It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scammed Again... another reason I hate electronic transactions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
General Conspiracies? seems like this company maybe in on the ripoffs after reading some of the google searches...hum

Google Search

Yep, they got me again…seems like every few years they find my card number, no matter how careful I am with it.

One reason I hate electronic transactions is because: call bank, get new card issued, go to bank and fill out necessary paperwork to credit account, file for bank investigation, and then report to police…and I don’t get paid for doing all that either.

The last time Officexxx was compromised, this time I don’t know… maybe related to a hotel I stayed at one weekend...I'm going back to cash, and writing checks…hum, wander if they can compromise a check? I don’t know if that will work either, money orders? Hum…Does anyone have other ideas? It’s difficult to find a local office to accept a payment anymore… and I’m not driving to the next largest city to pay my bills in cash, has anyone noticed that it’s difficult to find a local office to accept a payment anymore?

Anyway, here's the scam this time, if you see this on your bank statement (ROGERSWL 1TIME) it maybe a fraudulent charge...it’s supposedly from Rogers Wireless, which is a legitimate company in Canada. I don’t do business with them so I know the charges are false, and my bank is working on correcting the issue.

edit on 2/19/2011 by Shdak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I thought you had 28 days to dispute any charges made to your card, and if in that time something unusual appears on the statement you call the bank and they put the money back, seems a little strange to me

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

Was it a Motel 6?
Does your card have an RFID chip?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

No Chip, but I bet the new one will have, Motel was an extended stay, In Town Suites...funny thing is I used cash, but they insisted I had to have a credit card as per policy...in order to stay there, I wasn't in the mood to make a fuss about it...and If I find out they are the leak, well we have ways to handle things quietly... sorry can't get into that.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by orinoco4

It can take up to 60 days, but the ones that I've had; normaly less then 4 days to get resolved.

Oh, I found this charge within 24hours (online banking), and bank did call the answering machine within a 20 minute period; They didn't talk to anyone and still posted the payment, which in my book is shame on them.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

Had two incidences with credit card fraud...one out of Canada, maybe with stolen list of cc #s or random, caught by cc company....the other when we were in a hurry at a gas station and swiped card through a phony card reader placed on the pump by crime group doing this in area, who then used our # to buy but was refused by store and called in to cc company. We were issued new cards.

Checks can be lost/stolen/whitewashed. Money orders are no longer as safe as they used to be.

Advise to have two different credit cards, in case one is "down" due to fraud replacement, Pay balance every month. Also, I don't use debit card as a credit card; less transactions open to fraud.

Life is increasingly more complex, both positives and negatives.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

I have to agree, but I think the account will only be used for monthly bills from this point forward; I will be using cash for everything else.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Get one of those pay as you go credit cards. Say you put $100 bucks on the card, you cannot go past the $100 credit limit. The cards can be bought at alot of convenience stores.
I would rather be out of $100 bucks than them having my normal credit card and max it out.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SKinLaB

I forgot about those things, good thinking...I will use one of them thing the next time I here CC/Policy...better then getting scammed for 400+ bucks

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

This really doesn't have anything to do with electronic transactions, though. It is the result of using a card to pay.

This has been around as long as cards have been around.

People were taking card numbers even when they didn't use electronic processing and had duplicate or carbon-paper records that were manually processed (how many remember carbon paper?). Thieves would dig in retailers' trash for discarded carbons/copies and use the numbers with impunity until the limits were reached.

Credit has its costs; and not just interest. Credit risk factors add to higher transaction costs and higher prices generally. Do you have any idea how much cheaper things would be if we only used money or goats or barter for trade?

jw

new topics

top topics

join