It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats up with the USGS site earthquake information?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I have an interest in Earthquakes.

Every day I check out the USGS site below and many others to view the earthquake activity that is happening around the world.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Over the years I have noticed an increasing amount of discrepancies in this particular site. There have been a lot of significant earthquakes happening across the world but they haven't been shown on this site.

Last night we had a 4.7 earthquake happen in Wellington and the other night we had a 4.5 earthquake in Wellington - New Zealand.

None of these have appeared on the USGS site world map that displays earthquake hits.

You can view these recent NZ earthquakes documented on our local NZ Geo net site here

www.geonet.org.nz...

The USGS site displays a lot of other earthquakes happening in NZ, but they tend to miss out on documenting a lot of them as well. I have seen the USGS miss out on documenting earthquakes happening in many other countries around the world also.

Is the USGS site corrupt and being tampered with to make it look like not so many earthquakes are happening?
Is it a case of this site not being very accurate?
Or is it just a simple matter of this site not being able to document every single earthquake that happens in the world?

This site has graphs which claim to display the total amount of earthquakes happening in the world each year.

Given the discrepancies, their earthquake stats can't be very accurate and they shouldn't display annual graphs that are an understatement of the actual earthquakes happening across the world when there is in fact a lot more occurring.

Has anyone else noticed discrepancies with this particular site?

LS

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I am pretty sure that the site in question only lists world wide quakes above a certain magnitude, ???.....but it lists all the U.S. quakes (it says that somewhere on the site too)

there was a thread about this recently, they said this is being done to manipulate data to show that there are less earthquakes than there really are.

I think they should show them all, but what do I know

"Maps show events recorded in the last 7 days with M2.5+ within the United States and adjacent areas, M4.5+ in the rest of the world."
edit on 3-3-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
If the website ends in ".gov" well...needless to say, the data is pretty selective.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I've just taken a look and can only find 1 quake in NZ that is a Mag 4.0.

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 4.0
Date-Time Tuesday, March 01, 2011 at 09:42:06 UTC
Tuesday, March 01, 2011 at 10:42:06 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 43.711°S, 172.892°E
Depth 10.1 km (6.3 miles)
Region SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND
Distances 25 km (16 miles) SE (135°) from Christchurch, New Zealand
239 km (149 miles) SSE (155°) from Westport, New Zealand
305 km (190 miles) NE (39°) from Dunedin, New Zealand
311 km (193 miles) SSW (209°) from WELLINGTON, New Zealand

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 8.8 km (5.5 miles); depth +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles)
Parameters NST= 22, Nph= 28, Dmin=18.9 km, Rmss=0.81 sec, Gp=191°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=4
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0001miw

earthquake.usgs.gov...

EDIT: I have read on the Quake Watch thread that some quakes take there time to show up on USGS.
edit on 3/3/11 by boo1981 because: add info

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Totally agree !! I do the same and have observed the same. I put it down to just the USGS being typical American and not interested in world events unless it concerned them. But that therory doesnt hold all the time either. Not sure what the answer is but i have wondered just like you. So then if the international global incident site recieves information from USGS that would be wrong also...

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

Somebody email USGS and see what they say... Government departments often speak with fork tounge tho...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Light soul
I have an interest in Earthquakes.

Is the USGS site corrupt and being tampered with to make it look like not so many earthquakes are happening?
Is it a case of this site not being very accurate?
Or is it just a simple matter of this site not being able to document every single earthquake that happens in the world?

This site has graphs which claim to display the total amount of earthquakes happening in the world each year.

Given the discrepancies, their earthquake stats can't be very accurate and they shouldn't display annual graphs that are an understatement of the actual earthquakes happening across the world when there is in fact a lot more occurring.

Has anyone else noticed discrepancies with this particular site?

LS

Yes, Yes and Yes we have.
Its not an earthquake until they say it is one even if one made a brick fall on your head. Remember these are the same cronies that say that giant uplift at Yellowstone is nothing to worry about,

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Light soul

Oh and when you see 3.0 mag earthquakes pop up around a lot of military bases and then suddenly disappear off the USGS site those are not earthquakes either. Thats just them building doomsday bunkers secretly so none of us will ever know where they are lol.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I heard people in Yellowstone are feeling quakes and that USGS isn't reporting them.

I think they are trying to make it all seem "less awful" than it actually is. Leave it to the government.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Perhaps they didn't want to put the 4 pointer New Zealand quakes on, because that would suggest that the big one which led to such loss of life was not an aftershock of the 7. whatever magtitude which occurred last year, but actually an earthquake in its own right, naturally for me, I never believed that this big earthquake was ever an aftershock .

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Exactly!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmar11

I heard people in Yellowstone are feeling quakes and that USGS isn't reporting them.

I think they are trying to make it all seem "less awful" than it actually is. Leave it to the government.

Be carefull using the word "Yellowstone" in an Earthquake thread. The
"Committee of The Yellowstone monopoly" will Alert you to the mods.
Here is my thread about the USGS deleting a known and felt temblor.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-3-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Whether they list a quake below 4.5 outside the USA depends on whether they got any Felt Reports from the area.
I did a Felt Report for one in Cook Strait a while back and then they posted it on the 7day list, I think it was less than 4.5, and they only gave me a MM2 Intensity when Geonet gave me a MM4.
Don't forget they also convert from ML to Mw or mb, so even if it is 4.6ML to Geonet, it might not cross the threshold of 4.5 on USGS.
Generally USGS downplay the magnitude of almost all quakes. Thats why you need to check several sources.
I've even seen quakes listed on USGS for Alaskan quakes that were less magnitude than the original Alaskan Geological Survey source.
edit on 3-3-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
I am pretty sure that the site in question only lists world wide quakes above a certain magnitude, ???.....but it lists all the U.S. quakes (it says that somewhere on the site too)

there was a thread about this recently, they said this is being done to manipulate data to show that there are less earthquakes than there really are.

I think they should show them all, but what do I know

"Maps show events recorded in the last 7 days with M2.5+ within the United States and adjacent areas, M4.5+ in the rest of the world."
edit on 3-3-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

They have listed 3.0 quakes and similar sized quakes in NZ before....

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981
I've just taken a look and can only find 1 quake in NZ that is a Mag 4.0.

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 4.0
Date-Time Tuesday, March 01, 2011 at 09:42:06 UTC
Tuesday, March 01, 2011 at 10:42:06 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 43.711°S, 172.892°E
Depth 10.1 km (6.3 miles)
Region SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND
Distances 25 km (16 miles) SE (135°) from Christchurch, New Zealand
239 km (149 miles) SSE (155°) from Westport, New Zealand
305 km (190 miles) NE (39°) from Dunedin, New Zealand
311 km (193 miles) SSW (209°) from WELLINGTON, New Zealand

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 8.8 km (5.5 miles); depth +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles)
Parameters NST= 22, Nph= 28, Dmin=18.9 km, Rmss=0.81 sec, Gp=191°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=4
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0001miw

earthquake.usgs.gov...

EDIT: I have read on the Quake Watch thread that some quakes take there time to show up on USGS.
edit on 3/3/11 by boo1981 because: add info

Yep, this one above was in the South Island. The two that happened this week and that are missing from the USGS site happened in Wellington which is in the North Island of New Zealand.

new topics

top topics

join