It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army of Fake Social Media Friends to Promote Propaganda

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Army of Fake Social Media Friends to Promote Propaganda

www.pcworld.com

It's recently been revealed that the U.S. government contracted HBGary Federal for the development of software which could create multiple fake social media profiles to manipulate and sway public opinion on controversial issues by promoting propaganda. It could also be used as surveillance to find public opinions with points of view the powers-that-be didn't like. It could then potentially have their "fake" people run smear campaigns against those "real" people. As disturbing as this is, it's not really new for U.S. intelligence or private intelligence firms to do the dirty work behind
(visit the link for the full news article)
Related Above Top Secret Thread

Is The Internet Being Used (right now) to Start World War III?

Related News Links:
blogs.computerworld.com
edit on 27-2-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
With the recent events of Middle East protests, the HB Gary Sacndal, Wikileaks and more I found this article a must read.

Events unfolding quickly in front of us require our full attention as there is a huge media blitz occuring pushing propaganda front and center.

Last year, Public Intelligence published the U.S. Air Force social media guide which gave 10 tips for social media such as, "The enemy is engaged in this battlespace and you must engage there as well." Number three was "DON'T LIE. Credibility is critical, without it, no one cares what you have to say...it's also punishable by the UCMJ to give a false statement." The Air Force used the chart below to show how social media influences public opinion.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2f45b53ceb51.jpg[/atsimg]

Can you spot a propaganda piece in the media?

Could you recognize a fake media friend?

Can you discern a "software" persona here on ATS?

Read up as its going to get thick before its over.

www.pcworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Hmmmmm........ So how do we know that you are real?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
No offense but is this an update or the same thing? There are several, several, several threads made on this very same topic within the last two weeks.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by murfdog

Good question there.

Oh, well you could call me, do you think that would do the trick?
Maybe I could friend you on facebook?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I posted a story in relation to this about a week and a half ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But it sort of died a quick death and slipped off the page into obscurity. lol.

I have ZERO doubt that these programs are RIFE all over the net, and it likely constitutes a whole HOST of not just military, but I would surmise the alphabet soup orgs as well.

Many have called out folks right here on this very site who appeared to have VERY vested interests, and seemingly "different" user names, which appeared to have not only those very similar agendas,but strikingly similar writing styles as well.

Coincidence?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The sad fallout from this type of application is that most Web 2.0 (i.e., "social media") Web sites will close down their comments sections under the weight of phony sock-puppets skewing opinions. I expect this is already going on now, but with less finesse and ease, and all it takes is one mistake to link accounts (human error might lead multiple sock-puppet accounts to be linked by IP address or email).

I don't think it's just the government using this type of software, but certain billionaires who have a penchant for interfering in our democratic processes (think "Koch brothers"). They can field an army of sock-puppets and sway the public into thinking their opinions are the majority opinions.

HBGary should be investigated for this, and the government, military, or political financiers should be barred from using it. The cat's out of the bag. Kudos to Anon for bringing this to light.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Ah that you did my friend, I actually posted in that thread.

My short term memory...lol, yet this article is quite comprehensive, indepth.
Thanks for your input Dimensional Detective!

Imagine, fake persona's pitted against another fake persona.
Not only does this give new meaning to the idea of a troll,
how about those 323 facebook friends huh?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Opps my bad didn't read the article in full!!! For those that Starred me.... this WAS found out through the E-mails that Anon got a hold of!

Everything revealed after Anonymous leaked emails from private security firm HBGary Federal is disturbing on many levels.

If this is going to be the future of the net we'll have to find some way to either pick them out and identify them .... or go back to some old school ways of communicating ...ie IRC.
edit on 27-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: added/changed/sp

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

I would like to read them, have not actually found a safe source.
Nagging little thought here too, one spy outing another. Hummm.....

However I did find this

Emails also show the HBGary Federal executives corresponding with federal employees from a range of agencies including Los Alamos National Labs, the Army, and the National Security Agency. There's also talk of work with the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security.

www.salon.com.../politics/war_room/2011/02/16/hbgary_federal

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Can you spot a propaganda piece in the media?

It's sort of like the lawyer quip...

"You know their lying because their lips are moving...."

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

searchh bgary torrent

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This is probably the single most important issue that confronts the world today, and something that everyone alive needs to learn about and be aware of.

HB Gary's software effectively ends democracy as we know it, by creating an artificial majority through virtual people.

It is as dishonest as the day is long, and people all over the world need to move to have it outlawed and the most severe penalties imaginable for it's use.

I hope this is something in the days ahead everyone finds the opportunity to learn about.

Great thread, star and flag.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Just kidding with you burntheships a phone call will not be necessary.

Very good in depth article on this subject and one that should be watched to see how it develops over time.
S&F for you

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
This is probably the single most important issue that confronts the world today, and something that everyone alive needs to learn about and be aware of.

HB Gary's software effectively ends democracy as we know it, by creating an artificial majority through virtual people.

It is as dishonest as the day is long, and people all over the world need to move to have it outlawed and the most severe penalties imaginable for it's use.

I hope this is something in the days ahead everyone finds the opportunity to learn about.

Great thread, star and flag.

You have a good thread on this too

Speaking of ending democracy.... what happens when they push "online" voting with a national system. It is a small step from the electronic ballots that have already been proved to be rigged.

Welcome to the "Ministry of Truth" burning and changing all the info...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by murfdog

No worries, I had a hunch you were funning me anyhow.

But in all honesty, your question is a good one...in fact its crucial to the times at hand.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
As much as this is a concern ... and is it a concern!! I think there will be software made available by trust worthy people who may be able to dissect and pick out little eccentricities of these false automated persona's!

Just looking on the brighter side people
Yin-Yang

But I do believe it will be a struggle and I absolutely believe that software that provides a false persona AS WELL AS picks them out are totally and realistically achievable.

This is a WAR on US and our MINDS.
edit on 27-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Yes, Proto thank you and I will now shamlessly promote your Concpiracy thread here.

Its great, a must read for all of ATS!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Yes, Proto thank you and I will now shamlessly promote your Concpiracy thread here.

Its great, a must read for all of ATS!

WWIII Has already begun. I don't have to read the thread. I have no doubt in my mind that this is the case but it involves much more than the internet.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Thats an awesome thought, perhaps some great minds here on ATS could
get started.
Thanks for the counter thoughts, thats awesome!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join