It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan will never be the same just like USA after 9-11 and we should recognize that

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The perceptions of the Japanese have been changed after this event. Just like American's perceptions were changed after 9-11. Whenever perception changes on a mass scale there could be changes in society because some people will try to take advantage of that change in the public's perception to further their agendas or because changes need to be made after learning from the event.

I have mentioned this in previous posts before, but I have a background in advertising. They do not try to change your mind with advertising, they try to change your perception. Now I am not saying that this earthquake was a conspiracy, I am just pointing out the fact that whenever something traumatic happens it changes your perception. Your perception is what can affect what your beliefs are as it offers an influence in your interpretation of facts.

I think the possible changes in Society can be put into two categories which are scientific and fear. We should hope that most changes in Japan go in the favor of science and not fear as fear is a left over irrational human behavior from evolution that is more instinctual then learned. 10,000 years ago fear would be more important then ration. Just think that we should all at least realize that this is happening in Japan and pay attention to changes this may bring. My heart goes out to all the people in Japan.
edit on 13-3-2011 by ProfATS because: Changed paragraph structure

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
At least I don't think Japan will start a "war on terror" against earthquakes.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
i think japan has already had its major catastrophe in its recent history...this hasnt topped it yet...you remember the A bomb...actually TWO abombs...that was their 911....this is their oklahoma lol[
edit on 13-3-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfATS

And do you remember how united the USA was after that? How it didn't matter if you were black, white, or any other ethnicity we all banned together and got along? Now 10 years later it seems like were back to normal on the whole tolerance issue and just left with a tragic disaster. I just hope they can get through this and when they do, invent some awesome form of electric generation thats better and more efficient than nuclear.
edit on 3/13/2011 by LiquidNova because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
i think japan has already had its major catastrophe in its recent history...this hasnt topped it yet...you remember the A bomb...actually TWO abombs...that was their 911....this is their oklahoma lol[
edit on 13-3-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

I hear you but...not a big percentage of population was alive when that happened much less old enough to remember how it changed society.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
The US was different for about a year, then we went back to being our lazy, ignorant, fat, entertainment idolizing selves. Plus, you can't compare a natural disaster which washing away towns and villages and killing 10s of thousands to our own government sacrificing citizens lives to engage in a war to protect oil as well as the further institution of a police state by creating the illusion of safety and terrorist groups.

I get what you are saying, but you are way off the mark. Japan has endured more pain and suffering in the last 60 years than the USA can comprehend.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidNova

I agree. Some form of safe energy,not near the sea,where Tsunamis cant affect it. I see these Nuclear Plants,and for the life of me wonder why they would build them near there. Why build ANY on an Island,that has earthquakes or Volcanoes?
edit on 13-3-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
They need to make a big O hole in the ground and drop the bugger into it, bye bye not much else you can do with it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by djtek
The US was different for about a year, then we went back to being our lazy, ignorant, fat, entertainment idolizing selves. Plus, you can't compare a natural disaster which washing away towns and villages and killing 10s of thousands to our own government sacrificing citizens lives to engage in a war to protect oil as well as the further institution of a police state by creating the illusion of safety and terrorist groups.

I get what you are saying, but you are way off the mark. Japan has endured more pain and suffering in the last 60 years than the USA can comprehend.

In the last 60 years you say? Well you talking about something big that happened and has left us with babies that are 60 and did not remember how it changed society and people that are 85 and remember what happened. And yes, you can compare this to how the US population changed its mind about things after 9-11. I am not saying their opinions of civil liberties will change... but maybe how they perceive what is important. Maybe they back off from technology some.. which is interesting because they are huge believers in it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfATS
And yes, you can compare this to how the US population changed its mind about things after 9-11. I am not saying their opinions of civil liberties will change... but maybe how they perceive what is important. Maybe they back off from technology some.. which is interesting because they are huge believers in it.

wait, wait , wait ...what? so you are saying people here in America now perceive what is really important in their lives since 9-11? LOL, thank you for the biggest laugh I have had all week so far

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfATS

I do agree with your assertion that this will undoubtedly alter the Japanese identity and consciousness in some definable and real way. Disasters always weave themselves into the fabric of society for a generation or two. But I would less compare this to "911" and would say that this is more akin to "Katrina".

Once the emergencies and immediate concerns are dealt with, I think the Japanese will probably address whatever failures in their system become prevalent. Of course the nuclear issue will be in their dialogue. As will any other logistical shortcomings that occur over the next few weeks.

And, of course, they will mourn and have remembrances.

But when it is all said and done... There won't be an outrage or any opportunistic hijacking of patriotism or pain. The enemy here is nature and the Japanese have a long, long history of dealing with nature and accepting the concept of karma. Sometimes the divine wind destroys your enemies... sometimes it destroys you.

If any change happens it will be a return, in Japanese culture, to trying to better serve that karma.

My .02 cents.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfATS
And yes, you can compare this to how the US population changed its mind about things after 9-11. I am not saying their opinions of civil liberties will change... but maybe how they perceive what is important. Maybe they back off from technology some.. which is interesting because they are huge believers in it.

wait, wait , wait ...what? so you are saying people here in America now perceive what is really important in their lives since 9-11? LOL, thank you for the biggest laugh I have had all week so far

You are cynical in my opinion. First off.. Japanese culture is not the same and we are here in the US. I did not say that Americans now perceive what is important after 9-11. I said, maybe the Japanese culture will change after this event. This is much bigger loss of life in a much smaller country then US. I will not respond to you anymore so write what you wish. Peace

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Thank you for being the sound of reason.
Japan suffered 140,000 deaths because of the US in a single day, end of story.
9/11 doesn't come remotely close

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
One thing I learn from the West (I originated from the East
) is that after SHTF....the society will likely become every-man-for-himslef scenario......as oppose to help-one-another. 9-11 event truly reinforced our UNITY, but it also in a way raised the level of hatre for Islam and Middle Easterner in each and everyone of us (myself included).

new topics

top topics

join