It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
So the reason for this thread is just to ask some questions I've had and offer some of my thoughts.

1. Is there God? Is there a God? I've always, just believed that there was, that there has to be.
2. If there isn't God, then for what purpose is life? Why live? Who really cares? What's the point?
3. If there is God, then what of religion? Is one correct over the others?
4. Yes, I've read the bible-pretty much every word at one time or another. I'm not convinced that it's right. It's all over the place and hard to read and comprehend. Would God make a book that hard to read and understand?
5. What of Christianity?

My questions will generally be answered by either athiests or Christians and then the thread will devolve into chaos but...maybe not.

I need to hear some thoughtful answers if possible. Perhaps as I get older and think of my own mortality these questions arise more often. Perhaps I'm depressed or have just lost my mojo for a little while? Maybe it's early onset of midlife crisis?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

God is there for you to discover. Asking these questions, will not get you any closer to the answer, it will most likely just confuse you even more.

God is different for everyone. It is each persons POV that determines what God is for him or her.

But in the end, only YOU can discover God for yourself. I wish you godspeed on this search, and hope you find what you are looking for. Look inside yourself, for that is where the truth lies, that is where enlightenment lies, and indeed, it is where your quest must begin, and end.

VvV

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
If there is a god, then there must be a reason for all of the happenings in the entire Universe, there must also be a reason for our existence. One has to wonder though, what will happen to us once the Sun uses up all of it's fuel, turns into a red giant and engulfs Earth? Will his beloved creation(s) disappear just like that?

Also since a lot of people claim to know so much about God, and say he is omnipotent, than what is the reason behind the creation of the Sun? Can't he sustain life without the help of an incandescent sphere of super heated gases?
edit on 3/6/2011 by muse7 because:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
So the reason for this thread is just to ask some questions I've had and offer some of my thoughts.

1. Is there God? Is there a God? I've always, just believed that there was, that there has to be.
2. If there isn't God, then for what purpose is life? Why live? Who really cares? What's the point?
4. Yes, I've read the bible-pretty much every word at one time or another. I'm not convinced that it's right. It's all over the place and hard to read and comprehend. Would God make a book that hard to read and understand?
5. What of Christianity?

1- yes there is a God your in it
2- the answer is nil
3- religion is for capatelliers who want to be butterflies, God is not religious yes there are people who have had experiences with God, religion seems to borrow them, for there own purposes.
4- the answer is yours
5- Christianity was done and designed by people for there purpose.

6- what do you trust about God, faith is required to answer it to you yourself, want proof than ask God to show you yourself to you. you may be surprised at who you truly are.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by amazing

God is there for you to discover. Asking these questions, will not get you any closer to the answer, it will most likely just confuse you even more.

God is different for everyone. It is each persons POV that determines what God is for him or her.

But in the end, only YOU can discover God for yourself. I wish you godspeed on this search, and hope you find what you are looking for. Look inside yourself, for that is where the truth lies, that is where enlightenment lies, and indeed, it is where your quest must begin, and end.

VvV

On the contrary, asking questions will certainly help you to understand what you like to call god. To not ask questions is for the faithfull. Faithfull is a nice way of saying moronic, and faith should have no part of the god that you discover.

The Bible is entirely allegorical. If you take it litterally, you will find damnation within this earthly life. If you understand the "geist" of what it is trying to teach, it can act as an appendix concerning the way "god" works on Earth.

The electricity in your brain, your thoughts, is an energy that does not simply vanish after your body dies. Science agrees with this. Light is massless energy, the very energy that your "soul" becomes when it is seperated from its mass or "body". When this energy is cultivated (through meditation, qi kung, tai chi, ect..), it aquires a greater mass during life.

When a "critical mass" is reached, your energy, or "soul" can reverse its relative polarity and seperate itself from the energy and mass of the physical universe. That state of energy is what many would call "heaven". Science calls this phenomena "dark energy or dark matter", energy that does not interact with the more conventional energy of our universe.

Both the Buddhists and Hindu's know that this is the case( continuous re-incarnation until enough good "karma" is aquired), but have methods that are less than effective for achieving that end

Do not try to seek refuge in Christ, or Buddha or any other "thing" that attempts to explain how one should live life. You really are your own god.

You know that feeling when you did something that made you so proud,or so joyous, that for a moment you are incapable of hatred of any kind?. Incapable of malignant thought no matter what? That feeling is God.

No need to eat wafers, or light incense, or kill infidels.

What kind of ""god"" would want that anyway???

www.armageddonconspiracy.co.uk
edit on 6-3-2011 by SunTzu22 because: qq

edit on 6-3-2011 by SunTzu22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

On the contrary, asking questions will certainly help you to understand what you like to call god. To not ask questions is for the faithfull. Faithfull is a nice way of saying moronic, and faith should have no part of the god that you discover.
reply to post by SunTzu22

"To not ask questions is for the faithful" And pray tell sir, what is wrong with being faithfull? If i choose to be faithfull that is wrong? I agree, asking questions is good, but if you have faith in your God, is it even necessary?

"Faithfull is a nice way of saying moronic" So you would call all the millions of faithfull people in the world morons? That is judgemental, and frankly insulting. What I choose to have faith in, is of no concern of yours. And what you believe, does not concern me either.

I am not judging you for your believes, so why judge me? Or do you believe you have the moral high ground to pass judgement on whatever you don't like. I do not force my believes on anyone, and neither should you.

My faith, in whatever it is i believe, is mine alone, to discover, to empower and to grow. It is up to the individual to do, and discover this for himself.

VvV

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Faith, by its very nature, is the rejection of evidence contrary to a belief. There can be no true knowledge gained when learning is done in light of "faith".

Faith is what you are supposed to have in your family and close friends, not in some man who lives in the sky.

Knowledge, when practiced in it's purest form, becomes its own type of faith. One based on verifiable fact. Science is the means to religion. No faith required, only diligence and common sense.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Your faith does grow. So too does a tumor grow when given favorable conditions.

It is insulting to know that there are still people who pray to the sky for their problems to be solved magically. That should be beneath animals capable of reason. Apparently this is not the case.

Your better off praying to the tumor....

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Faith, by its very nature, is the rejection of evidence contrary to a belief. There can be no true knowledge gained when learning is done in light of "faith".

Knowledge is a great thing to have. And the quest to gain knowledge is wonderful. I agree. Faith is more than just believing in the unseen. I have faith in many things, not just in the religious aspect, and with faith lacking, how can you be totally objective?

Faith is what you are supposed to have in your family and close friends, not in some man who lives in the sky.

What i have for my family and close friends is love. It seems your idea of faith is twisted, and misunderstood. And who is talking about some man living in the sky?? If you are referring to God, then again, can you proof to me that God does not exist?

Knowledge, when practiced in it's purest form, becomes its own type of faith. One based on verifiable fact. Science is the means to religion. No faith required, only diligence and common sense.

Knowledge, practiced in its purest form is just another form of a faith, or religion. And again i say this, no one religion is better or worse than the other. What you care to believe is your prerogative, if you want to put your faith in knowledge, then so be it. But i believe there is something more than just the material world that we live in, and I, for one, do not require proof of that.

And no, science is not the means to religion. YOU, YOURSELF is the means to religion.

Your trolling attempt is weak, and calling me moronic, and other like me, is not very good, in trying to make your case about faith.

VvV

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

When confronted by abject ignorance in the face of evidence, it is normal to react accordingly.

Can I prove that a magic man does not live in the sky? Yes. I look up and see nothing of the sort.

You attempting to make MY case for what you call "religion" is laughable. However, I digress.

Your "faith" or whatever you call it, really is not my concern. It is my concern when you attempt to dupe one of my fellow species into rejecting the path of knowledge, in favor of your "faith".

How can you discover "god" with a bag over your head???

Put down your bible, it is paper, not a life.
edit on 6-3-2011 by SunTzu22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunTzu22

Your faith does grow. So too does a tumor grow when given favorable conditions.

It is insulting to know that there are still people who pray to the sky for their problems to be solved magically. That should be beneath animals capable of reason. Apparently this is not the case.

Your better off praying to the tumor....

Now see, this is getting ugly. You are deliberatly being insulting now. Just because i do not agree with your stance on this matter.

It is insulting to know that there are still people thinking they have discovered the answer to life itself, and feel the need to enforce their purely materialist view on people.

Linking faith to a tumor, is not a very smart metaphor either. Faith is not a physical object to be seen or touched, it cannot be removed, it cannot be killed.

I tell you again, trolling just for the sake of it, is not appreciated.

VvV

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
God is real, and Christ, his son is also very real.

Christ taught people to love one another..

Christ has appeared to people many times since his ressurection..

God has told me to tell others that he has great love for them... In this crazy world it is not much of a bigger step to have a little faith...

A person that takes the first step and shows a little faith and seeks or looks for God will find him..

Those that close their minds and their hearts to God will never find him.. The void they have instead will be filled with hatred, especially for those that know and trust in God.. But it doesn't have to be that way.. Everyone makes the choice for themselves.. You have personal freedom to believe in anything.. Sometimes you find evidence for God in the strangest of places. But once you find him, you can never unbelieve it.

Don't ever spew hatred even if you don't believe in God.. It will never improve your situation and is a waste of time and life energy.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I would ask that you stay out of the kitchen when the heat becomes uncomfortable.

I can make comparisions as I see fit. I think I was quite accurate in describing faith, and its effects.

P.S. Don't forget that your god lives in a box and kills children, its all in your book.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

It would be a waste of energy to kill the first born of every Egyptian family, not to hate the "god" responsible.

You pray to a god who would have blood as sacrament. Question the motives behind such a belief, I beg of you.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

OK. Did i ever mention the bible once?

You are basing your blatant insults, purely on assumptions. I do not live with my a bag over my head mate, if you knew ANYTHING about me at all, you would know how utterly wrong you are.

Some people like having faith, it does not make them any less functional than the rest. It seem your conseption of faith is based purely in the scientific definition of it.

I have mentioned no religion here, you are the one making retarded accusations. Please do not make assumptions.

VvV

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Retarded?? Them is fightin words from someone who clearly has lost the ability for rational thought.

Am I wrong about the Bible?? If you hold a faith so high in esteem, why not proclaim it? What is your faith?

I bet its retarded

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
to answer your question , yes there is a God .

but im going to go deeper into this subject and relate my beliefs and how i was raised yet as i got older and my life became a living hell my beliefs changed drasticly about God and what not and i tell you why.

i was raised that God in the sense of God is not a single being but that God is the air that we breath , the earth that we live on and the universe around us .

now that concept of God still remains but as for a single being called god that people warship simply put does not exsist nor have has he .

the term God is as a immortal being sorry never happened . yes there were creatures once upon a time that lived on this planet which were of a higher archy but they were not GOD or goddesses . they were creatures sent to protect the planet , of ET source . but they were murdered and eaten alive by this planets diease in the attempt to increase their intellengence . that happend 1000s of years ago before the so called christ appeared .

now i look on god as a sleeping force who really doesnt care about mankind at all . or else why would the world be as screwed up as it is ?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazing

Yes, there most definitively is God; by whichever name humans choose to assign.

Exactly! We are not, as the atheists care to believe, a random grouping of atoms brought about via simple environmental influences or stray particles.

That is the true question, isn't it? Talk about having to listen to your heart to know your way.

No "God" wouldn't but mankind would, even at the risk of blasphemy and eternal damnation. Why? . . . freewill and sin.

5. What of Christianity?

If a Christian honors and venerates God and God's name, maintaining hollowed respect and mention of, then what of Christians?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunTzu22

Retarded?? Them is fightin words from someone who clearly has lost the ability for rational thought.

Am I wrong about the Bible?? If you hold a faith so high in esteem, why not proclaim it? What is your faith?

I bet its retarded

Lost my ability for rational thought? Wow, you see how you are condesending, and regard yourself better, just because you have no faith? I am truelly in awe of your blatant insults. I am also love how all the bible haters, love to quote the old testament, rules and regulations, as if THAT was the only thing the bible taugh.

Look man, my faith is my faith, and if that is being MORONIC in your eyes, so be it.

And why the need to know my faith, or my religion? If i said islam, you would bash it, if i said christian, you would bash it, i am sure even if i said scientologist, you would bash it. Because in your eyes, all faith is moronic and wrong. So what does it matter?

The mere fact that i have faith in something, it seems, is enough for you to hate on me and others that do have faith.

VvV

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Religion is based upon your belief, your faith. To misquote Shakespeare: "only thinking makes it so".

The good guys in the white hats, the bad guys in the black hats. Yin and yang. Good or evil. It all exists inside of you and is under your control, or lack thereof.

It is good to look around and question. This is healthy. Drink some wine, look at the stars and ponder thoughts. Enjoy it while you can.

What I like about religion is that almost every year more artifacts are unearthed which provide proof or support of what took place before us.

What I dislike about religion is mankinds hand upon it, twisting it, taking it to war and using it as a tool to control, building walls instead of tearing them down, and generally doing more harm than good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join