It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart bullets You can run, but you can't hide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Smart bullets that follow the twists and turns of their victims after they have left the barrel of a gun are being developed in a US Air Force project. According to recently declassified research by the Department of Defense, the new bullets will allow snipers to hit targets several kilometres away.

So far the work has focused on the large-calibre bullets with diameters of 20 millimetres or more that are used in aircraft cannon. These bullets are notoriously inaccurate because they are blown off course by the wind and follow parabolic trajectories.

I think this technology is going to first appear for the sniper in the 50.cal bullet. Later it might find its ways into the 308 and smaller rounds but this tech just seems perfect for the snipers 50.cal round since it has such a great range already that would only be increased with this technology.

smart bullets

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
So far the work has focused on the large-calibre bullets with diameters of 20 millimetres or more that are used in aircraft cannon. These bullets are notoriously inaccurate because they are blown off course by the wind and follow parabolic trajectories.

smart bullets

Why not just use an ATGM like a TOW, or Metis ?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Kool great concept this will put a whole new meaning to the US Sniper motto "One shot one kill"

And it kind of is like a mini missile.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   
People will really mean it when they say "that bullet had his name on it."

I wonder what the final cost per round will be with mass production,
if it actually works well?
They say there will be a savings with less bullets used. But right now its almost 4 times the cost.
Interesting idea though..
We should start working on our nano-gps systems now
, get rid of the laser guidance.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   
snipering no proplemoy now

as they say in unreal tournmeny2003

head shot!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Getting a sensor down to that size is friggin hard.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Don�t worry bullets of the future will be mini missiles equipped with targeting system and sensor its only 10-20 years away thanx to nano technology we can make everything microscopic.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Thanks to nanotechnology humans can kill other humans even quicker/more efficiently!

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Man this is some sweet stuff. Of course now its only easier to assassinate enemies of the Bush administration. This kind of stuff is what snipings all about. Thanks to added range they can hit from farther, hit more accuratly, and it all adds even more stealth. Just when you think your safe.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Kool great concept this will put a whole new meaning to the US Sniper motto "One shot one kill"

And it kind of is like a mini missile.

Isn't that the motto, or at least objective, of all snipers?

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Uhh...cant you read what my post says i specifically said "this will give new meaning to the US sniper motto" so that means it is their motto now duh

E_T

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well, just one question, what if target goes behind something preventing "painting" of target.
And after all painting moving target wouldn't still be so easy.
Nothing is perfect.

And laser can be detected which alarms the target, for fighters there could be system that would quickly launch high off-boresight missile to direction where laser radiation comes.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Thats why i'm skeptical of laser sights on sniper rifles. Why use a laser that gives away your position if your just going to use a scope. But unless its TV guided lasers are a nessesary tradeoff for this technology.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Your tax dollars at work

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I know, I know, it doesn't fit with the seriousness of the thread, but it is rather interesting...

Develope a bullet that is powered by tachions...

Since tachions travel back in time, it would be possible to aim and shoot the gun in the direction in which the enemy WAS... this way, you can hit him before he moved.

In another related event...

There was this movie from the early 80's, starring Tom Seleck... cannot remember its name... but it involved Seleck chasing down this guy who was re-programming household robots to kill. The bad guy had a gun which fired heat seeking bullets.

Amazing how reality reflects sci-fi.

*edit, typos*

[edit on 20-7-2004 by soothsayer]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Thats why i'm skeptical of laser sights on sniper rifles. Why use a laser that gives away your position if your just going to use a scope. But unless its TV guided lasers are a nessesary tradeoff for this technology.

The enemy wont see anything because the XM-29 uses a new laser which is only visible to the shooter in the scope it can not be seen by the human eye or with thermal or night vision goggles so there is the answer to your problem

[edit on 20-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
I know, I know, it doesn't fit with the seriousness of the thread, but it is rather interesting...

In another related event...

There was this movie from the early 80's, starring Tom Seleck... cannot remember its name... but it involved Seleck chasing down this guy who was re-programming household robots to kill. The bad guy had a gun which fred heat seeking bullets.

Amazing how reality reflexs sci-fi.

The movie was ''Runaway'' Gene Simmons of KISS played the bad guy in the movie. I think the heat seaking bullets in the movie could be programed to a persons personal heat signature and it would track just that person. Also I think they had explosive bullets that were like a mini warhead or something its been awhile since Ive seen that movie though

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Explosive bullets have been around for a long time you can buy exploding bullets and use them on sniper rifles although i think they are illegal

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Explosive Bullets are outlawed by the Geneva Convention.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
That would not apply to PMCs (Private military companys) They never signed the Geneva convention.They are playing a ever larger role in modern combat.

I dont under stand that ruling anyway a 40mm gernade is basically a 40mm explosive bullet so why not outlaw that. Or something like landmines is ok that kills whatever and whoever but no explosive bullets. There are alot a worse weapons used by Armies around the world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join