It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More riots in Europe!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I lurk on this forum for some time now but this is my first post / thread so i have to post in introduction section.

I just wanted to inform you about new happenings in Croatia.
Quick info about Croatia:
population: around 4,500,000 people
capital city : Zagreb
president: Ivo Josipović
prime Minister : Jadranka Kosor

Croatian econommic situation is pretty bad just like in many countries these days and it seems like people finally got enough of it. It's a small country with labor force of about 1.750 million but today we have more than 350,000 people unemployed! Many people work months without being paid while young people move out of country to find some job. At same time our politicians stole billions from us. Our ex prime minister is currently in prison in Austrian because he was involved in money laundry and many other illegal stuff. We had war 20 years ago (fall of Yugoslavia) and we fought for our country but after the war politicians sold and stole everything they could.Moral in country is very low and some real protests started few days ago.

First protest started on last Tuesday (22.02.2011.) when few hundred of people headed to St. Marks square in Zagreb. It's important place because there are governmental buildings: Government of Croatia, Croatian Parliament and Constitutional Court of Croatia. Police placed barricades on the streets leading to square. So after few hours protesters went home.

Second protest happened this Thursday (24.02.2011). Few thousand of people came to the same barricades on the street and attacked police with stones. After few minutes police responded with teargas. After teargas came counterattack from police. About ten people asked for medical help but many more were injured.

Except capital city Zagreb some people protested in other cities like Rijeka, Osijek and Split.

Today (26.02.2011.) between 15 and 20 thousand of people showed to support Croatian war veterans that protest against prosecution of innocent Croatian veterans. During protests about 2-3 thousand of people split up from main protest and went towards St. Marks square again. It lead to new heavy clashes. Mainly young protesters fought with police while Croatian war veterans tried to calm down situation. But people had enough of our corrupted government so they didn't listen and they continued fight with police. More than 20 police officers and 50 protesters were injured.

At the same time few hundred of people gathered at Split, Šibenik and Rijeka. Also there were smaller riots in Osijek (few thousand of people attacked few government buildings with glass bottles).

Part of newspapers is influenced by politicians so they try to show protesters like hooligans that just want to fight with police. For them we are bunch of cattle and peasants. Protests didn't end today, they didn't even start yet! Only smaller part of the people wake up but this images help us to wake up others so we can expect new riots very soon. Big protests are announced for tomorrow in Split (second largest city in Croatia). I just hope there wont be many injured people and that we can send thiefs (politicians) to prison.

Please do share this!
edit on 26-2-2011 by dario86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

edit on 26-2-2011 by morgrimal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dario86

Send the Story to Al-Jazeera ,which is pretty much the only Major News-Source you can trust nowadays. Tough they cover mostly the Middle East,especially Lybia now for obvious Reasons,i think it would help if they show something now and then.

One last thing: Dont give up,walk like an Egyptian

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
@morgrimal:
Like i said part of media is influenced by politicians so they try to show protesters like hooligans. It's funny because same media supports protests in Egypt and Libya.

1) I agree its a shame that someone spat on war veteran but even other war veterans tried to pull him away because he crossed the line and even "backed up" current prime minister.
Which only made people more angry.

2) There will be more protests, next one is tomorrow in Split! I dont know who wrote that but we just can't talk about isolated incident when it happened three times in last four days (last one was the biggest).

Also, at this moment no one likes opposition party because people started to realise they are just like ruling party. Before war in Yugoslavia started, young people protested against politicians and they were ready to go in war. Soon they did and today they are our heroes and war veterans. But today when young people protest they call them hooligans. Sad, very sad.

@Shenon: Thank you!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

One last thing: Dont give up,walk like an Egyptian

lulz on that!!! ymmd

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
One more video from Zagreb:

Short video from Osijek:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dario86

Thanks Dario!!
This is the best part about this site. You won't hear this on your evening news anytime soon. I wonder if there is any way to measure the amount of riots/protests going on around the world now as compared to other years. It just seems like one day soon we will all be in awe at the global upheaval if most are not already.
Welcome, I just joined as well. Check out my introduction. Keep us/me posted on new developments.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Thanks for the news, Dario!

Definitely keep us posted. The world is loosing it's collective mind, and tossing off the lies we've been told, and made to believe.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Best wishes with your struggle, we are with your people in spirit.Please keep everyone updated friend .

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I think the elite played us for fools with the bankers ripping us off for billions while the puppet politicians turned around and tried to blame the poorest in society no matter what country you hail from. It was a short sharp shock that awoke 9 out of ten ordinary people and made them realise whats going on... I'm from the UK and I can see this country igniting this summer resulting in riots and mass demonstrations in most of the major cities in this country.
You are not on your own my friend. We are entering the end game... Its time to put up or shut up and unfortunately for the elite most are deciding to put up, that is they are not willing to "put up" with the elite anymore.
Come the revolution I wonder which lampost on Downing Street David Cameron will be hanging from!?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Teach em all how to do the Mussolini dance says me.....
Good luck my friend. the whole situation is not what it seems.
Be careful out there.....
s

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dario86

Well at least you Horvats are taking to the streets. I have a feeling that there will be riots in Latvia if the new government keeps on breaking every promise they made - people keep losing their jobs. In last week a school and a bakery was shot down in my town. That's about 70 - 80 people more losing their jobs in a week in a town of 10.000 inhabitants. Not good.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dario86

I don't know ...
but isn't it STUPID to fight with those morons that ACTUALLY DEFEND THE BIG CRIMINALS?

I PROPOSE TO HUNT DOWN THE LEADERS IN ORDER TO BE KILLED!

Fighting those that protect the BIG CRIMINALS/"LEADERS" is not a solution at all!

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
There is a deafening silence about this on BBC/ITV/SKY TV in Britain - no mention of it here in Spain either. Everyone is too preoccupied with Libya etc.
No coverage of the demonstrations in Athens, Greece, either. But the spotlight will soon turn back to Europe.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Part of newspapers is influenced by politicians so they try to show protesters like hooligans that just want to fight with police.

Hi Dario (Bok!
)
As a matter of fact I think that people fighting with the police were hooligans, and nothing more. This has nothing to do with situation in the country. I strongly believe that people in Croatia are not (yet) ready for violent protests. I wander who is paying this bunch of idiots and why.

Originally posted by stirling

Good luck my friend. the whole situation is not what it seems.
Be careful out there.....
s

Stirling! Exactly my thoughts
A new thread started - seems interesting: (looking forward to the further comments)
Riots are manufactured:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 27-2-2011 by Douriff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I hope protests will become global soon because we have to show politicians and people behind them that we had enough.

@Douriff
Hi (Bok
)
Sorry but i cant agree with you. Here is why:

1) In our country young people always were those who started protests and showed to politicians what whole nation felt. When war started young people were first to join and fight. So in past they weren't hooligans but today they are? Why?

2) Also when young people protest and fight with police in other countries our media writes mostly positive things about them. They talk about how people are unhappy and how they want changes. But when it happens here in Croatia, our media attacks protesters.Why?

So this two points bring me to conclusion that about 50% of our media is influenced by someone? You guess by who.
Also protesters aren't left / right winged. They stand together like brothers. This isn't about getting another ruling party, its to show them that they can't steal from us anymore. More and more support is shown for those young people on internet portals and forums.
After all, young people fight for their future. It would be sad if they would stay pasive. Unless you think they have future when we have 350,000 unemployed of total 1.750 mil. labor force (20% !).

Protests in Split today:

edit on 27-2-2011 by dario86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
All power should be in the hands of, and exectued by the people. If the people feel they are being treated in an unjust way, they have all the right to rise up against oppression, corruption, injustice...

but

concidering the past and the tendencies to certain "extreme-flanked" views in the area I am a bit worried as of who is organizing these demonstrations.

There seems to be a lot of young men walking those streets... I mean, mostly young men. Not too many women or elderly.

I think we should be careful not to root for just anyone in conflict with the government before the "agenda" behind it all is totally out in the open.

In one of the pictures, someone is holding a banner with the text "Uzor".
Is this a political party or union/other organization?

Would be great to get some more meat on the bones rather than just observing people throwing stones for some unclear reason.

Thank you all in advance,

Raud

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by dario86

I am new to ats as well!
Good luck dear one I have spent some time in Croatia,love the country...here is another video..

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
@Dario, maybe we are neighbors, seeing each other in the grocery. To meet here on ATS – is fun.

For what you are saying that people should not staying passive, I agree, but on the methods I agree more with Raud
Like he says:

There seems to be a lot of young men walking those streets... I mean, mostly young men. Not too many women or elderly.

I think we should be careful not to root for just anyone in conflict with the government before the "agenda" behind it all is totally out in the open.

I am more worried about the lack of firm plans, goals and requests, than about the crises itself. Everything is too vague at the moment.

edit on 27-2-2011 by Douriff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by exroyalnavy
There is a deafening silence about this on BBC/ITV/SKY TV in Britain - no mention of it here in Spain either. Everyone is too preoccupied with Libya etc.
No coverage of the demonstrations in Athens, Greece, either. But the spotlight will soon turn back to Europe.

OF COURSE YOUR BRITISH MEDIA IS SILENT!
Damm it , in england there's a VERY BIG NEST OF REPTILIANS !!!
They don't whant people to see what is going on just across the "swamp" ...
Goes to show HOW MANIPULATED IS THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION!!!
AMAZINGLY MANIPULATED!!!
And there was a thread around here that said :
"ENGLAND , BLIND AS A BAT?"
Couldn't be more accurate...
but maybe people will wake up out of this STUPID slumber...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join