It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Produce Cost Triple Over Night!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I do not suport illegals at all! Its a job im relying on, till i try n get promoted. been with the company for 16 years. Basically, all i know. Thing is, i wanna report them, i dont get fair treatment most the time, like they do amongst themselves..gets aggravating. manager knows thier illegal..so basiocally threatenting to cut my hours and/or job if i say anything. I know its suposed to annymous, reporting them, but thier gunna know it me, at this CVS pharmacy. The other stores hire or have them too, and as a result, i a taxpaying cotizen suffer. this countrys gone to hell, too corporations. CVS give special treatment too illegalls..and thos eof us wanting to tell the truth, do the right thing, are punished. american buisness needs to be re drawn and designed. thats my thing..retrubution for reporting them from a major pharmacutical corporation

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
If a food I usually buy trebled I just wouldn't buy it. There will be alternatives out there. Look for local and in season fruit and veg, which is usually cheaper or look for an equivalent; If rice skyrockets I'd buy potatoes or pasta instead.

The staples (beans, carrots, potatoes, onions) around where I am anyway don't appear to fluctuate too much (I also grow my own potatoes in bags on my 2 metre square yard; don't have garden. One day a few potatoes I had bought from a shop started sprouting because I had forgotten them and I felt sorry for them so instead of throwing them out I planted them to see what would happen and a few months later I got a crop and carried on from there!).

You can make some really tasty and filling food from the staples as long as you add spices and a bit of meat; chunky stews, chilis; roasted etc.

I am noticing really big food price increases on many many things in the supermarkets (UK) but so far I have just been able to change habits and shop around them; I am not really loyal enough to a certain food to buy it all the time whatever. Also I have about a month of dry and tinned goods stored always (a habit gained from parents living on a small island where weather would disrupt shipments so a well stocked larder was a must) in case I need to wait out fluctuations or just have a week where I choose not to buy food.

I fear for what will happen if this trend increases though because everything else in life is rising too and food is the one thing you can't skip.
edit on 11-2-2011 by randomdan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slan1
Get the poor mans survival kit: Big bags of ( 20 - 25lb) 1 rice, 1 beans, 1 flour, 1 sugar, 1 pasta,
about $60.00 total, at present prices. Some multi-vits and minerals too.

Should feed a family of 4 for a month or more easy, peace of mind on the cheap.

I agree, you should have some supplies saved ..

However, I like some veggies with my rice.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Any "wild" yeast you have in your home is most likely the same yeast you used when you purchased it. I know I have used a real sourdough yeast (sanfranciscus...something), and can start yeast anytime. Sterilize a jar (or at least fill with boiling water for a while, dump the water out and let air dry. Put some 1 cup of flour, 2 T of sugar, and a pinch of salt. Mix in enough water to make a batter. Leave out for a day, then cover with some plastic wrap, leave someplace warm and wait. When it gets a good head, if it heads up, smell it. If it smells good, you have a good starter. If it doesn't, throw it out and go buy some good yeast.
If you are really adventurous and want to try some really wild yeast, buy some organic grapes. Rinse off under running water. The yeast is in the cloudy haze on the grapes, called the bloom. It's a combination of yeast and sugar chemically; it's waxy to naturally hold the moisture and protect the fruit. It's also found on cabbage. This is why we have wine (from the yeast fermenting the grapes when juiced) and sauerkraut (from the yeast fermenting the cabbage). In a sterilized jar, put warm water and start holding the grapes under the water and rub. Drop the grapes into the jar, too. Do this for about a handful. Let set for a while, then pour the water into another jar with flour, sugar and salt, cover with plastic wrap and wait for a head to form. If it smells good, use it.
One thing that people don't seem to realize during produce hikes is that frozen veggies are at least as good or better than fresh during off season. A frozen veggie is picked, washed, blanched, and frozen within hours of picking. If not grown locally, most "fresh" produce has been picked for over a week before it makes it into the store. And that's just the backroom......depending on all kinds of things, like sales, display method (refrigerated over non-, for example) they might be in the backroom for a few days before hitting the floor. While frozen won't be good for survival purposes, we aren't in survival mode right now. And Kroger still is selling frozen veggies on the 10 for $10 sales. I used to work in a large produce department, and I saw the pick dates on the boxes. There is a lot of science and art that goes into keeping produce fresh, pretty, and saleable. If they didn't we wouldn't have most fresh produce during the winter, and no delicate thing like berries except locally-grown. But the longer something is picked, the less nutritive it is. I choose cheaper, frozen the day they were picked beans over $3 lb. "fresh" any day.
And in the summer, I'll grow my own.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot
Who needs any of that.... just stock up on large quanitys of sprouts and your set!
I just did alot of research the last week and ordered a bunch. Sprouts do truely seem like a super food... and you can grow year round in colder regions!

First thing that popped into my head.
They are very nutritious and easy to grow.

A wide mouth mason jar with a lid ring and some cheesecloth is all you need. Seed is cheap too.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well... I suppose it is time to plant that garden if you have been putting it off. Buy your seeds now...heirloom and old fashioned are best for the long term... some hybrids will be good for this summer.

Buy canning supplies while you can, and learn to use them.

Go ahead and buy barter items also... cigarettes, beer-wine-liquor, med supplies, toilet paper, etc.

Look to posts on the Survival threads for suggestions.... the time is near, friends. From what I am reading in the WSJ, The NY Times, European papers, on the net...our economy is tettering on collapse. Virginia's State Legislature is actually looking at plans to mint it's own coinage in the event of a dollar collapse. The Congress is considering bills to allow states to declare bankruptcy... ie California.

China, Russia, India, Europe are pushing for an alternative trade currency other than the dollar. The Fed is buying our US debt at the fastest pace ever... this is like a husband running up debt and the wife agrees to payoff the debt... and he borrows to pay her back...

Even good business people are starting to get worried.... even rumours that the US Govt is artificially proping up the stock market. The US populace is starting to borrow again... which only drives more debt. Home interest rates are going up...interest rates are starting to go up...because no one wants to buy our debt...so we have to raise interest rates to make the rate of return on buying our debt a worthwhile risk.

Plan now.... if nothing happens and we are wrong, you will have plenty for the next snow storm. I finally opened my last pack of matches I bought for Y2K...lol... it really did last 10 years.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
the sad thing is..the stores will stock it..noone will buy at such high prices so it will go bad and be thrown out.
a terrible waste all around.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Luckily we still have a pantry full of my canned and dehydrated veggies left, and still some bags of frozen fruits and veggies to use up. That will easily last us until the next growing season. This will be the first year I will not be planting a garden. Instead I plan to support our local farmer's market and buy all my fresh produce there during the summer. After figuring out all the time and money I spend on my garden, I think it will be almost cheaper and definitely much easier to just buy from the local growers and give them my support. I plan to buy there all the things I would normally grow ( and more ) and focus my attention to the preservation, canning, freezing, drying. This wouldn't work for people who do not have access a farmer's market though.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Stars

A most informative posting and am sure it is for many... thank you

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Ziggy

Sounds like a screw job for you and if your right and it is true. Well, then turn in the illegal aliens in
anonymously that work in a branch/ pharmacy that you do not work at....

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Damn that Global Warming [/sarcasm]
I know the shills will come out and say "it is climate change". It is bs pure and simple. I would more likely believe that the ice age is beginning again. Irregardless, man has little to no appreciable impact on weather.

It's climate change.

No, seriously though, the climate is changing.. the poles are getting warmer and the jet stream currents are adjusting to new patterns, the result of which may be winter dips or new areas of precipitation or drought, depending where you are.

It's agriculture. Sometimes # happens. Weather is never a stable beast, and never has been.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Slan1

thanks..i want too. the branch, msotly is the one that iwork in, that has illegals. Main reason is becaue ive never been so mistreated or dissrepsected inmy entire life! i honestly believe thier racist as well. legally, you cannot be terminated for doing as the law states...but im finding thiers corporate loopholes* jsut dont wanna go through so much hassle and threatening for doing the right thing.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706

I do not suport illegals at all! Its a job im relying on, till i try n get promoted. been with the company for 16 years. Basically, all i know. Thing is, i wanna report them, i dont get fair treatment most the time, like they do amongst themselves..gets aggravating. manager knows thier illegal..so basiocally threatenting to cut my hours and/or job if i say anything. I know its suposed to annymous, reporting them, but thier gunna know it me, at this CVS pharmacy. The other stores hire or have them too, and as a result, i a taxpaying cotizen suffer. this countrys gone to hell, too corporations. CVS give special treatment too illegalls..and thos eof us wanting to tell the truth, do the right thing, are punished. american buisness needs to be re drawn and designed. thats my thing..retrubution for reporting them from a major pharmacutical corporation

Without those illegals the price of food would be even higher - it's not them you should be up against. The more they devide us the weeker we are and the way US is going - you might just find yourself in the same position one day.
Sorry if this is a little abrupt but I truly believe the masses whereever they are from should stand together to fight the system. There's enough money and food to feed the world but they want to depopulate the planet for their evil reasons. and they will get rid of a few of us if we fight with eachother - we are all trying to survive in a cruel world.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I was grocery shopping today and did notice produce prices were up quite a bit from last weekend. It's only the two of us and I was thinking how expensive it must be to shop for an entire family.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
dude im 35. when i was 15 i got a job in local grocery store. EVERY sunday, theyde send me to clean the bathrooms. their was human feces and diareahha ALL oer the wall in back and going up fromt he toilet! the guatemalans i NEVER saw washing thier hands. thier was one thier, who they allowed to drink while gathering carriages. those same ones..worked in produce*
i NEVER bought produce form thier.
Ironically, the older itialin guy working in the meat section, new how to get gernades..managers son todl me one day and i didnt belive him, so he 'introduced me to him' former mafia involved guy or something. pineapple gernades,t o be exact...
sick same ones in my store i work..they never was thier hands leaving the bathroom. they use the garbage can for used toilet paper... plus taking jobs away form us, their possibly contaminating the customers purchases with bacteria..all the pharmacutical company, seems to favor this in terms of cheaper labor.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Great...more increase in prices. I guess mother nature wanted to us back.

This reminds me of last winter in Florida when all of the orange groves were freezing and many fruits were hard to come by. Lemons etc.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
SO maybe helping keeping the costs down, dosnt do you no good unless you have a job* let alone breaking federal and laobr laws, and allowing colon bacteria laced products back to the taxpayers home

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

One should have a good feel for his local surroundings because when it comes down to it you may have to be the hunter/gatherer for your family.

Lots of edible mushrooms in just about every region so its important to do your research for those plants you may have to rely on. Squirrels are edible but I really hope it don't come down to that ah?

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706

Oh I wasn't accusing you of supporting illegals, I could tell by your post you weren't happy about the situation. I was just kind of making a sarcastic comment about the people that put illegals up on a pedestal and say stupid things like "illegals only take jobs Americans won't do"

What upsets me, if you are against people that break the law, and take jobs and don't contribute to society (sorry, but if you are here illegally, you do not have a SSN. You can not pay taxes on your wages, therefore you are just taking income from Americans and not paying into the system) then you are called a racist, or a bigot. I know from personal experience that they are in fact taking jobs that Americans would be grateful for, not contributing any tax dollars, removing wealth from our country by sending it back to Mexico, and taking advantage of our medical system.

I worked at a factory that had a workforce of about 300 people on the floor. Over half of them were illegals. No, this is not me being a racist saying they are illegals because they are Mexican. This is me saying they are illegals because, in addition to many of them flat out saying they are, they were ALL fired after a crackdown on illegal workers. There were also a large portion of Russian immigrants working there. The difference is that after the crackdown on illegal labor, all the Russians were still there. They came here legally, paid their taxes, and worked hard. After the illegals were fired, they had a mass hiring and all of those positions were filled with Americans who are contributing tax dollars.

I don't have a problem at all with the people themselves. I got along great, and really liked quite a few of them, and honestly was sad to see them go just because I became close with a lot of them. I just have a problem with them not paying taxes, taking a job that someone who is legally here could have, and getting medical care that they in no way pay for. If poor Russians from many many times farther away can become a legal worker, I don't see why the Mexican immigrants can't do the same.

In addition to that, and I know I'm going to be called a racist for this, they refused to adapt to the culture of American employment. There was one bathroom area for the whole factory, that had 15 stalls in it. Quite literally, no exaggeration, EVERY single day EVERY stall would have a pile a foot tall of feces covered toilet paper next to the toilet. Not only is this disgusting it is also a health hazard. The company hired someone, who's exact title eludes me at the moment, but it was their job to talk with the illegals about this specific issue. There were signs in Spanish posted in the bathrooms to PLEASE FLUSH YOUR TOILED PAPER. It never happened.

Every time I would go into the bathroom there would be at least 15-20 of them standing around in there, sometimes 2-3 people IN A STALL together talking and joking, while they were supposed to be working. Again, I'm being serious and not exaggerating, the company REMOVED the stall's doors because of this happening. It did not stop it. About a month after removing the stall's doors is when they fired all the illegals. You know what? there was no longer masses of people standing around the bathroom talking and skipping out on work. There was also no more feces covered stacks of used toilet paper in the stalls.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Slan1

I have read many survival blogs that suggest the supplies you mention...but my question is..

WHAT do you do with 25lbs of flour? I mean without yeast what exactly can you make?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join