It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agent Orange 'used to clear Canadian roads until 1980s

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Agent Orange 'used to clear Canadian roads until 1980s

www.bbc.co.uk

Canadian officials have acknowledged the country used Agent Orange to clear roadside brush as late as the 1980s.

Provincial Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne promised an inquiry A national investigation has been started after the chemical known Agent Orange was used to controll tress ,shrubs and grassland adjacent to Canada highways for 30 years....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

A national investigation has been started after the chemical known Agent Orange was used to controll tress ,shrubs and grassland adjacent to Canada highways for 30 years....

Agent Orange has long been identified with cancer and other genetica bnormalities by the Government of Vietnam after the war with the USA.Government records filed at the Archives of Ontario showed the province began experimenting with a powerful herbicide called 2,4,5-T — the dioxin-laced component of Agent Orange — as early as 1957 in Hearst, Ont. Less than 10 years later, the ministry authorized the use of a more potent mix of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T for use in aerial spraying. The combination of those two herbicides in equal parts comprised Agent Orange — the most widely used toxin in the Vietnam War.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

A Canadian hotnine has been set up for anybody exposed to such spraying www.thestar.com...

"Spraying reports obtained by the Star revealed that high school students and junior rangers acted as human markers for the ministry and timber companies in Northern Ontario. They would hold red, helium-filled balloons on fishing lines while low-flying airplanes sprayed thousands of gallons of the chemical cocktail." The star

www.cbc.ca...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

www.chicagotribune.com...
edit on 25-2-2011 by gambon because: added couple of related links

edit on 25-2-2011 by gambon because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2011 by gambon because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2011 by gallopinghordes because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2011 by gallopinghordes because: first one to add ex tags

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

This is the wiki information for Agent Orange, seems pretty comprehensive and contains some graphic evidence for its damaging effects.
en.wikipedia.org...

Quoted from the wiki:

A 50:50 mixture of 2,4,5-T and 2,4-D, it was manufactured for the U.S. Department of Defense primarily by Monsanto Corporation and Dow Chemical.
Quote ends.

Oh I see, like that is it?
Agent Orange has a pretty shady history considering that it is not supposed to be a chemical weapon, but a defoliant. Regardless of its classification, the long term effects of the use of this chemical mixture are certainly devastating, and result, in severe cases of exposure , in horrific disfigurement, and pre-natal defects. In lesser cases, cancer and death are fairly common side effects of exposure.
What I cannot understand, is why a government would use this stuff to clear brush or foliage from the side of a road, when there are plenty of people who need work to do .
I really advise a look at the wiki page on it. It contains some good documentary information, including details of Agent Orange's chemical composition and historical data of its use, as well as some video of its use and photographic evidence of its effects.

edit on 25-2-2011 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2011 by gallopinghordes because: to add ex tags

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
MAP FROM CHICAGO TRIBUNE

Map View spraying missions in Vietnam by date and location

U.S. troops, Vietnamese nationals exposed to dangerous chemicals

By Jason Grotto, Chris Groskopf, Ryan Mark, Joe Germuska and Brian Boyer | Tribune staff
Dec. 4, 2009

The map below can be used to see defoliant spraying missions by U.S. and South Vietnamese forces over Vietnam, as well as Laos and Cambodia. The missions began in summer 1961 and ended more than a decade later, in spring 1971.

Clicking and dragging on the timeline at the bottom of the map lets you view the spraying missions as they took place over months and years. You also can zoom in on a particular town or area by entering its name in the search box. Once you have found the spraying missions you are looking for, you can click on the lines on the map to get more details about the missions, such as the number of legs, or runs, the number of gallons and the type of defoliant.

Read the Tribune series on Agent Orange and its toxic legacy.

www.chicagotribune.com...

edit on 25-2-2011 by gambon because: To make source clear...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by gambon

"Spraying reports obtained by the Star revealed that high school students and junior rangers acted as human markers for the ministry and timber companies in Northern Ontario. They would hold red, helium-filled balloons on fishing lines while low-flying airplanes sprayed thousands of gallons of the chemical cocktail."

Just ****** amazing...
That's no ignorance, that systematically wiping out people or a specific race.
edit on 25-2-2011 by Regenstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Has anyone ever actually looked at concentrate "Roundup" or Monsanto's patented weed killer?

Guess what color it is?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
And this was applied how?.... oh, aerial spraying.... which "just isn't possible" according to some around here..

Does anyone really think they have stopped using this substance and or method of delivery?

I am beginning to suspect that we 'discover' these 'unreported' transgressions whenever they are good and ready to tilt their collective heads 20 degrees off axis and say "Gee, we're sorry."

Wait till 20 years from now when we discover what they are doing today!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Anybody that STILL thinks chemtrails aren't real should explain that to these young people that got sprayed with Agent Orange....

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Has anyone ever actually looked at concentrate "Roundup" or Monsanto's patented weed killer?

Guess what color it is?

What colour? You should probably know that Agent Orange is clear and named after the containers they were delivered in, not the colour of the liquid itself.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hmm, maybe that's why EVERYONE on BOTH side's of my family dies of cancer.

Not my great grandfather or my great grandmother, nope; anybody from 50's+, yep.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Part of past we as resonsible people must ask and stand up for those who suffered at the money grabbing coffer's who have big pensions at the expense of others, Responsible government does not take the easy way out
Canada Governing government is in treason of human war crimes. The surgeon general of Canada, should be given more resourses and power to deal with this medical issue!!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I live in ontario, my dads mom died of lung cancer, my dad had skin cancer, my mom just beat breast cancer, and RIGHT NOW my moms mom has a few days left... shes dieing of lymphatic cancer..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
Hmm, maybe that's why EVERYONE on BOTH side's of my family dies of cancer.

Not my great grandfather or my great grandmother, nope; anybody from 50's+, yep.

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
I live in ontario, my dads mom died of lung cancer, my dad had skin cancer, my mom just beat breast cancer, and RIGHT NOW my moms mom has a few days left... shes dieing of lymphatic cancer..

This might sound racist, but are you and your family white?
(Ethnic) Cleansing is not just a North American problem.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I'm sorry, could you be more specific?:

.... oh, aerial spraying.... which "just isn't possible" according to some around here..

I have seen no (valid) claims on ATS that aerial spraying "just isn't possible". I'm afraid I have to call on you to cite this. Else, it is a sort of "dangling participle" type of post that is rhetorically charged.

edit on 25 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Maxmars

I'm sorry, could you be more specific?:

.... oh, aerial spraying.... which "just isn't possible" according to some around here..

I have seen no (valid) claims on ATS that aerial spraying "just isn't possible". I'm afraid I have to call on you to cite this. Else, it is a sort of "dangling participle" type of post that is rhetorically charged.

edit on 25 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

I will amplify... but first... I will admit to the hyperbole ... I was hoping to spur a moment of pause in those who appear gleefully eager to refute the entire 'aerial spraying phenomenon' topic as 'foolish'.

I have always come away unsatisfied about the tremendously popular position that:

- it is simply ludicrous to state that any government or agency would engage in such a reckless application of chemical technology, considering the dangers.

- the use of aerial dispersion for the application of chemicals to the environment cannot be 'kept secret'; no self-respecting pilot or crew would do such a thing.

- the principle of this practice is scientifically unsound

- there is nothing sinister or suspicious about unreported or unaccounted for aerial spraying activity over populated and unpopulated areas.

- people who observe persistent "lines in the sky" are simply paranoid, those who note their opinion that the frequency and density of the phenomenon has increased dramatically in their recollection are engaged in a sort of mass hysteria based upon flawed reasoning.

I fully expected the 'crew' to surface stating the benevolence or 'non-malevolence' of this reported use of a known carcinogen and defoliant is an anomaly and not representative of the phenomenon as noted by many people who seriously can't reconcile what they see in the sky being so radically different from what they observed earlier in their recollection.

The rub, for me, is that there are many ways in which I agree that this may be a case of information 'gone wild' because I think...

If there was a true "conspiracy" to harm people, they would simply do this at night. Also, I know they cannot have used this defoliant by spraying it at 20,000 feet... that much is clear, it simply wouldn't work... unless the chemical components used are radically different from what it seems it would have to be to work and remain as a persistent trail of vapor.

But I have found that I still honor the "Chemtrail" conspiracists because the nature of the inquiry cannot simply be explained away in a vacuum. Weather modification, or other explanations may fit many scenarios - but it does not explain them all. And the fact that the doers of the deed are so well removed from scrutiny leads me to believe that liability issues may be at play here. Such things as cloud seeding need not be 'hidden' from the public, unless there is a danger they would rather not admit to.... sort of as with Agent Orange genreally (among many other 'safe' chemicals that were 'sold' to the government for application to various 'needs.')

I wasn't exactly tossing down a gauntlet, but I did want the discussion to "go there" - a bit selfish perhaps, but not meant to be overtly mean-spirited.

I am glad you caught it though.... others may have responded by attacking my dignity... and that would have not gone well... I have such a fragile ego....

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
^^^ A dangerous cocktail of apples and oranges there.
The areal spraying of herbicides present an entirely different set of physical circumstances than what is proposed by 'chemtrails'. I haven't come across any argumentation on this site in opposition of the idea of areal spraying in the manner implied by the OP. I really don't think it's sound to drag the idea of 'chemtrails' into this thread.
edit on 25-2-2011 by laterallateral because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thank you.

Absent most of the hysteria on this topic, and removing the red herrings of the high-altitude cirrus clouds that result from normal passage of jet airplanes (a phenomenon and consequence of our technological existence and reliance) we're left with examples of these sorts of spray operations that were (most probably) undertaken without knowledge of deleterious side effects.

I compare this, on a simplistic note, to the pesticide DDT. When first developed, was found to be effective....only much later was it determined to be so potent and harmful to Humans. "Agent Orange", similarly. Was developed as an herbicide/defoliant. Much later (and the OP mentions its use, in Canada, up until about 1980...either some were still not convinced, or word on it was late in coming) it was linked to genetic and other nasties....and, of course, the real "conspiracies" that crop up there are the resistance by the manufacturer, for purely financial and liability reasons, to such descriptions of their product.

The first inklings of "AO"s dangers and effects were just trickling in at the end of the 1970s....first lawsuit was filed in 1978. (BTW...RE: a comment up-thread about color, and a name-brand weedkiller product called "RoundUp"....the "orange" in the name is derived from the orange stripes of color on the barrel containers, is what I've learned. This differentiated it from other products, such as "Agent Blue").

The product, in its basic form, had been around since the late 1940s, from what I've read. There are many, many similar substances, in other uses, that (during that era of less oversight, and a less litigious attitude than today) were also found belatedly to be terribly harmful (in the pharmaceutical industry, Thalidomide, for example).

It is a sad fact that "playing" with chemistry, even if done with the most benign intent, is something that can have unintended and unexpected results.

As to the spraying, in the OP's story.....a simple look, again, at a repeated quote that mentioned volunteers holding red helium balloons (as visual markers for the pilots) would indicate that, of course, the altitude of application was very low....as can be seen in any reference look-up on such types of directed aerial spraying.

THIS is the main reason that the high-altitude misconceptions that are conflated with these activities get such misguided (and undeserved) attention. Simple lack of comprehension, and perspective. (And incomplete research.....).

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Monsanto Corporation knew of the dangers in the early 1970s and had started there cover-up that continues today.

Agent orange was mixed into products sold under a number of trade names Weedtrine-II, Aqua-Kleen, Savage, Weedone , Weedar, Barrage, Plantgard, Tordon, Lawn-Keep, Planotox, Salvo,and Malerbane.

Many of the companies that sold these trade name products never knew they were selling agent orange because the companies like Monsanto was selling excess agent orange in bulk as a chemicals called 2,4-D, and 2,4,5-T

Some companies used 2,4-D with dioxin only a few times in there mix some used it all the time.
Some companies made 2,4-D with out dioxin with a older process and there products are clean,
All 2,4,5-T has dioxin in it and no longer made and has been banned.

If you have agent orange being used along highways it was likely also used on power company right a ways and along railroads.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm really tired, but this is a great topic that gets overlooked a lot.
I would like to know where else Agent Orange was used? Possibly all over the place and we don't even know about it yet??

I want to link my thread about Agent Blue which never really got any attention. Agent Blue is quite often overlooked but guess what??

There is Agent Blue at YOUR HOUSE 90% chance! (I made up that statistic but it's probably decently accurate).

Anyways, there are other Agents also, and there is a lot of information about them out there for people willing to do some reading.

For further comments about Blue please check my thread. It has good sources.

BTW Agent Blue = Weed Killer from the store....

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this up, I'm down in New Zealand and one of the local Helicopter pilots explained last year that on a contract, he was directed to spray agent orange over sections of west coast forest to 'clear' it

I have no proof of these claims so what can u do? I just hope its not factual

truely disturbing OP

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join