It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher rattles table in class, student calls 911

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

ATHERTON, Calif. – A California school teacher was placed on paid administrative leave after he rattled a table to get the attention of his math students, startling an eighth-grade girl who used her cell phone to call police.

Atherton police Sgt. Tim Lynch tells the Palo Alto Daily News that officers went to Selby Lane School Tuesday afternoon because of reports a teacher was causing a disturbance.

Officers found a calm teacher with class in session.

The sergeant says the teacher's table-rattling startled a student and she used her cell phone to call 911. He says other students in the class weren't bothered by the teacher's actions.

Redwood City School District deputy superintendent John Baker says the teacher was placed on leave because there was a police response.

Hmm noone else was bothered. Wonder what that was about.

news.yahoo.com...

Deebo
edit on 2-3-2011 by Deebo because: Fix

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

no one seemed to get hurt.... Teacher just did something to startle the kids into paying attention. I dont see any foul intentions there.

whoever called was probably the one who was not paying attention and is the one that should of been removed from the class, not the teacher!

whats going on with our educational system here?

edit on 3/2/2011 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Makes me laugh how ridiculous America has become..

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Agreed, both of you.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If it was her own table that the teacher rattled, then whoever the parents of this girl are should be proud. I know I would take her to see a nice movie with XL popcorn along with some friends as a reward. I bet he won't mess with her again. LOL

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

I had a middle school biology teacher..

Who to demonstrate the flight or fight response acted completely calm and then when everyone was relaxed.. Picked up a ruler and slammed it down on his desk.

I'd have prefered a table being rattled.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Proud?

Sure, until she calls CPS because she got busted for staying out too late, or was made to do her chores, or yadda, yadda, yadda.

She should have been busted for calling 911 in frivolous fashion. This is a problem to be addressed, not to be congratulated.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

My algebra teacher just dropped the hard cover book on the floor...

that got everyone to wake up and pay attention.

I think its normal for teachers to do stuff like that to get students to pay attention.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

I wouldn't be.

If I were a parent I would realize my tax dollars go to my daughters education and that education is important to excel at, even if that education system sucks.

If I had more care in High School and listened to my teachers I would have been much better off now.

I'd also be upset with my daughter for wasting yet a more valuable tax drain for a stupid police call and wasting that officer's time.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I would question why she was SO startled she felt the need to call 911? What is her home life like, what sort of neighbourhood does she live in? In short, WHY was she so jumpy?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
This is just another example of people getting easily upset or offended, rather than developing a thicker skin.

I worry about what's going to happen to some of these children when they grow up and enter the real world that isn't full of rainbows and fluffy-bunnies.

I don't really blame the children, as it's the parents and a ''PC'' society that is warping their upbringing by wrapping them up in cotton wool and making them think that there's always someone else they can turn to for help, rather than encouraging them to be self-sufficient and sorting matters out for themselves.

I think that this mollycoddling could have some very negative long-term repercussions for these children.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Sometimes you NEED to do this to wake kids up.. especially if you are teaching a class right after lunch when the drowsies kick in.

The girl who dialed 911 needs to be placed in Saturday detention or compulsory psych eval. This was 100% out of line on her part. At least the teacher is not getting a financial penalty.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Yeah it is.

The ruler slapping against the desk was pretty loud. On second thought it may have been a book. Not sure. But it was loud, and I'll never forget that experience. It's pretty funny really.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I had teaches who would throw things at you. Drop books on the floor. Do all sorts of things. Course, I also knew some students who would throw things back...
Never me though....

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I got no problem with that. They are young. Young people tend to do stupid stuff. It's how life teaches children, through experiences.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Wow, your stupidity does not surprise me.... Damn kids need to pay attention. Shut off their fricking Ipods and phones. I bet your child if you have one will turn out to be a demanding psycho and fail at life because he/she had no direction or discipline. OHHHHSSS NOOOEEESSS!!!! He wobbled a table......

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

My comment was based on the idea that the teacher rattled the girl's desk pretty damn hard. Enough to make her feel scared.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
reply to post by LadySkadi

I got no problem with that. They are young. Young people tend to do stupid stuff. It's how life teaches children, through experiences.

I seriously have no words for this statement... enjoy your time engaged in the system, if and when this happens to you.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

It's not a teacher's damn business to wake anybody up. It is however a teacher's business to teach students.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is why teachers don't really teach anymore, nowadays a bang on the desk towards a sleeping student could cost you your job.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join