It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Joys of voluntary work.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
As some of you guys know a Said goodbye to ATS a few weeks ago now to Embark on a New volunteer expedition 600 Miles away from not so sunny england, to even more Not so sunny scotland.
Unfortunately for you guys i have today managed to find a Free internet Pub and i am back to pester you once more

Basically what im doing at the moment is working on behalf of the social services of britian to peer mentor some Dis-Advantaged kids with bad backgrounds and i tell you now theres not a More rewarding Job to be found, The kids are great and i cant help but feel thet by talking to them about their problems i have come to understand more about myself, So if anyone here is single, At a loss for something to do, feeling life is getting repetative or just looking for something worthwhile to do, get signed up

I allways thought Voluntary work was a dead end, No-pay scenario till i got involved in it, and now to be honest ive never been happier I get £75 a Week for Food etc, Free gym membership (which i darn well need) and pretty much all expenses paid for, for any activity the kids wanna get involved in and im working with some great people.

I would reccomend voluntary work to anyone, Plus you get the added joy of knowing your helping the world To heal.

So yeah Just checking in with you guys From Scotland, Hope your all well

~Ted
edit on 28/2/11 by TedHodgson because: spelling and grammar

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I can't do it.
I'm glad some get joy from volunteer work, and i would work to help a neighbor or friend.
But the idea of arranged volunteer work just screams to me, "Someone dropped the ball and / or is just not carrying their weight, and someone is still making bank on this project.
They associate volunteer work with a warm fuzzy feeling but i just don't like it.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

See ive never been Botherd by money Or that anyone else "isnt pulling their weight", Im just happy that i can help out and feel usefull in a world of Un-Rewarding jobs

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Nice to hear things are going well for you. I agree that voluntary work has a place in British society and assisting people less fortunate than yourself is a very rewarding experience.

That being said, I do not go along with the governments vision of a BIG society. This incorporates people working voluntarily to deliver public services such as libraries, swimming pools and advice centres. These amenities should be delivered by experienced and skilled workers who receive a fair slalary.

I have undertaken voluntary work in the past and I admire all that do so, but for people to lose their jobs and then be replaced by volunteers, I say a BIG no.

I hope you continue to enjoy what you are doing.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Nice one Ted, Im currently volunteering at at homeless centre for young vulnerable people and start training as a basic english and math teacher for the probation service. I have been out of work for a while so I wanted to get back into something a little more rewarding.
I would be interested in doing something similar to yourself. Im not bothered about the money just as long as i have enough for food.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Yeah I agree with your sentiments on the BIG SOCIETY, it's a nonsense. The places where I volunteer rely on council and government support and once this is removed these charities will not be able to survive and the general public are not going to step in and plug the gap as volunteers, most people have enough to do to make ends meet.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I wondered where you'd got to, haven't seen you around very much recently!

Sounds like you're doing a brilliant job

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Just a small indication of what the Big Society really means?

Westminster Council wants to pass a byelaw to stop rough sleeping and soup runs on Westminster Cathedral piazza and the surrounding area.

Westminster Council announced yesterday it has launched a consultation on the proposals with residents, businesses, local day centres and hostels and the voluntary sector.

If it gets a positive response from this, it will ask the Communities and Local Government department to pass a byelaw. It wants this in place by October.

Westminster Council estimates up to 100 people at a time congregate around the piazza while food is being given out and said people travel into the area to receive food hand-outs.

The council has said vulnerable adults will be asked to leave the area before being subjected to any enforcement.

www.insidehousing.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Brilliant find friend.

You should bring this to the attention of the press, just to see if they would be wiling to run with it mainstream. I appreciate it is already out there to a certain extent, but what size circulation does that particular news journal have?

It would be interesting to phone Jeremy Vine with this tomorrow lunchtime, just to see if they would run with it.

Peace.

top topics

join