It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Really Happening in Iraq (Graphic Images)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The British writer and Middle East War reporter, Robert Fisk, says:

I firmly believe that Journalism, by its failure to show the real horror of War, has become a Lethal Weapon supporting Governments that want to go to War. Nobody who would see what we have seen would EVER support a war again

The Iraq War, also referred to as Operation Iraqi Freedom, began in the March of 2003. In the lead up to the invasion, it was asserted by the Governments of United States and United Kingdom, that Saddam Hussein, then the President of Iraq, was developing weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) and, thereby, threatening the security of the United States and its allies. Since 2003, the Iraq war has claimed the lives of approximately 4,500 US troops and over 600,000 Iraqi civilians (estimates widely vary). It was always expected that the US news media would sanitize and censor the coverage of the War. In fact, Scott McClellan, the former White House Press Secretary for President Geroge Bush, publicly stated that the Media had been too easy on George Bush when the US was preparing for the invasion. CNN correspondent, Jessica Yellin, defended her colleagues in the media saying :

The press corps was under enormous pressure from corporate executives, frankly, to make sure that this was a war that was presented in a way that was consistent with the patriotic fever in the nation and the President's high approval ratings

More at:
What is Really Happening in Iraq (Graphic Images)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I thought I'll just add these additional facts here. I found them to be quite revealing.

Am I the ONLY one that find this disgusting? Please comment and let me know your thought guys.

Additional Iraq War Facts and Statistics

US Spending in Iraq
About $900 billion of US taxpayers' funds has been spent or approved for spending through November 2010. $9 billion of this money is lost or unaccounted for, as per ABC News.

In 2009, the U.S. monthly Spending in Iraq was $7.3 billion (as of Oct 2009)

In 2008, the U.S. monthly Spending in Iraq was $12 billion

U.S. Spending per Second - $5,000 in 2008 (as per former per Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid)

Congressional Research Service puts the cost of deploying one U.S. soldier for one year in Iraq as $390,000

Casualties and Troops in Iraq
As of Nov 30, 2010, there were a total 47,000 U.S. troops in Iraq. All other Nations have withdrawn their troops.

As per The Washington Post, there were more than 180,000 Private Contractors in Iraq in August 2007

4,439 US troops are dead and and additional 32,033 are wounded, 20% of which are serious brain or spinal injuries. (Total excludes psychological injuries). 30% of US troops develop serious mental health problems within 3 to 4 months of returning home

So far, 147 Journalists have died in Iraq (14 of them by US Forces), and Iraqi Police and Soldiers casualties stand at 9,830.

A UN issued report dated Sept 20, 2006 stating that Iraqi civilian casualties have been significantly under-reported. Casualties are reported at 50,000 to over 100,000, but may be much higher. Some informed estimates place Iraqi civilian casualities at over 600,000.

Miscellaneous Statistics
The unemployment rate in Iraq is 27% to 60%

In 2007, 28% Iraqi Children were suffering from Chronic Malnutrition (as per CNN)

Average Daily Hours Baghdad Homes Have Electricity - 5.6 in May 2007. Pre-War Daily Hours Baghdad Homes Have Electricity - 16 to 24

82% Iraqis "strongly opposed to presence of coalition troops
edit on 15-2-2011 by Pha3drus because: Grammar

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Excellent post. I come from a formerly war ridden country myself, I was just a baby when it was all happening so I don't remember, however 20+ years later I still see the effects of it on the adults that lived it. I lost a cousin and grandfather. My cousin was shot and killed at 16 years old by a sniper while playing in front his own house with his dog. It is partly because of this history and because because of my own morality that I have formed in life that I never support war except the most extreme circumstances when every peaceful method has been tried and failed and battle must be carried out in an act of defense... However this is RARELY the case. In my opinion 99% of wars happen for completely unjustifiable reasons. The war in Iraq is certainly unjustifiable for more reasons than I have the time to list.
Those who support these wars certainly can't possibly have a grasp on what goes on. Where is their empathy for the innocent civilians in Iraq? People buy into hollywood bull# and the idea of "war heroes" and believe that war is some sort of glamorous heroic act all in the name of patriotism for a country that is probably robbing them of their rights and freedoms whilst it feeds them this propaganda and zombifies them on a daily basis. War is never like the movies people. It is not pretty or glamorous in every way. It breaks hearts, kills countless innocents, destroys lives and only continues to set us back as a species. We have so much potential as human beings but so long as we continue to slaughter one another for ridiculous reasons we sure aren't going to get very far...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I am from Iraq (was not born there) and this is not an unknown fact to me or my family as we have lost relatives in Iraq.
Even most of my friends here in The Netherlands know about the truth but no matter who I talk to, they all think and say that nobody can stop it: "Its just the way it is".
They are just glad that the Dutch armed forces conduct properly and were/are generally more widely accepted and favored in Afghanistan.

Has any of you done any research on Blackwater (Now known as "Xe") or any other merc company?
Those are IMO far worse than even the most abusive US soldier.
Moral-lacking animals if you ask me!

IT--
edit on 16-2-2011 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
edit: This is an accidental doublepost- Could the mods please delete this post?

IT--
edit on 16-2-2011 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by edog11

Yes. Jeremy Scahill wrote an excellent book on Blackwater, and how big an industry private contractors have created in Iraq and Afghanistan. Everyone should read his book

www.amazon.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Iraq is a crime beyond comprehension. Until the Bush 6 are put on trial the United States will never be a just nation. I know that sounds harsh, but think about it. If the President can commit murder, or at least be complicit in the murder of hundreds of thousands of people what does that show about our country? It means that our legal system is fake. It means our people willingly elect leaders who commit genocide. It means that the American people are willing to pay for and ignore genocide.

It is a shame that the Democrats are as uneducated as the Republicans. They will follow their "team" no matter what the issue. Morality eh? Laws? eh. My party won! My president is articulate! Where is the anti-war left? They are as silent now as the supposed "Christian" right was during Bush era excesses.

Sorry for the bitterness, and anger. My heart goes out to these evil men of power who have so lost their way. I cannot fathom how people are not angry about these issues. People are mad about right/left punditry, or rhetoric from either side of the aisle. Why? They are not angry about the complete destruction of the morality of their nation, and the end of the rule of law!! I suppose I should not be surprised the republic has fallen in all but name.

new topics

top topics

join