It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the world and perhaps the universe too complex and "mysterious" to truly figure out for humans?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Like, there are so many theories going around about the world and the universe. Like how the world works, the paradigms of the world, who "controls" the world, etc... How do to discern the "truth" from all of that? Also, same for the universe. What if all or any of the theories generally accepted about the world and the universe are wrong? Basically, is life too complex to truly figure out without hesitation?
edit on 7-3-2011 by sphinx551 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Finally someone with a little sense...Good Post....

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
simple short answer
yes

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Lets see here the universe is approximatively 4.5-14 billion years old since the time of the big bang. Mankind has been around for only a few million years. We have a long way to catch up, and since we never will. The quick answer is, life's meaning is to come to the understand that you can't know everything.
edit on 3/7/1111 by Golithion because: Dunderhead moment

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
yeah I agree with my colleagues here that yea it is hard to understand. And thats why I study and try and learn from what I calll the masters of the universe. (wait wasn;t that a heman thing?)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
To assume that even a majority of our universe/reality can be understood by tiny little monkey brain is ridiculously arrogant. The smartest thing someone can say is I don't know for sure.
I don't care how smart you are. We can't even begin to define 'everything', let alone KNOW everything.
The wisest people are the one's who realize how tiny their place in the cosmos is.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I've always wondered this and the answer might be yes, but is the universe to complicated for computers to understand? maybe not... there are certain things in the world that are beyond human intelligence and we require computer to do the work for us such as particle simulations, MD5 encryption or even low level MSQL database's (used for websites).

My point is just because we cant fully understand or comprehend something doesn't mean we cant build something that can interpret this for us, there is a lot of thing in the universe... theory's, mathematics that are too complex for our brains to calculate alone thus we have calculators and computers I believe in the future we will rely more heavily on this sort of thing to further understand everything, but I think your question is asking wether there is a limit to what we will EVER find out, to an extent yes but you don't have to know the inner mathematics of something to understand its function and as long as we have computer's to do that I'm sure we will keep on discovering more and more.

link   
not really, we are being played here on this planet.

by our own stupidity and short sighted leaders.

we could figure out the universe in 37years if things went as they should.

link   
reply to post by sphinx551

I think it's probably easier to figure out than we think. We look too deep into things and in doing so, create more questions. Sometimes a pebble is just a pebble. Not really important to dissect it down to microscopic elements. As soon as we do that...more questions that don't seem necessary. It's still a pebble.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551
Like, there are so many theories going around about the world and the universe. Like how the world works, the paradigms of the world, who "controls" the world, etc... How do to discern the "truth" from all of that? Also, same for the universe. What if all or any of the theories generally accepted about the world and the universe are wrong? Basically, is life too complex to truly figure out without hesitation?
edit on 7-3-2011 by sphinx551 because: (no reason given)

Sounds to me like you figured it out buddy.

Nice paradox that is eh?

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Well It would take alot of minds, with lots of eyes, looking at alot of things, in lots of spots,
for along long time.
So yeah, Its probably to big for us to discover all its beauty.
But that is, its beauty.
Something new every day.
I for one hope we never work it all out.
Just leave us a few little mystery.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

we could figure out the universe in 37years if things went as they should.

I calculated it as just over 38 years, but I will agree with your timeline if you can explain it to me.

The real question isn't whether the universe is too complex for humans to understand... it's "Are humans too dumb to see whats there in front of them?" Answer: Of course we are.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I think the question is.. Do we really want to know everything? B/c once we did then what? It'd get very dull in a hurry! Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

sphinx55,

I think the problem is not in the answers........it's in the questions.

It's inherent to human nature to question. What would we do without it??

I believe nothing is "too complex" for us, it's just that our conscience mind forces us to doubt the information given only to perpetuate the illusion that it is responsible for the answers found.

Peace

edit on 7-3-2011 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551
Basically, is life too complex to truly figure out without hesitation?

Nope, it can be explained in two words.
But they are very expensive.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Of course it is. How can a finite intelligence comprehend an infinite universe, or possibly a multiverse? If there's a god responsible for all this, this is probably his or her greatest gift to us sentient beings: a never-ending mystery we can never exhaust.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Yes. I do believe that existence is well beyond the scope and capacity of the human mind to experience, let alone grasp. Unless of course, the universe really is just a figment of our imagination.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
what is there to figure out. if you take God out of the equation, you're left with random and idiotic theories.

physicists observe the universe over and over again and are left amazed at the order and complexity of it.

it is in perfect harmony, millions and millions if not billions of laws and matter not to mention time in unison to make life and the universe possible.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
The problem is, the answer everyone is looking for is the thing doing the looking.. It's impossible for an eye to see itself without a mirror(reality).
edit on 8-3-2011 by SeeingBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
You don't know until you try.

I also think its possible to get the "theme" without the entirety.. the details take scientific and intuitive efforts I would assume.

But I consider something like say.. the golden ratio in nature, what things could represent as a symbolic concept etc.. I look at my hand and I see a humanly perception of my hand, I don't see the cells, the atoms and what could be infinitely smaller. But there are implications of an infinite nature, which to me tells me the entirety can never be grasped but you can expand that understanding and experience. I just see the paradox as the entirety. So even though I can't see all the details, and everything I'm told about science or spirituality that I have not observed, and even then if I were to observe them, I am looking through with a biased view and limited understanding etc etc... but all that out of the picture I think the basic theme is there, a theory to build the framework of that understanding.

I just take it a day at a time as it feels important. There are endless things I want to know but none of them I feel I can know for sure. So in that sense I also attribute knowing as it pertains to it somehow being used. There is usually a feeling attached to it.

I lived the past few years of my life in a very philosophical light but I found what I was looking for and I'm rather happy to be doing the mundane physical things now. I guess I realized that even in my ignorance of it all that there was still something inside me that I could trust, that it was the root of all questions, some sense of fulfilment, call it karma, your life's lessons / work. That live in the moment # makes sense because sooner or later you realize it's all you got to work with, don't let the past drag you into the present so that you are never fully focused in the present, and don't let expectations of the future drive you insane.

I'll say this man. You don't know until you try. I never thought it was possible either. The poor bastards that listen to me now, I don't think they realize that I still don't know #.
Everyone and everything seems to understand peace and good will as being beneficial, so that is what I share now. I for the most part keep my mouth shut.

But through my efforts to try and understand, I have changed so much and continue to. I look back and see needless struggle. I wouldn't have it any other way. I really wouldn't. It's hard to believe. It's harder to believe what I was rather then I've become, because I understand what I've become, which is why I became it.

Try to understand, but approach it from an angle of how it pertains to YOU.. I mean understand how the universe and everything fits in it, but try and understand its usefullness to you as it feels required right now, and I think you'll find piece by piece what you are looking for.

The fool in his ego thinks he is wise, while the wise one knows he himself is a fool. Understanding comes but I guess it always has a bias, a limited perspective, and thus how can we ever know anything with full accuracy when the full picture isn't there to begin with? Should we even try? Well we're doing that right now so the question seems irrelevant, as long as we are with our curiosity and desire for understanding.

Once again, it seems at least to me that i'm stuck like this for now.. and that my understanding of myself reflects my understanding of the world and vice versa, and all I can do right now is take it a step at a time in the direction that feels right.

I don't place too much severity on it. I just live in a way that feels the most fulfilling.

peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join