It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there were a button that would instantly eradicate humanity, would you push it ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The thread title is pretty self-explanatory.

Hypothetically, if there was a button that you could press that would expunge humanity from the face of the Earth, would you actually push that button ?

On ATS, you often see people with a very dim view of humankind referring to us, amongst other things, as a ''virus'' and a ''scourge''. There are some people who express a general opinion that our planet, and all other living animals and plants on it, would be better off without us, and that we are an overly destructive influence on our environment.

The question is not ''do you think the planet would be better off without us ?''. The question is whether you would - given the opportunity - actually physically push a button that would instantly make us cease to exist.

This is pretty much a closed-ended question, but there may be some who would answer along the lines of maybe/don't know/depends on what kind of day I was having etc.

While it may be easily answered yes/no, it is obviously important that you elucidate the reasons that your decision is based upon.

I'll start by saying that my answer would be ''no'' for three reasons:

Firstly, I'm an ''optimistic realist'', in the fact that I can realistically acknowledge the flaws and imperfections in human nature and accept that these are inherent because of our survival instincts. At the same time, I'm optimistic that human society can be improved and - while we will never achieve a utopia - we can achieve a much more civilised and well-rounded version of humanity than we have seen throughout history.

Secondly, it wouldn't be long before another dominant species eventually took our place, and seeing as our shortcomings are/were actually advantageous to our survival, it is not unreasonable to expect that any future dominant species would have achieved their position with the aid of many similarly negative traits.

Thirdly ( not in terms of importance, but because it was the third thing that I thought of
), if I did have the inclination to push the button, I wouldn't be able to morally or philosophically justify my decision, considering that I would be arrogantly forcing my own personal belief on to the unwitting human populace. Even if I felt it was for the ''greater good'', who would I be to make this decision ?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
People like Hitler,Stalin,Mao, would love to get hold of this button of it does Exist I'm sure they won't bat an eye when they click it

"No man no problem" from Stalin
edit on 20-2-2011 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
No, I would not push it.

As a child, I dreamed of growing up to pitch for the Yankees, but not of being the biggest mass butcher in history. Think I'll pass. It's that pesky "billions of corpses groaning, shuffling, and reaching their clawlike hands out to you in your dreams every night for the rest of your life" thing. I'm insomniac enough as it is.

We are doing quite well digging our own grave as a species anyway, without any sort of magic button.
"He thought that in the history of the world it might even be that there was more punishment than crime but he took small comfort from it." -Cormac McCarthy

edit on 2/20/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
would it be possible to leverage the use of the button for a desired goal?

cessation of hostilities worldwide
distribution of resources in a beneficial way
personal acquisition of treasure

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I rather see a zombie outbreak make a button for that "press"

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
What it comes down to is two types of people in the raw form.

Animalistic - lust, greed, hunger for power and dominance like vampires crave blood. Homo sapien.

Spiritually progressed - beginning to see that there's more to life then what we can see, smell, hear, touch and petty rivalries of different 'clans' (races, cities, countries, religions, etc.). Homo luminous.

Myself? No. Why would I when we're all just living life, either animalistically or as spiritual beings.

In fact, no such button would exist unless you mean a button to detonate every nuclear bomb on this earth. Mother Earth wouldn't be to happy by that, nor would any of her children, animals and humans alike.

I'd more in fact be curious to the overall answer of this question then anything else. Just to see how far along we've come. Jesus was the recorded first (there's been many many more.), 1 out of millions of animals that realized something greater then us.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

edit on 20-2-2011 by 9Cib27 because: edit

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I am sorry, I cannot answer this question truthfully because I feel that this is a topic that TPTb can put into my file. I feel that maybe this is a trap.

So my answer is no, I wouldn't push the button.

paranoia, maybe, maybe not.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
What fun would that be? Where's the Zombie Apocalypse button?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Well, I don't believe in killing, so it is an unequivocal "no".

The only ones who may conceivable answer in the positive are those who cannot bear the thought of humanity continuing without them, so rather than die alone, they are happy to take everyone else with them.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Can I use a stick to push the button?
Need a scapegoat for a move that big.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
All creatures have the right to evolve. We happen to be the highest form of intelligence on the planet and we will decide the fate of the planet. Remove us and something else will have to make that choice.
Don't push the button.

Enjoy the ride

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

No I would not. But had you asked would I push a button that eradicated all the worldly governemnts then my answer would be yes.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

''Eradicating humanity'' would include the button-pusher as well.

reply to post by MMPI2

Sorry, but the button does ''exactly was it says on the tin''. If it could be selectively employed, then we would be entering a different debate as to whether the end ever justifies the means...

reply to post by OneLife

The button is purely hypothetical. We would instantly cease to exist and be swallowed up by nature. It wouldn't involve nuclear bombs.

reply to post by liejunkie01

LOL.

There's no trap. It is purely a thread to discuss the psychological and philosphical implications of the decision.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
100%, absolutely would not consider it an option. In fact, I'd work towards finding a way to eliminate the button.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Human's don't have infinite time left on the planet

It is funny you would want to remove them before they are removed naturally

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I wouldn't push it because I wanted to destroy humanity, but I might well push it just because a button left unpushed is and abortion in my mind, I'm a serial button pusher, especially if they are big red buttons

I was on a school tour round the HMS Belfast when I was young and I pushed a button on the wall that started some huge noisy grinding sound off in the distance, I ran like hell.
I still wonder what that button did to this very day

edit on 20-2-2011 by davespanners because: spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I'd probably press it. Shallow, shameful, I know. But hey, I hate you all. Thank you, and have a nice day. *pushes button*
edit on 20-2-2011 by AMANNAMEDQUEST because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

interesting reply from you, makes me question myself. I would nto want to push that button but I cannot get past anything that says "do not" I do. makes me question me know

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
"How can he possibly resist the maddening urge to eradicate humanity at the mere push of a single button? "

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/92fbf57fadfd.png[/atsimg]

"The beautiful, shiny button? The jolly, candy-like button?

"Will he hold out, folks?"

"Can he hold out? "

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bbd4bde5a1ab.jpg[/atsimg]

Nope.

(Personally I think a lot of people would consider it if they had the option of selecting some people to survive to start over.)

edit on 20-2-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join