It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet and cell phones the 'best weapons against dictatorships'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Internet and cell phones the 'best weapons against dictatorships'

www.rawstory.com

Decentralized communication technologies, such as cell phones and the Internet, are the best way to ensure the spread of democracy around the globe, according to an study published in the International Journal of Human Rights.

Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter have become an important tool for democracy and human rights activists in the Middle East and North Africa, where it has played a pivotal role in helping organize protests against repressive governments.

"TV is especially bad for human rights, because the government can feed propaganda to the population," said the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Agree in large part with much of this, although, as we have also seen, they are not entirely fool proof, as varying corrupt gov institutions have severed net connection in many of these uprisings.

And one must also guard against being manipulated via ANY medium, including the net. If it can be done through other mediums such as televlsion and radio, it can surely be attempted through the net as well. Discernment and getting information from the widest variety of resources possible is key imho.

And in this regard, at this point in time---The internet is king.

Hopefully it will help us against our own dictatorship---And I'm not talking about our politicians, but the ones pulling THEIR strings. lol

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
here is the fulltext pdf from the linked study.

now readers can view it.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

Well caught detective, but NO. While they have played a part in some of the mass uprisings, they can only advance TPTB agenda.

On the one hand sure you can communicate, but you need a cell phone for that, with a contract, GPS, call logging etc. This is a typical bait and switch move. Facebook, don't even get me started on 6 degrees.

Short term perhaps some advantages can be construed, but long term you will be owned.

Unfortunately, that's their goal,. and ALL technology is more useful to them than you.

peace

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
if I had to engage a wall of people
which would I choose for them to carry?

Cell phones and laptops???

or machine guns ???

I'd rather them have cell phones
and laptops, those don't shoot
bullets.

but each his own I guess.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

"TV is especially bad for human rights, because the government can feed propaganda to the population,"

And TPTB doesn't use the internet for the same goal???

Actually the internet is a much more dangerous propaganda medium because we are unaware we are being fed propaganda!

Here is a recent and very harmful example:

In the fight over HR 875 and the other food safety bills, we farmers found out that if some one was an "authority" and said "the Tester amendment exempted producers with less than $500,000 a year in sales " then it did not matter if you quoted the actual bill and showed it was a scam. Because Organic Consumer Assoc, the Consumers Union and several other front organizations said we were "dis-info agents" we were accused of internet HYSTERIA!

Again a step by step analysis of the FACTS spouted by TPTB front groups did nothing even when backed by a lawyer who even pointed out

Lori Robertson of FactCheck.org, who is not a lawyer (she has a B.A. in advertising), claims the bill doesn’t apply to “that tomato plant in your backyard.” As a lawyer, I am skeptical of this claim...

As far as I can tell TPTB has a whole arsenal of weapons they use to herd the sheeple. If herding does not work they just lobby/bribe/threaten law makers, get the law passed anyway and the heck with people opinion. We will shut up after the next staged distraction.

Speaking of lobbying, here is information I dug up in 2007:

“Patton Boggs began as an international law firm concentrating in global business and trade in 1962...We were among the first law firms to recognize that all three branches of government could serve as forums in which to achieve client goals, enabling us to emerge as the nation’s leading public policy law firm, and we have developed our extensive business law capabilities into the firm’s largest practice area.” www.pattonboggs.com...

A newer version is:

Patton Boggs is based in Washington DC, where the firm has been a leading member of the business and legal communities since our founding here in 1962. Long recognized as the nation’s leading public policy law firm, Patton Boggs was a pioneer in merging public policy expertise with traditional legal practice. Today, professionals in our Washington office are recognized internationally for their in-depth knowledge of how government works, their strong, bipartisan relationships with policy makers, and their skill as advocates for their clients... www.pattonboggs.com...

Patton Boggs is also one of American Banker’s Top Lead Legal Advisors and the firm is one of the world’s Top Patent Firms. Patton Boggs reported nearly $41 million in lobbying revenue in 2009

Guess WHO worked for Patton Blog??? Ann Veneman who was floated as a possible running mate for OBAMA!

Obama Considers Monsanto Ally, Free-Trader & Biotech Bully Ann Veneman for VP

Ann Veneman joined the United States Department of Agriculture's Foreign Agricultural Service in 1986, serving as Associate Administrator until 1989. During this time she worked on the Uruguay Round talks for the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT).

In reflecting on Veneman's record, Meatnews wrote that she "played a key role in eliminating trade barriers and expanding opportunities for American farmers through new export markets. She has worked closely with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Zoellick, helping lead to the successful launch of a new round of trade negotiations for the World Trade Organization. SOURCE

edit on 9-3-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

top topics

join