The intermediate radioactive materials (Cesium and Iodine) are also almost gone at this stage, because the Uranium decay was stopped a long time ago. This further reduces the activation. The bottom line is that there will be some low level of activation of the seawater, which will also be removed by the treatment facilities.
* The seawater will then be replaced over time with the “normal” cooling water
* The reactor core will then be dismantled and transported to a processing facility, just like during a regular fuel change.
* Fuel rods and the entire plant will be checked for potential damage. This will take about 4-5 years.
* The safety systems on all Japanese plants will be upgraded to withstand a 9.0 earthquake and tsunami (or worse)
* I believe the most significant problem will be a prolonged power shortage. 11 of Japan’s 55 nuclear reactors in different plants were shut down and will have to be inspected, directly reducing the nation’s nuclear power generating capacity by 20%, with nuclear power accounting for about 30% of the national total power generation capacity. I have not looked into possible consequences for other nuclear plants not directly affected. This will probably be covered by running gas power plants that are usually only used for peak loads to cover some of the base load as well. I am not familiar with Japan’s energy supply chain for oil, gas and coal, and what damage the harbors, refinery, storage and transportation networks have suffered, as well as damage to the national distribution grid. All of that will increase your electricity bill, as well as lead to power shortages during peak demand and reconstruction efforts, in Japan.
* This all is only part of a much bigger picture. Emergency response has to deal with shelter, drinking water, food and medical care, transportation and communication infrastructure, as well as electricity supply. In a world of lean supply chains, we are looking at some major challenges in all of these areas.

worldpress link
in the article. skip down to 'construction of japan's.....'

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Nice post. Hopefully this article will lessen the posters here who are already covered with fear.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
everyone needs to read the greatly detailed explanation of what the reactors are, how they work, and what has happened to them.

It has made me feel much, much better.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I am sorry but I think rating this at level four is trying to downplay it.

I would have to rate it at least level 5.

Level 5 event = Accident with wider consequences.

We simply do NOT KNOW yet how bad this could be. It will take weeks to months to gauge the consequences, so let's please play this safe and go with slightly worse than what the authority admits.

Better safe than sorry!
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

IN the case that this could be a level 5 event, do not worry or freak out, there are simple and easy to follow precautions we can all take to mitigate the danger posed by such an event.
International Nuclear Event Scale

Now, I am going to pimp my thread I just wrote detailing exactly what to do in the event of nuclear fallout. Preparation is very simple and can save your life. We simply do not know how bad this is, so let's please think clearly and take precautions just in case.
How to survive Nuclear Fallout, a Guide.

I apologize but this information is very important and it's getting buried far too quickly this morning as the news flows in. I have to push this information as it pertains to THIS topic and I have extremely good sources and legit and effective information to provide.

Let's make no mistake about it.
Panic is mindless, but preparing for a potential fallout event is prudent and intelligent. We simply do not know the severity yet, and the govt is not exactly being forthcoming about that at this moment. Even they may not know exactly. So let's be ready just in case. Hell, we should be prepared for all types of disasters all the time, not just when they happen because it's almost too late at that point.

I am not worried either why? Because I have a shield that can protect me, and that shield is legit and reliable information that will prove effective at protecting me and my family from any potential outcome of this situation.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Posted yesterday, before all the recent problems: www.abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT: And here's a little tip for everyone, when the Government keeps trying to convince you all is fine, but there's very little or contradictory information being released, and explosions happening...you might want to be a little skeptical. I've learnt this from experience, and I have a feeling I'm seeing the same thing here.

edit on 14-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
everyone needs to read the greatly detailed explanation of what the reactors are, how they work, and what has happened to them.

It has made me feel much, much better.

Just because they are extremely well built and have many layers of protection built into them is not a fool proof safety plan.

A fool proof safety plan is to be prepared for any disaster, all the time.

Don't count the chickens before they hatch.

Let's be ready, keep our eyes/ears open, collect information, stay on top of this.
Let's gauge the effects day by day.

Than in a month, when all is said and done, we will know exactly how bad this situation really is.

I do not think this is a level 6 or 7 event, the reactor is simply too well constructed.
However, this could potentially develop into a level 5 event, rather than the level 4 being touted in the press.
Here is detailed information about the Fukushima Plant

edit on 14-3-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The U.S. be moving it's ships near Japan after recording increased radiation levels 100 miles offshore. The article I saw said it was equal to about 1 months natural background radiation exposure. The question I had is that per minute or day that is equaling 1 months natural exposure.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Kaploink because: meh

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by true-life

The title of this thread should read, "Why I am terrified about Japan's Nulear Reactors". Ummm...even MSM were voicing loud concerns...eeshhh.

CJ

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I have some nice property I would like to sell you here in the upper north east. A real bargin.

Listen they will never tell you the facts.

Fact cesium was detected in the air. That means the rods were exposed enough to the point they stated to melt. When this happens this is a melt down. Go look it up. When this takes place radion is released into the atmosphere.

The air is bad .

Why do you think the us just had to move all the ships down wind of this. Why because the air is toxic. The next time you watch the news take note of the black helicopters fly over the place. They are monitoring with thermal and radiocative detectors. They were there for they first couple of days and then were told they had to leave as the rad count was so high they were receiving extremly high doses of radiation.

This is fact.

They will never tell you the truth.

Like catrina only a couple of thoundred die right. Go look at the estimates of how many died in Katrina. Do you believe it.

Now Japan was saying up to a couple of hundred then a thousand. I can say for a fact that the number is a couple of houndred thousand. I have been to Japan I have seen how over crowded it is or was. Japan is a small island and the island is pretty crowded in the city and just ouside of the city. I'm curious if someone can look at the cities impacted and look at the apoximate number of people who were in those citiy prior to the hit. And now you look at the maps and photos and look what is left for people.

If a million have died I would not be surprised. I suspect the num,ber to be way under reported.

Thye will nver know how many were washed out to see and how many got burried under rtubble.

Sad sad sad peeps.

I pray for them all. They are my friends.

I have been over there many times.

I was in a hotel when there was a 5.9 and i was on the 14 floor and let me tell you I was on my bed reading a book and the whole bed lifted up and like dropped back down like someone was under my bed pushed it up with there feet and dropped it back down. I was feeked out and the building was swaying fron to back and the hangers in the closet were all chiming . I grabbed my passport and my wallet and through on my cloths and grabbed my BOB and ran down stairs all the way down very fast. When I got down there the chandier was swicnging back and forth and people were running out in the street. The lady in the lobby said don't worry go back to your room. this is a new building and can with stand a much larger one than that. I said no thanks and went to the vending maching and filled my bob with beer and sat outside until I was #ty then went back to my room and passed out.

I can not comprhend to the extent to which that must have been like..

I pray for you all.

Be safe...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join