It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spell Check

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Can we do something about these atrocious thread titles that seem to be popping up more and more each day?

I think a spell check would be a good addition to this forum.

We're going to get the usual people claiming that they're dyslexic or English isn't their first language. There's just no excuse for such typos on a site like this.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Does it REALLY matter if they spell a few words wrong.?
IMO content is more important than grammar..

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

You put a question mark after a period, so you obviously don't understand.

...gross people.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

You put a question mark after a period, so you obviously don't understand.

But only for cosmetic purposes..Otherwise the ? seems to close..

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
haha

if you have firefox it checks everything you type, you should try it if you dont have it already, you also get adblock an noscript, but dont block ads from ats because they need the support

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Did you ever think that a lot of people on here are NOT native english speakers, and thus may not have quite the mastery of the language of some?

Why spend your time worrying about spelling, when the content is what matters?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Contractions is bad form too old boy.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I always write in a word processor before posting on the boards.

It does all the formatting for you. But the reality is that there are plenty of members who are not native English speakers and as pointed out mistakes shall be made. Even by the people who are very fluent in it, myself included.

Content over grammar.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

I have to say that I literally laugh out loud at the spelling on here, I really want to say something to those who make critical mispellings, but who am I to do so, I don't know their reasons for not being able to use the right words or spell them correctly, so I refrain. But I laugh. It's funny to see the use of 'too' when it should be 'to' or 'two', for example. The meaning changes and makes the thread title comical, and I laugh. So maybe we shouldn't have spell check, because I do enjoy a good laugh.
, and they say that is good for you.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Why not? Intelligent discussions require actual intelligence.

Grammatical errors distract from the discussion.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I just explained that it's not an effective excuse when there are American citizens on here that make tons of typos everyday.

Is our educational system really that bad?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Swanseadog

Are you just being sarcastic or what?

You just have to love the high rate of trolling on ATS.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

I like your style of communicating keep it up! language and the wayyyyyyyyyyyy we write also communicates in a modern way. I love all styles of writing and those with their above tendencies are welcome to keep to their standard and I will keep to mine. Some prefer a high dose of ego instead of ink, thats ok! its a free world. Sugar originally had an h in it and then somewhere along the road it fell off. Others preferred to write in lemon juice its all fun, how about leaving some room for experimentation?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

spell check comes up with some whacked spellings.

the data base is sorely lacking, i've had to reconstruct my whole rap sometimes.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet
[more
I think I will have a good laugh with you two, never forget it takes to too 2 tango. He who laughs the most never laughs the last, its as easy as cake to find peace in the pie. All you need too do is let the I open up and what was too shall become won.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Great moderation I like you style! gracias buen amigo.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

You know, actually it does. None of us are perfect, and I don't think anyone is striving for perfection with the occasional typo, but what I'm personally seeing goes above and beyond occasional typos. I agree with the OP. Content doesn't make a darn bit of difference if the post is discredited by it's lack of proper grammar and gross levels of misspelled words. It's disgraceful, considering most of those posts are being generated by high school kids and 20 somethings. If people can't take their posts seriously enough to make the effort to portray some type of basic education and mastery of the English language, then why should everyone else take their posts seriously? (And no, I'm not slamming those whose native tongue is not English.)

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I make no apologies - take pride in your language! Folks need to stop being lazy and stop bastardizing the English language. I don't think "writing is not my thing" is a valid excuse. And if that's the case, then get off the computer and go study a dictionary for a little while. Apparently the computer usage is making everyone stupid with apathy! When high school students can't discern the difference in usages between their, there, and they're, or too, two, and to, or God forbid, even misspelling words in their own handles or thread titles for Pete's sake, then something is seriously wrong!

No, I don't think I'm being too harsh at all. Mistakes happen - that's human. But gross misuse is just laziness.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Its not a spellcheck some people need.

Its a realitycheck! 8-))

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

So what would you and "The Sword" suggest ?

Should a grammar test be taken before you are permitted to join ATS ?

I have seen many posts with multiple spelling mistakes and grammatical errors that I have found to be quite insightful..
I have also seen perfectly formed posts that were simply a waste of bandwidth..

So you tell us what you recommend rather than just criticizing others less educated than yourself..

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

A simple spell-checker on the posting page would be more than adequate. Of course, I have no problem with spell-check at all, because in Firefox, I've already got it so that it underlines in red whenever I type something wrong.

What I would prefer much more than a spell-check would be for some way to deal with those large chunks of text. I mean, taking the example of the flooding that a certain member named joejones did recently. Even if what he had done didn't constitute spamming, his post was almost impossible to read. Just a solid block of text with barely any grammar going on and on and on and on and not stopping and going on and getting me tired and annoyed and I was reading it and I kept reading it and it wouldn't finish and I amazed myself by actually coming to the end but then it wasnt the end but then finally it was.

See, that is just tireseome.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join