It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Letter to God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Dear God,

As you know, for the entirety of my life I have believed in your existence and benevolence, even in the face of persecution and doubt. I have used faith to bolster myself when I was weak, and have relied upon the Bible and its parables to see me through the stormier time of my life.

As such, I now can't help but to think it was all for nothing. That the chance of you existing, in the form that mankind assumes you to, cannot be true. And that if you do exist, then our minimal understanding of you would lead to nothing but greater heartache than that which most of the world already suffers each day.

Help me to understand why the wicked prosper, time and time again...
Help me to understand why the righteous and meek are trodden underfoot, repeatedly, and yet still extoll your name and worship. Is fear truly such a great motivator...
Help me to understand why you, as our 'father', seek for us to 'worship' you and do your will, when we raise our children to love us and to do better than us and to reach for greater levels of happiness and accomplishment then we have...
Help me to understand that, for all of your omnipotence, you choose to sit on the sidelines of the battle of good and evil that the Bible speaks of, as mankind lingers in death and doubt...

Evil is winning while you, the supposed ultimate power for good, do nothing. "Faith" is nothing more than a copout for us not to question you or your will. If your will is infinitely wise, then it would relish the chance to prove itself under intense scrutiny. Thus far, faith does not pass muster for those of us who choose to step away from our emotions and familial traditions and look at you, the almighty, in a reasonable and factual way.

In short, God, if you do exist, you are most certainly not benevolent and could not care less for us, your children.
I ask you, beg you to prove me wrong. And not by making my family or loved ones suffer, as tends to be the case when one questions you. How about a nice miracle... or some good news to counteract all the evil and wickedness in the world? Less 'faith', more 'action, please.

I await your reply, but I will not hold my breath.
I've done far too much of that already.

Sincerely,
Dreine
edit on 7-3-2011 by Dreine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Free will, god can't intervene.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Avpreality

If God is real, the word "can't" bears no meaning to him.
If he is, afterall, omnipotent.

Perhaps God simply does not care.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
If he can't, then he isn't all powerful. If he won't, then he is evil and doesn't care.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I used to believe too. Years of watching the world and of course my own circle has changed ithat. How can someone supposedly so loving allow people to suffer so much when they are meant to be so powerful. Surely they could help these people? Surely they WOULD help these people?
I can't believe in a 'God' who can sit by and just watch.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avpreality
Free will, god can't intervene.

That is, if you're ONE type of christian.

If you're another type, it's predestination.

But then ALL christians are true christians except for the dissenters, who are heretics. Eventually leading to the interesting observation, that most christians are heretics.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ScorpioRising

That's how I feel. If God is really there, how can he allow us to wallow around blindly, suffering, and simply let us be?

That's counterproductive to everything I know as a parent.

He left us with a babysitter (religion) that has done wonders at keeping us bloody with senseless wars and stymying humanity's creativity and need to explore and question, all the while emptying our pockets and abusing our trust.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

I guess it will be a question of max half-an-hour before 'mysterious ways' turn up. Always a safe card in a tight spot.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Perhaps.
It's not my intent for this thread to be an attack on Christians. My Father is one, as is my Mother and my wife. And although it's painful for me to admit it, I simply cannot reasonably believe that I should worship a being who either..

A) Cannot exist as we think he does, or
B) Idly sits by and does his best Nero impersonation

I wish I could say I still think God loves us and wants what is best for us. I cannot.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Karma rules this world, God has no reason to intervien because this creation is perfect. All the suffering you see in the world was created by each persons own Karma.

Look at our past, human history is nothing but senceless killing, torture, genocide etc etc... Its no wonder the world is such a mess.........but we created it.

The world is exactly how it should be without a doubt.... Don't blame God for the mess, blame man kind.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

If karma ruled this world, it would be more balanced.

The wicked would get their comeuppance.
The good would see the fruit of their labors.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Karma is a myth, much like faith, only less religious in nature.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Not that all Attorneys are evil, Dreine, but do you know the reason that Lawyer jokes are so popular? If you do, then imagine, as I do, this: Satan is the greatest attorney-minded sleazebag in existence.

He appealed to God's fairness with the most intellectually devious and malicious appeal ever conceived. He stated that you were worthless, faithless, certainly as guilty as he, and that given the chance…he could prove it.

So God, having faith in you dear child and, further, wanting to unequivocally delete this kind of soul-stealing meme from the cosmos gave the ol' devil his day in court. Satan demanded some stipulations and God granted them so as to be totally free of any charge of unfairness once and for all.

If you look around this world and see the cesspool that I do…don't blame God. It's that alleged "light-bearer" dude AKA The Father of Lies. A hedonist par excellence who loves to "jack" the system just to see what it will do.

That's what sin is--a "jacking" of the ways that bring peace and happiness for the thrill of "seeing what this baby will do." At least that's part of it imho.

I've been a baaad boy in my day but I slowly came to the realization that the "freedom" that Satan offers ended up hurting and psychologically damaging folk and my own self to boot.

The good news is that the Court is about to convene. Righteousness--and thereby God's will--will prove it's worth beyond any shadow of a doubt. That's my take.

Don't toss away your faith, Dreine…it's the same as tossing away your vote for all the things you say you yearn for. Peace, Brother, a better day cometh.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
reply to post by Akragon

If karma ruled this world, it would be more balanced.

The wicked would get their comeuppance.
The good would see the fruit of their labors.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Karma is a myth, much like faith, only less religious in nature.

I disargee, this world is perfectly balanced. Your thinking in material means...the wicked do get their "comeuppance" unfortunatly its not always in this lifetime...Of course i have no proof of it, but if a man is "wicked" in this life he still has free will, so hes free to do so.... buti believe his wickedness will come back to him.

Remember what you see as wicked might not be according to God... Its not our place to judge who is wicked and who is not.

You're born into whatever you create for yourself. From there you chose your path...
edit on 7-3-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Ye of weak faith. Maybe you should really be asking God that than trying to make a point out. You read the bible as much as I have you know the answer. SATAN WANTS TO DESTROY GOD AND HIS CHILDREN. The fallen one cannot attact Jesus anymore. So he attacts God's chilren. Again ye of weak faith. God told you that they would hate us, kill us, and yes even break us down. Satan wants us to not believe in truth.

What did you think when God wrote down " I send you out as SHEEP AGAINST WOLVES. You thought God was playing???

I say this # to much. Life after death is a big gamable. You said that you did everthing God said. Well you didnt stay strong in the spirit. Thats where you failed God

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

your whole understanding of God and his nature is wrong.It seems to me that you wish that God could somehow contradict his own terms.If you are truly serious and really want to know why things are the way they are, you must first ask yourself, and diligently seek, all there is to know about the nature of God and man. Start with spirit.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by slymattb

I'm only human, I will inevitably fail at some point. Isn't that how things work? And when held up against omnipotence, what can we possibly be other than failures.

The nature of God is once again clouded in mystery. We're told to seek and we'll find... okay. Other than getting a warm fuzzy at church services when emotions were running high all around, that supposed feeling of 'oneness with the Creator" has eluded me. I have seen far too many good, decent, kind people fall along the way, and what do we all do? Mourn and pray. Because for all of our hope and faith, we're all still afraid.

And we should not be.

If you are not afraid, then I commend you on your faith and wish you well.

I'm not afraid of the future for myself, I fear what it holds for my child.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

He wants you to feel all his wrath. He isnt going to come out earlier than planned just to save someone.
When jesus was bieng crusified he could have came out and saved him,but then they would have got god to prove to them he existed like they so despirately wanted.

They will recieve his wrath on judgement day,not the day people say we will hurt this person until god comes out and saves him to prove himself real.

Doing something to someone just to see if god is real. Is you trying to say you own god like he's a dog.

If i played any part in jesus not bieng able to make any choices but to be put on the cross, I wouldnt be able to fathom all the fear that should be sent inside my finite human shell.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
If you want to find god, i highly recommend non duality or advaita vendeta. It is not a religion, but it is the ground of all religions, more of a science really. This will point you directly to god.
Lose yourself:
Check out these messengers on you tube;
Mooji www.youtube.com...
Alan Watts www.youtube.com...
Peter Brown www.youtube.com...
Gilbert
Salior Bob Adamson
edit on 8-3-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
dear members,

Jesus Christ is the way to God. If you don't know Jesus you won't know the father. Jesus is the only way to the father. First there is needed a transformation of yourself to know how God is.. Few ever find it. It is nothing you could ever have imagined and it is better than you could imagine. It's not like being given a candy or such. The joy you receive is perfect. One must attain the teaching of the spirit. God is much greater than you have understanding of.
edit on 2011/3/8 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Aren't extremist, monopoly-seeking christians always whining about mundane, political dictators, with whom they have a monopoly-competition.

And aren't the same extremist, monopoly-seeking christians always promoting their own alleged divine dictator.

Mundane dictators occasionally have some kind of excuses, e.g. already existing social injustices they want to right (I do not defend dictatorship in any way, as I believe democracy is far better).

The alleged divine dictator wrote the rules himself, and BOTCHED it (according to the holy manual of fairytales).

And sure, for the umpteenth time, let's get the extensive and elaborate circle-argument once more preaching, that "we have free will"...on the condition, that we don't use it.

So the alleged divine dictator can wash his hands of responsibility, because of this doublebind.

That the alleged divine dictator 'loves' us, .....if we WORSHIP him (otherwise we can go to hell).

That the alleged divine dictator for a non-believer obviously is a multiple-personality schizoid with a constant identity crisis, changing moods and correspondingly changing compulsary contracts with mankind.

That this alleged divine dictator is 'ultimate truth and reality'....without a shred of evidence.

So guys, unroll the protective semantics, bring forth the persecution complex and try to get as close to personal insults you can without transgressing forum rules; as I do, when I say, that I detest ideological fascism.

(PS All live-and-let-live, non-invasive, egalitarian and tolerant christians can sleep peacefully in their beds, they are not targeted here).
edit on 8-3-2011 by bogomil because: grammar

top topics

<<   2 >>

join