It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad advertisement on ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I just had an ad here on ATS automatically redirect me to a different page (note that I did NOT click on any add) telling me that AVG had found a virus that "would do something bad" with poor grammar and puncuation that was obviously a fake message, especially considering I have never used AVG on this particular computer. I didn't take the time to write down anything exact about it since I was more worried about making sure there wasn't a real attack that came through it, but I'll see if I can dig up anything in my browser history.

Edit: This is what it redirected me to:

BAD LINK DO NOT CLICK

96649375b.7bentsave6.com...
edit on 19-2-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-2-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
According to Norton there are viruses distributed through this page, so well done for getting out of there quickly:

safeweb.norton.com...

A quick Whois query points this back to a Marc Wiliams of new orleans:

whois.domaintools.com...

I would expect ATS to vet their advertisers. I am also suprised that you say you did not click on the advert - I don't see how you could have followed the link without clicking on it. Very odd.

These "you have a virus" web pages are very common. Always best to get the duck out of there quick when you see them. NEVER download any "Cure" they offer you, it is always malware of some sort.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
While I don't have access to the information necessary to verify this...

These fake AV ads are trojans and they usually sit on a system, waiting to be triggered. The point being that just because it attacked while you were on ATS doesn't mean you were infected here.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

While I don't have access to the information necessary to verify this...

These fake AV ads are trojans and they usually sit on a system, waiting to be triggered. The point being that just because it attacked while you were on ATS doesn't mean you were infected here.

~Heff

True in many cases, but not all. Some of these AV web pages are just web pages which you are redirected to when you click on somehting else. Nothing is downloaded to your system until you agree to let the page do a "Free virus scan" of your computer, at which point malware is installed on your computer.

Of course I am not saying ATS has any such problems, I susspect your explanation to the OP is accurate. As he said, he did not click on a link so your theory would explain that. Just warning others about what can happen.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I realize that is usually the case, but I'm certain my system was clean before the incident. The only tabs I had open at the time were 3 ATS tabs, so it didn't come through from another site I was on at the time either.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I have had this happen several times and not just on ATS - it has nothing to do with ATS.

Its lurking and pops up in hopes when you see it and do the wrong thing it can scan your computer. Best thing to do is nothing but shut down. Don't click anything when these pop up, not even the X to exit.

Learned my lesson well after it put a virus in my computer right thru my protection and firewall. I haven't had one pop up for some time now - my alarm bells go off when I do.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

Norton is infamous for returning false positives, designed simply to try and make you buy another product.

I recomend AVG - much better and free.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I recommend Linux. No viruses, no trojans, no blue screens ever. And, best of all, It's FREE!

new topics

top topics

join