It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

But to say that you've got everything in the US so there is no need to travel is kind of re-enforcing the stereotype.

What? If we don't have something, we buy it, import it or build it. Of course we have everything we need here.
What could we possibly HAVE to leave the country for that we can't get here?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

You "brits" as you put it, tried to kill every single person here during our war, so don't be so smug. We're all guilty of something.
We fought to leave that country, why would we even want to go back.

You've been watching the Patriot haven't you? Go on, you can admit it..lol Fact, the film the Patriot, starring the jew hating Mel Gibson, is riddled with inaccuracies. Also, during your war, it was our King who you were fighting not normal Brits who's sons and daughters who had settled out there were fighting for their freedom. I sometimes think you forget where you originally came from!
have to agree with your sentiment about us all being guilty of something, its just that us Brits, no, Europeans, learn by our mistakes while America seems intent on repeating them over and over again. And you never fought to leave the country, unless stepping on board a ship is somehow deemed to be a fight!? Mind you, maybe this explains your countries reluctance to get involved in WW2? Why would you ever want to come back..? It was Germany that made you...

edit on 2-3-2011 by CholmondleyWarner because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
Come to think of it - without the US, there would not be a Europe, but a Greater Germany.

This is BS and one of the reasons Americans are despised in Europe. Your arrogant attitude that we all owe you because of WWII.

Britain had already won against Germany before your troops arrived. The British were fighting for the liberation of Europe, not Britain itself, after the Battle of Britain was over.

Russia had more to do with stopping the war than America did. Germany would never have won in Russia, and Russia would have crushed them in the end.

Germany was already on the losing end before D-Day, they were running very low on fuel for their tanks and planes and could not have continued much longer regardless.

America just wants to take credit for everything. If it wasn't for the European allies, and Russia, YOU would be talking a bastardization of German and Japanese. Remember Germany declared war on you, not the other way around. But your government was itching to join the war, why would they want to join a war? MONEY. They made a killing off lend-lease deals. GM, IBM, Ford made a killing selling to both sides and even sued the US government for damages to their factories for millions (American subsidiaries in Germany).

Where do the profits from war go? Into private hands. Who pays for the war? The public do.

edit on 3/2/2011 by ANOK because: 911wasaninsidejob

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

But to say that you've got everything in the US so there is no need to travel is kind of re-enforcing the stereotype.

What? If we don't have something, we buy it, import it or build it. Of course we have everything we need here.
What could we possibly HAVE to leave the country for that we can't get here?

Well... I have everything I need inside my own home, I can even order food from the grocer on the internet. I'd only have to go to work, and that is on the pier 20 metres from my house.... But I suspect i would be a narrowminded idiot if I didn't have a look and paticipated in what happens outside my home.
So, what I'm saying isn't that you can't get you basic needs covered, but IMO there is more to life than just that.

Travel broadens the mind and puts things in perspective.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Europeans, learn by our mistakes while America seems intent on repeating them over and over again. And you never fought to leave the country, unless stepping on board a ship is somehow deemed to be a fight!? Mind you, maybe this explains your countries reluctance to get involved in WW2? Why would you ever want to come back..? It was Germany that made you...

Patriot? What? Nope, never heard of it. Again, another generalization.
Um, hello? I said we came from there (among other places). We fought to get out from under british rule, what is not correct about that statement?
You say we haven't learned, well correct me if I'm wrong, but Europe has been around quite a bit longer than the US. A few thousand years right? So we should be the same huh, since we've only been colonized for 400 yrs.?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by leaualorin
reply to post by Rockpuck

" Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic! "
Absolutely 100% CORECT!

Nonsense. Americans are friendly and generous in spirit. I visited the States three times last year...Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New Orleans. I've covered a fair bit of the country so I'm no stranger to the place...and I'll be back.

...and you have visited how many times?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

our lack of travel

We are cautious about our carbon footprint?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I have a well worn passport and if you're all not careful I'll use it some more

Muawahahahaha

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

So does reading and learning. I get plenty of exposure to different cultures. Many of my friends and neighbors are from other countries. Why should I spend money I don't have, get sick as a dog, or risk being killed by American haters just to travel? Don't get me wrong, this planet is so freakin beautiful, I'd give anything to see every inch, but in my life, that's not going to happen, unless I get very rich, very soon,lol, yea right.
I'll see plenty when I die.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

No, you said you fought to leave this country not fought to get out from British rule... Two wildy differing statements I hope you will agree? The people fighting to be Americans against the British King came, from amongst other places, from Britain! I believe your George Washingtons family came from Britain! So no more nonsense about fighting to leave this country please.
As for America itself.. I holiday twice a year in the states. I love New York and I'm blown away by the grandeur of Vegas... Not once in all the years I've spoken to Americans in bars have I once came across anyone who claims they saved Europe or are the greatest f*cking thing since sliced bread... In fact, they are almost humble and seem inferior when talking to you face to face...They must all bottle it up until they get on forums like this!?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

So does reading and learning. I get plenty of exposure to different cultures. Many of my friends and neighbors are from other countries. Why should I spend money I don't have, get sick as a dog, or risk being killed by American haters just to travel? Don't get me wrong, this planet is so freakin beautiful, I'd give anything to see every inch, but in my life, that's not going to happen, unless I get very rich, very soon,lol, yea right.
I'll see plenty when I die.

So visit Canada. It's just different enough to know you're somewhere's else, we 'speakee the Ingee', and I guarantee you have nothing like Quebec City or Newfoundland...for starters.
And you can drive here...well, if you're going to 'the Rock', you may want to close your windows.
edit on 2-3-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
didn't read all the replies, but I will say that I do not consider myself ignorant or stupid...and just because I haven't been to university or college, I have been told I am basically well versed in literature, history, and a few other subjects...

As for travel, always wanted to visit many other places in our world...would take the arm chair vacation watching National Geographic and the Travel Channel. This, my friends is called the Poor Mans vacation. Have never had the money necessary to go any further than Roserita Beach, Tecate, and Tiajuana Mexico....and of course made it to Vancouver B.C. once.

It appears that those visiting from other countries, are meeting Americans that they are not taking the time to know and are making snap judgments. Give somebody longer than five minutes of your time...you may be surprised...than again maybe I'm setting my sights too high...lol
but it's worth a try.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

That describes a healthy majority of the planet, and I don't think becoming will traveled changes any of it.

edit on 2-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

That describes a healthy majority of the planet, and I don't think becoming will traveled changes any of it.

What you're saying, essentially, is that you can't polish a turd.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

No, you said you fought to leave this country not fought to get out from British rule... Two wildy differing statements I hope you will agree? The people fighting to be Americans against the British King came, from amongst other places, from Britain! I believe your George Washingtons family came from Britain! So no more nonsense about fighting to leave this country please.

Sorry, mis- typed, I meant we fought to get away from britian rule. Again, I SAID we came from there. We fought against british soldiers here during the war, after we had already colonized and lived under the crown. Enough already.
You really need to stop putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about us saving ya'll in WW2, that was some one else. NOT ME!!! Can you make one post that doesn't contain some generalization?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

"Can you make one post that doesn't contain some generalization? " quote...

Generally speaking-no!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is other than to start a flame war.

We're going to see the usual ww2, my country is better than yours, yada yada yada.

Don't you see it's pointless, each country has it's good and bad points and if you choose not to travel it's your life thats fine, who care's. All it means is that you will not see the world and it's amazing places... when you die will your life be richer or poorer for that?

Some Americans seem to think the world is a scary place (by some of the previous comments), let me tell you most of it isn't. There were 16 to 17,000 murders in America last year... there was 1,200 in the UK.... 1,100 in France and 914 in Germany, yet most don't see America as scary place to travel.

Some Europeans see Americans as stupid, lazy blah blah blah, I've been to America 4 times and I've never seen why this is.

There's no doubt travelling to other countries and seeing other cultures enriches your life and to say otherwise is nonsense, but if you don't thats your choice and fine with me at least. Travelling to another country is an adventure where you try new foods, see new geography, new types of buildings, feel new atmosphere's and it can even make you appreciate what you have at home that you didn't realize before.

Keep on flaming each other if you want to look stupid but remember it's pointless... no country is better than another in the eyes of a citizen.... and to flame a country that you haven't been to is even more stupid.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I want to go everywhere, but can't. There are other reasons besides just money.
I saw some of the Southwest and Northeast when I was young, just beautiful. I can only imagine how pretty Canada and Alaska are.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

...from a country that has a past time of shooting each other ...

Yea , we all just hang around waiting for someone to come along that we can shoot , because that is our favorite way to pass the time ! Boy , talk about an ignorant perception of something that you know nothing about .

Between 1987 and 1990, David McDowall found that guns were used in defense during a crime incident 64,615 times annually.[60] This equates to two times out of 1,000 incidents (0.2%) that occurred in this time frame.[60] For violent crimes (assault, robbery, and rape), guns were used 0.83% of the time in self-defense.[60] Of the times that guns were used in self-defense, 71% of the crimes were committed by strangers, with the rest of the incidents evenly divided between offenders that were acquaintances or persons well-known to the victim.[60] Of all incidents where a gun was used for self-defense, victims shot at the offender 28% of the time.[60] In 20% of the self-defense incidents, the guns were used by police officers.

(Wikipedia)

Yea , we're all just a bunch of gun-totin' cowboys over here .

So tell me , how many times have you had the pleasure of stocking your freezer with meat that you acquired by hunting with a firearm ?

I've did it hundreds of times , and guess what ? I've never shot anyone in my entire life .

But it's nice to know that if someone breaks into my home and puts my family at risk , I have the power to stop them in their tracks . Chances are , they will leave without me having to fire a shot .

But if they're stupid enough to advance with a gun pointed at them , all bets are off .

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by loam

What you're saying, essentially, is that you can't polish a turd.

I suppose so.

Stupid, lazy, ignorant, xenophobic, self absorbed, and narcissistic people can be easily found nearly everywhere on the planet. When I hear of such comparisons between Americans and Europeans, in particular, I just roll my eyes.

All you have to do is reverse the terms: Smart, Hard Working, Knowledgeable, Welcoming, Curious and Selfless... All of that is also easily found in both places.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join