It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we as smart as we think we are?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Found this, laughed hard. Thought we might take a moment to reflect this on ourselves. We think we are smarter and more open minded, more aware then the average person. Is that true? Only our actions and the future will tell. Have a read. (LOL)

What is Stupidity?
Stupidity is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes, when you post your uneducated reply. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
What truth?
That you are just as stupid. Like everyone else you were born into stupidity. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch because you think your smarter then the rest and that is the prison for your mind.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by shoulda taken the blue pi

valid point i guess

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

Huh I don't get it

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I found it!!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c8f1414ec24.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

How funny! Great find!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Love the store, now my wisest purchases will still be stupid

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I don't mean to sound condescending, however the person who wrote that paragraph can't have been that well educated, as they've made several basic spelling mistakes. I agree on the concept of the fact that we're all born into stupidity, but I do believe that we can make a difference to the world; stupid or not.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by controllingvaluesaside

I don't mean to sound condescending, however the person who wrote that paragraph can't have been that well educated, as they've made several basic spelling mistakes. I agree on the concept of the fact that we're all born into stupidity, but I do believe that we can make a difference to the world; stupid or not.

Stupid is as stupid does - I agree we are trapped in a backwards society where we all dulled down a bit, whether it's from polution, water additives or what is another thread, but people have been given the power to learn and those that choose to ignore that power and not learn are stupid - example wiki: Stupid may refer to: Stupidity, a lack of intelligence; So if you choose to learn from your mistakes and educate yourself you can be free from a lack of intelligence.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by controllingvaluesaside

If you judge "stupid" by mis-spellings, mine are legion. Dyslectics of the wordl ieunt! (Making fun of my self, no one else by the way, that's another one of my problems, dyslexia.) In case anyone cares my IQ is 168. I have been known to engage in my own version of "stupid human tricks" as well... So I do try very hard to deal with it and came up w/a program based on stegenography. (Hiding a picture/image/etc,with in a "false cover image" For further reference check Cryptology& related areas) I won't patent it, it will be open source. In effect it "overlays" the picture on the screen, and asks me (when the program is engaged) to type out the word as I see it, over a specific word or any/all words. This will "teach" my WP program in time to "fix" words seen and/or typed. It maintains an image of the original word and when completed shows me how to type the "correct" word, or my system can just fix what I type. If I was not using that now, what I type would be, very icky... And no doubt there are still typing booboos.

As for the actions of the human race, I think the greater problem is not stupidity per-say, but narrow minded, arrogant, bigots. Let us not forget bigots. And a TOTAL lack of the masses understanding anything not related to "Lady Gaga" "Jersey Shore" and other intellectual pursuits... True scourge on this Earth. (By the way, I, AM, arrogant, but hey I'm entitled) I'll take a kind, considerate, dumb-a@! over anyone convinced they have an exclusive life long retainer with God, or act like they do, any day. I have lectured at the university level and the lack of knowing the essentials, notably history and basic science scares me poop-less. Our people not knowing the basics is in my view a direct threat to our national security. And we wonder why we're loosing our competitiveness. By the way my vision-language word "descrambler" product is not yet ready for prime time. ETAR (estimated time of alpha test ready), 12 months (+/-) But, this can change.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

NO, I think we are all as smart as our minds allow. So who is to judge whos smarter then the next except for the most intelligent. Another cannot judge and say they are smarter then anyother w/o knowing the true smart scale curve of ALL.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This quote is a direct ripoff of the matrix, with the word 'stupid' worked into it.

I understand the premise, but the op is, well, quite stupid. stupidity is subjective. To personify it as the op does is to show you dont understand that it is a subjective state of being, not something that can be measured.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I think there are some parallels here to the doublethink concept in 1984. I see it as a ball with the option to bounce ideas off of 2 others be them sources or avenues and yet to be determined. Like being a nucleus in a Helium atom to scramble your brain. Eventually it doesn't matter how the outer particles act if you are consistent. But I find applying a board to the head does about the same good.

As far as the image decoder, does tilting an LED screen to adjust the picture in any way? I've been eyeballing a plasma screen but I don't think it matters, I can't make that statement for other screens.

My other concept about doublethink (which in the wiki said it was holding on to the belief that black is white and vice versa until you head spins off) was to leave both ends of an option open sometimes. But then you find another option and it gets all screwed up. I also think it would be prudent to replace the "thought police" (whatever!) with the internet police who some say F2 when they're on the web.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Plastered

I'm looking for an air tube that connects my ears, are they legal? An actual air connection so I can hear myself. I was advised to do this before typing but I'm suspicious of what I may hear, and I haven't seen it done yet... perhaps my head will explode?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I got the tube around my ears to work by spinning in a chair simultaneously while spinning my arms in a spiral motion and sticking my feet in my mouth in an alternating fashion. And left me with a smoother jacket. I also drew the alphabet in a circle. I think Atari Boxing was another image that stuck with me.

I'll check back later. I thought there was a time conspiracy that predates even the Catholic church. I don't know why they're not talking about it, seems harmless like Hindu or something. I can't believe I'm writing such embarassing things sober, hmm... wait! I remember!

How about a website for kids that hides your regrettable statements so you don't stay embarrassed? Like a 2 day wait to publish diary security measure so everyone else has to wait to see your embarassing poetry? I just post anonamously.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by shoulda taken the blue pi
...you are just as stupid. Like everyone else you were born into stupidity. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch because you think your smarter then the rest and that is the prison for your mind.

I think 'stupid' is perhaps a bit strong, but I do see the point.

And, no, I don't think I'm smarter than everyone else, but I DID miss out on a few things that I believe give me a unique advantage.

At the risk of sounding like some backwoods hick, let me just list a few things that I 'missed out on' for the first 18 years of my life... Water fluoridation, vaccines, electricity, public schools, the internet, TV, cell phones, etc.

And that, my friends, has officially kept me out of the ;stupid' category.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I think we limit ourselves to what we want to achieve. Many feel they become a checkout clerk, cleaner, and that's as good as they'll ever become and they accept it. Others strive to become Doctors, Physicists, as there seen as being smart and nurtured for it, but its just a 'job' to them. However the true smart people is those who want to know everything about the world without people realising or pushing them for doing so, the Autistic minds for example.

We all know Humans use 10% of our brains capacity, the Plineal Gland not even being 'tapped' into. What a waste of 90% of our Brain the majority of us fail to use.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

<<   2 >>

join