It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Robert Anton Wilson and similar authors thread.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Whats up! Hope everyones having a nice day/night
(depending what time you happen to be reading this). I basically made this thread with the hope of getting a good discussion going about r.a.w and his ideas...etc and similar writers... philosophers... the nature of reality... etc....etc. Who knows where the thread'll go if a cool discussion gets goin...

Any fans of R.A.W on this site? Hes def up there amongst my favorite modern writers who make you realy think about things, and I love his sense of humor and how doesnt take himself so seriously. I especially like how he explains reality (the whole reality tunnel thing). I watched a pretty cool documentary earlier tonight on him called Maybe Logic which does a pretty good job of going over all his basic ideas/thoughts...etc its about hour and half heres a link to it on google video video.google.com...# . Its basically just a bunch of clips from interviews and such edited together in a pretty cool way i thought. I love the clips where he has the long white beard and the hair looking like some old wiseman philosopher or something.

My favorite books by him are probably the first and third cosmic trigger, prometheus rising and quantum psychology. you can read all of quantum here - www.pauladaunt.com... . all of prometheus here - www.rawilsonfans.com... . heres first cosmic trigger - www.bibliotecapleyades.net... . illuminatus trilogy and a few others can be found online as well.

Which of his books do yall like?

Anyone have any recomendations for writers and books similar to r.a.w ? I personally cant really think of any so I'd love some recomendations

Peace out!

edit on 12-2-2011 by jeasahtheseer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
A friend lent me Principia Dicsordia once & I instantly fell in love with it. I found the illuminatus trillogy in a free box & so far it's been the only book of his I've read. Had my I on cosmic trigger & prometheus rising for a while now but am unemployed so buying them has been out of the question:.(

It sucks wanting to read so many books but not being able to do anything about it...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PinkAndBlack

Principia Discordia is great too... hail eris!!! Although who wrote that book confuses me so much, sometimes I see r.a.w credited as the author, but then sometimes i see Greg Hill (Malaclypse The Younger) credited as the author.

Check my original post I posted some links to online pdfs of cosmic trigger, prometheus rising and quantum psychology. Check em out
The first cosmic trigger imo is a very fun book to read, and its really funny too. It was written in 1977 so a lot of the stuff concerning certain "scientific" type things in the book is incredibly outdated but overall its still such a awesome book in my opinion. And prometheus rising and quantum are basically what I would call "brain # manuals" if you actual follow and do lot the exercises and things he talks about. Its all great fun!

Peace out

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Hail Eris
Thanx! Don't know how I missed those links
My friend is reading one of his books, can't remember which one, but it's about some feuding families in Italy I think. Sounds really good & the main character is a little boy whose last name is Celine.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I loved Illuminatus! Trilogy! I havn't read any of his other stuff yet, but I would like to so thanks for posting! I have Principia Discordia to read as well, really looking forward to that.

I would put R.A.W on a list with Carl Sagan, Terrecne McKenna, Bill Hicks, George Carlin, George Orwell and Aldous Huxley.... All knew more about life than half the worlds population put together, all had charisma and talent, and I discovered all of them after they were dead, unfortunately.

I find it kind of strange that there dosn't seem to be many similar people alive right now, or is it that we only realise how important what they had to say was after they died?

Carlitomoore

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

Great list! I especially love Mckenna. George Carlin and of course the GREAT bill hicks, hicks has gotta be my fav comedian ever. And huxley is completely awesome too. Brave new world is great.. and cant forgot about doors of perception. Carl Sagan is one man I'm completely ignorant about to be completely honest. I mean of course I know who he is, but I hardly know anything about it. Also George Orwell of course I know who he is but ive never read any of novels. I got some ideas of some things to check out now next time at the bookstore, thanks.

And very cool youtube vid you posted! Thats from one of my favorite r.a.w talks, and the trippy video fit with it amazingly!

Any of you into philip k dick... hes one of my absolute favorites. Three stigmata of palmer eldritch is freaking awesome.

Anyways thanks for posting.

Peace and have a great day

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

Huh. I always considered Cosmic Trigger II to be the strongest of the trilogy.

"The New Inquisition" is another favorite of mine. "Prometheus Rising" should be required reading for every 7th grader in the English speaking world -- it's basically the owner's manual for the human mind.

Yeah, R.A.W. is one of the most important philosophers ever born, IMHO. His articulation of Model Agnosticism is probably the single most influential voices in my intellectual chorus.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This is one of my favorite robert anton wilson interviews/talks. Techniques for consciousness change video.google.com...# . Theres of tons great recordings and videos of his lectures on google video and youtube. Just type in robert anton wilson on google video and theres lotsa cool stuff.

And to stunspot - I think cosmic ii is pretty damn great too, when I read cosmic tirgger too I feel like I'm reading just a bunch of little essays which was what cosmic trigger 1 was too but I love the way he pieced them all toegether in trigger 1. I definitely agree with you about prometheus. I've havent read the new inquisition yet. He has a few books I havent read. Like the historical illuminatus books, email to the universe and theres a few others I can't think of the names of at the moment.

edit on 13-2-2011 by jeasahtheseer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I've bought the Illuminatus trilogy for 50p a couple of weeks ago and was just about to start reading it, but chose to have a look on here first. Synchronicities man! They freak me out!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Im waiting for a copy of schrodingers cat trilogy to be delivered to me, as well as some other RAW. I don't know has taken me so long, because I loved Illuminatus! trilogy. Anyways, now I can't wait! Il drop back in when I get started!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Gotta say thanks for your thread, its got me back into RAW big time and its enabled me to start thinking logically again.

I have finished reading Schrodingers Cat trilogy, it was brilliant! I have just watched maybe logic about 5minutes ago, superb.

Just got Masks of the Illuminati, Cosmic Trigger I & II and the historical illuminati chronicles 1 & 2 delivered this week, so Im gonna be all Rawed up.

You are all Popes!
Hail Eris!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
just read everything he wrote

they are all amazing books which will teach you more about everything than anything else you will find!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

haha thats awesome!
I actually just ordered lots of his books too, I've read a lot of them but most of them I've only read on the computer and I HATE reading off the computer, so I finally ordered hard copies last night. I got cosmic trigger 1, drugs sex and magick, prometheus, illuminatus and email to the universe coming in a couple days

I discovered raw like less than a year ago and love him! I find him to be a truly inspiring person. I wish more people could "get" him, for instance I've tried to show videos like maybe logic to friends and most them say stuff like "what is this mumbo jumbo, what is this dude talking about" and I don't get what they mean cause he makes perfect sense to me. It seems with raw people either get him or they don't. I especially love his optimism and positivity and humor, its hard to be positive and be a optimist in this world we are living in. He was like that all the way until the end too, his last blog entry was "I look forward without dogmatic optimism but without dread. I love you all and I deeply implore you to keep the lasagna flying. Please pardon my levity, I don't see how to take death seriously. It seems absurd." He passed 5 days after posting that. R.I.P sir!

Anyways peace!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
oops, double post (damn slow wireless internet). Sorry.
edit on 27-3-2011 by jeasahtheseer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I have watched a few of RAWs video interviews and read some quotes here and there. Interesting and thought provoking ideas. Any one particular book of his that would be a good starter for someone with no real post secondary brain training?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dl2one

Hey whats up dl2one hope you are having a nice night

I think the best way to get into raw is read cosmic trigger 1 which you can read in pdf format here: www.bibliotecapleyades.net... . I find this book to be so freaking entertaining in the past year I've read in pdf like 5 times and I just ordered a hard copy of it last night off amazon which I will read again. It is basically just the story of what happened after he finished writing illuminatus and continued to research all that kind of stuff, its pretty freakin crazy. Also watch maybe logic, a documentary that is basically just a collection of clips but edited in a entertaining way and it presents his basic ideas. You can watch that on google video here: video.google.com...# .

Also watch his other videos and such on youtube and google, theres tons of 'em. Of course also check out illuminatus and the other cosmic triggers...etc.

After that if you are still interested in him check out prometheus rising and quantum psychology which I have links to pdfs of in my opening post in this thread. In those books he gives little exercises at the end of each chapter, and most of them seem retarded and/or absurd but do them and things do happen....

Also when reading his books do not take him seriously! Don't take anything he says as truth or fact.... But then again maybe it is the truth/fact. You'll see what I mean when you start reading his books.

Peace!

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by carlitomoore
I find it kind of strange that there dosn't seem to be many similar people alive right now,

there is still...

Maynard James Keenan....

join