It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Secret Deal Between Gov. Walker And Koch Brothers Buried In State Budget?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Article

Now, the [conspiracy] theory in play suggests that the entire bruhaha over collective bargaining rights is simply a distraction to get the following deal; The governor will, eventually,back off his efforts to kill the state employees union. In response, the state congress will pass the budget as currently written- including the section that allows the state utilities to be sold to whomever the Governor wants and at whatever price Walker chooses to sell for.

The result (according to the conspiracy theory) – Koch Industries gets to buy or operate the Wisconsin state utilities for pennies on the dollar, creating one of the greatest state monopolies we’ve ever seen.

Any truth to this? Who knows?

At best, it is highly irregular that a state legislature would grant the executive the power to sell off or lease public utilities without a bidding process. At worse – well, I would hate to think that such a bargain could be struck all for the benefit of one particular company.

Note that there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that such a conspiracy in under way. This is just a theory being circulated – and, at this point, nothing more. But it is, at the least, a theory that we will eventually be able to substantiate or finally dismiss depending on what happens to the state’s public utilities.

Looks like the Walker-Koch ties are being discussed widely around the Wisconsin budget issue. As a libertarian, I'm a little soft on the Koch brothers compared to my anti-capitalist friends. The CATO Intstitute is one of my favorite think tanks but I must say the Koch brothers continually push the boundaries of a just and fair free market. If there is merit to these allegations, I would say they have breached the libertarian free market principles of which they heavily advocate. As the evidence builds I grow more disappointed.

motherjones.com...
host.madison.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Its the gov't. It is all corrupt as hell.

I am waiting for the taxes on air consumption. I believe that the energy policy in the US is somewhat the reason that we are in the red on the books.

Greedy fat cats.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I know the WI protests are one of the biggest current events in the US and its an even bigger issue to CATO but take note how hard they're pushing the issue on their homepage.
They give center-stage to a number of articles on the issue with titles like:
Unions Are Angry -- but Wisconsin Should Go Even Further
Vallejo Con Dios: Why Public Sector Unionism Is a Bad Deal for Taxpayers and Representative Government

It doesn't surprise me where Koch's propaganda outlets stand on the issue but it sure doesn't help defend against the ties to Walker either. Oh politics.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moonsouljah but I must say the Koch brothers continually push the boundaries of a just and fair free market.

So, this is how apologists for people raping our economy think? How the hell is actually BUYING political parties and candidates for personal monetary gain "pushing the boundaries" as opposed to downright immoral, if not illegal?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

In America, we value justice and the judicial process. If they are found guilty in a court of law that's another story. As it stands, the issue is only speculation.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Ths was posted on Urban Survival yesterday.

"Say, I assume you have figured out that republicorp gov. Scott Walker not only created the showdown with the unions in WisconSIN, but now we're learning of a backdoor bill in the legislature which (in its 144 pages, would allow the state - without review - to sell or farm out operations of state utilities to big corporations like the one owned by the Koch brothers."

My friend Howard sent this:

Here's the language from the bill. Note that it exempts the sales or operating contracts from any consideration whether the sales will be in the public interest or even economically justified.

"16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling, and power plants. (1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14) (am) and 16.705 (1), the department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification of a project under s. 196.49 (3) (b)."

If this is true, this is the REAL smoking gun. This is the real issue here. IF this is true and not being brought up anywhwere....
Everyones been duped.

I hope this gets confirmed and exposed

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Everyone keeps spiking accusations.

Where is the proof of this being tailor made for the Koch Brothers?

All there is is speculation and conjecture.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

You're absolutely right.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
there's some more info in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

the legislation(s) are written by an organization helped by the Koch Bros.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

....Koch or Pepsi, once again We the People are opaquely divested of what we own, sold to corporations (for a favorable price) to do as they will. Of course, since there is no "right" to heat/cool/light homes, or consume water, of course sell to corporations, whose bottom line is profit.

Can't afford your new heating bill? Wrapping oneself in the Constitution or American flag for heat won't help.

Because of corporate manipulation by Kenny Boy at Enron, I was victim of corporate gouging first hand in 2001 in Calif.

Privatization Exposed

Since Americans have been called consumers for years now (hell, after we were attacked on 9-11 we were told to go shopping!), maybe it's time we become CITIZENS again, and act like it! Take back our country! Enough!

On the other hand, if corporations succeed in privatizing everything, there will be little need or use for all the politicians who answer to them. Yay! Govt drowned in a bath tub! On the other hand, need help with a pothole or clean water or turning on your utility or an oil slick wash up on your favorite beach? Call an Indian call center.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Wisconsin's power is already in the hands of corporations.
Has been for as long as I can remember.

WEC (Wisconsin Energy Corp.) is traded on the NYSE under the symbol WEC.

Been that way since long before Gov. Walker was even born.
Wisconsin_Energy_Corporation

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Here is a great article comparing what Republicans did in Iraq to what the Governor is trying to do in WI:
www.nytimes.com...

Nothing but a power grab. This is really sad. They throw up the smokescreen of a budget crisis and create a scapegoat out of unions all while they hide the real money maker in the bill. People believe it too. Thank God for the free press.

top topics

join