It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Group Launches Scholarship For White Males Only

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
By the title, one could assume this to be racist. However, I encourage everyone to visit all the links to get the complete view of what the Former Majority Association for Equality (FMAE) is trying to achieve. IMO, they are doing the same thing LULAC and the NAACP are doing. The FMAE state that they will not accept money from racist organizations such as the KKK.

Colby Bohannan said that when he first applied to college, his family didn't have a huge stockpile of money set aside to pay for school. He found many scholarships for women and minorities, but none aimed at people like him: white men. "I felt excluded," said Bohannan, a Texas State University student. "If everyone else can find scholarships, why are we left out?"

www.statesman.com...

CNN interview with President of FMAE.

CNN Video

If you wish to fill out the application below, you have to meet the following requirement.

Male- No less than 25% Caucasian

Currently enrolled in College/university or a High School Senior. If enrolled in Higher education must have 3.0 GPA.

Provide full and accurate information on application.

Application for Scholarship

FMAE Mission

We have a very simple mission: to fill in the gap in the scholarships offered to prospective students. There are scholarships offered for almost any demographic imaginable. In a country that proclaims equality for all, we provide monetary aid to those that have found the scholarship application process difficult because they do not fit into certain categories or any ethnic group.

FMAE website

Did a search but it didn't come up. Hope I put it in the right forum.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I see no issue anyway..
We have many Scholarships and grants etc here in Australia that are only available to Aborigines..
I see no difference..

+48 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Part of me thinks it's about time.

The other part of me really wishes any kind of race based benefit would go away.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron

The other part of me really wishes any kind of race based benefit would go away.

I share the same feelings.

While I'm very glad someone is making a point by offering a white only scholarship, to show all those "minority only" once just how ridiculous they are. It still doesn't get us any closer to having race be a non-issue when it comes to these types of thing.

I'm surprised nobody has came in here bashing this yet, though!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I see all people as equal... of course i notice skin color... ethic/racial features... but i never base what i notice on my opinion of people...

Equality isnt something that should be race based... no... I think it should be individualized...

Everyone should be treated equal... until they go and do something stupid... catch my drift?

I'm white as hell and will prolly never benefit from that scholarship... but i think its a great thing... just as all scholarships are!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Someone is bound to make a stink about it soon. Hopefully they end up helping people though.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I'd be a little afraid to pick it up.

I wouldn't want to be having the question presented that I'm a racist to prospective schools.

Not saying it's racist, that I'm racist or anything like it.

I'm just saying the right type of admissions peronel could make that case.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
I'd be a little afraid to pick it up.

I wouldn't want to be having the question presented that I'm a racist to prospective schools.

Not saying it's racist, that I'm racist or anything like it.

I'm just saying the right type of admissions peronel could make that case.

Very good point that I never thought of! Although, depending on what school you are attending, that may or may not be advantageous.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
No problem with it here, although I had to chuckle when I saw an interview with a rep for it.

It turns out you only need to be 1/4 white...when i was a kid that meant you weren't..hell, if you had 1% of anything other than white, you weren't.

But more power to them, anything that educates folks is fine by me.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
So actually if Michelle and Barack Obama had a son, he would qualify for this scholarship. Yet I am doubtful that someone with that hypothetical background would get first dibs at this scholarship money because the people who are promoting are likely racists.

If you really think about it, there are already plenty of scholarships for smart white men whether poor or rich to help educate themselves. These scholarships will likely be aimed at helping giving an edge to more low achieving white males, which is bad for the economy and is a waste of resources.

This guy (white guy) in college told me that he didn't get into the school of his choice because the school's affirmative action policies decided to admit an asian girl instead of him. Allegedly, the recruiter told him that the difference between him being accepted and getting denied was this one girl. He was really bitter, angry, and hostile and said it was unfair, but I told him he needed to be honest with himself. Out of the 200+ white males that did get accpeted, he wasn't one of them so can he really blame one asian girl? If he really had been good enough, he would have been #1 and wouldn't have had to worry about anyone taking his spot. That asian girl could have just as easily been another white male who happened to be the son of the President, Dean, a top professor or one of their friend's children.

There was someone who didn't get accepted to Yale the year "W" was admitted, but I rarely ever see people complaining about that.

Either way I don't care what private people decide to do with their money. If a bunch of people want to get together and try to help low achieving white males get an extra helping hand it's their right to do so. However, this type of mindset is what ruined our country and economy in the first place.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Thanks Jam, I see no problem with this either...

I have been discriminated against on several occasions because I am a white (basically I would have faired
better if I had been born a different color or was illegal)

anyhow, why not?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
Someone is bound to make a stink about it soon. Hopefully they end up helping people though.

Unfortunately I believe you are quite right in your analogy. What are the chances that a scholarship, which requires you be at least 25% Caucasian, will not be viciously attacked for racism? Of course minorities can create such scholarships at any time and there be no racial issues about it same with ‘black only fraternity’, there is no accused racism in such organizations but believe me they will be the first to scream racism if the white’s had the same.

Personally, I do not care if there are blacks only or Mexican only or White only, I do not see the crime in it, but what I do find truly reprehensible is hypocrisy. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I knew this was coming, but I wonder just how we got into this mess of favoring a certain ethnic group over onother.

We should do away with this Ethnic favoritism all together, all it leads to is more seperation in the end.

Growing up as a kid in LA, I never knew there was so much racial seperation and hatred, I grew up with a very mixed bunch, Jewish, Mexican, Chinese, German, Hawaian, Spanish and a couple of others,

I never thought that I should have special priveliges that my friends didn't.

I was shocked when I went with one of my friends (mexican) to visit one of his friends (also mexican, I assume), when we arrived, I heard his friend say, " why the F*** did you bring that white boy with you".

The guy making the comment was of latin origin, he had no Idea that I was not born in this country, I was born in France, but of course he labeled me because of the color of my skin, I wonder, did he think that because I was white that somehow he was inferior to me, is that why we have so many scholorship programs for people from other than white ethnic groups.

That was my first taste of real racism, and it hasn't stopped to this day.

I didn't want to stray off topic, but I thought my story was relevant, and is the the root cause of all these special Scholorship programs in the first place.

Good thread OP, thanks

Peace

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
but what I do find truly reprehensible is hypocrisy. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I think this highlights my feelings too

You put words to it

Gracias

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by jam321

I see no issue anyway..
We have many Scholarships and grants etc here in Australia that are only available to Aborigines..
I see no difference..

Well it is true that White Males lag far behind minorities in America in terms of education, wealth, and employment.

If you look at the actual numbers, more White males are in prison than in college, are less likely to graduate high school, and in terms of unemployment, the numbers rank double digits by comparison to their non-White counterparts. A lack of equal footing in terms of economic status usually holds them back from the better aspects of higher education. Mostly due to generational poverty, as opposed to say minorities, who usually outnumber them in the more popular college settings.

There is a dire need for a Whites-Only scholarship when you look at all the facts.
Whites just tend to be underrepresented all across the board.

Wait...no, that's not the case at all.
In fact, it's the exact opposite of what I said.

Sorry, I left the real world for a minute.

- Lee

edit on 1-3-2011 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I think it great that there is a white only scholarship fund but how is being required to be only 25% white, white.

White is great though, just as long as they don't allow any people with physical deformities in. I'm talking cripples, hair lips or people with skin diseased or anything like that. Let people like them make their own scholarship fund.

Yeehaww Texas, Hookem Horns!!!
edit on 1-3-2011 by whaaa because: sarcasm don't cha know

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by jam321

I see no issue anyway..
I see no difference..

Well it is true that White Males lag far behind minorities in America in terms of education, wealth, and employment.

If you look at the actual numbers, more White males are in prison than in college, are less likely to graduate high school, and in terms of unemployment, the numbers rank double digits by comparison to their non-White counterparts. A lack of equal footing in terms of economic status usually holds them back from the better aspects of higher education. Mostly due to generational poverty, as opposed to say minorities, who usually outnumber them in the more popular college settings.

There is a dire need for a Whites-Only scholarship when you look at all the facts.
Whites just tend to be underrepresented all across the board.

Wait...no, that's not the case at all.
In fact, it's the exact opposite of what I said.

Sorry, I left the real world for a minute.

- Lee

well look Lee... I understand your attempt here, but I also think it over looks other things which you might consider. Namely that sometimes these things do in fact create a system that is biased in itself because it attempts to correct societal bias. I say a person who qualifies for assistance should be considered because of
character, need or circumstance, this system often times utilizes race to combat racism, the process of which
is the core function of racism.

As I said earlier I have been discriminated against because I checked that caucasian box, I know because the people who won out over me showed me their test scores, I should have been considered based on my performance, I was not. This very thing has hit me three time in the last year, it sort of sucks, I get hungry
just like the next guy, I bleed the same color and I should judged by more than my appearance, isn't that the point of being against racism in the first place? I hope you at least attempt to look at this in a different light,
once I did it changed my perspective for the better, I am more well rounded and still as left as ever.

edit on 1-3-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FutureThinker
I knew this was coming, but I wonder just how we got into this mess of favoring a certain ethnic group over onother.

The only group that has continually given themselves undeserved favor in the history of the American continents is white males. This favor was typically attained by force and discrimination. To try to balance things scholarships were introduced for minorities who were treated UNFAIRLY and held back.

Someone once gave a good analogy. Imagine you sat down for a game of poker and you learned that halfway through the game everyone was cheating except for you. The other players have 125 chips and you only have 25 and they say now we are going to play fair. Do you really think you have a fair chance at winning the game and getting caught up?

Women and minorities do not get together in big business or big government to prevent white males from getting a fair chance at education, resources, or employment. If that was the case, I would have sympathy for them and likely contribute to this fund. Since that is not the case, I really don't see how this is relevant.

Plus won't all the other white males think you are a loser anyway? You mean with all the white advantage your ancestors were given they couldn't manage to rise to the top? Everyone else had a 400 year delay and your parents still couldn't achieve so you need more handouts?

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
White heterosexual males shouldn't have any scholarships, after all we are the most evil beings on Earth.

All we deserve is endless ridicule and disdain from the rest of the world, the people who are better than us. Being the monsters that we are and having only caused misery and strife throughout history, never contributing anything positive or creating anything worthwhile.

No, we should pay full price for everything, including education. I mean to say, we are all so advantaged and well off from our white masculinity that surely an oppressed woman or indigenous fella would be far more deserving of money to get an education.

We just cant get anything right, and as it should be. Apparently we deserve what we are getting, because of all the things we did wrong.

Yes sir, white men should just sit back and assume our new natural position on the bottom of the heap, we should all be so lucky as to be allowed to spend the rest of our lives groveling like dogs and making atonement for all those nasty things our great great grandparents did many hundred years ago.

And just because we never personally owned a slave or beat a minority or oppressed any women doesnt mean we aren't...err...responsible.

edit on 3/1/11 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron

Wow thanks for summing the whole thing up very well. Couldn't have said it better

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join