It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mubarak Steps Down as President, Army Takes Over

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Mubarak Steps Down as President, Army Takes Over

abcnews.go.com

Egypt's embattled President Hosni Mubarak abruptly stepped down as president, ending his 30-year-rein, and Egyptian armed forces will take over the leadership of the country, vice president Omar Suleiman announced today.

Crowds gathered in Cairo's Tahrir Square erupted into loud cheers, chanting "Egypt is free," as the historic announcement was made.

"My fellow citizens. In this difficult time that the country is going through, the president Mohamed Hosni Mubarak has decided to relieve himself of his position as president and the Supreme military council has taken control of the state's affairs. May God protect us," Suleiman said during his somber one-minute announcement on TV.

Crowds gathe
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 11-2-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
And he's done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As he relaxes in a resort off of the Sinai, Sulieman made the announcement which was greeted with wild cheers (and no shoes lol).

Victory in Egypt!!!!!!!

I am so happy for the people, and I hope that they retain their focus in the transition and get the freedoms that desire.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
You beat me to it - by 14 SECONDS!

Cheers,
OC

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Go Egypt! The people hold the power, you inspire us all!

Hopefully, the transition to new leaders this year will be smooth and blood-free for them from here out.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

it's cool it happens

They don't call it breaking news for nothing.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
What the Egyptians can do, the world can do!

No more Empires. No more tyrrany. No more control!

Let freedom ring!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Does he get to keep the 70 billion dollars he reportedly siphoned from Egypt? That would be so wrong!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
this will just buy enough time to implement emergency checkpoint protocols to quell the next one, plus an internet kill switch so no other videos go viral to start something like this again

nothing has changed.... not unless it's planned

+2 more 
link   
S & F

In cases such as these I always hear a little voice in the back of my head whisper...
Be careful what you wish for

I wish them the best of luck.

Godspeed.

link   
Military In Power NOW..

Oppressions starts in 3.....2.......1

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Victory for the people . Bet the other dictators in that area wont be sleeping to easy. Good luck to the Egyptians
edit on 11-2-2011 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Exactly, an inspiration for us all.

I think that one of the most important lessons learned, at least for me, was that the process and removal can be done peacefully. Don't lose focus and don't be intimidated by those who wish to discredit you.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Not sure what will happen after this point, but I'm glad they have persevered and won their country back. All great news today! If I lived there, I would be very proud to be an Egyptian.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Is not the Egyptian military very much US controlled? That's what I've heard over the days. Is this going to be another land/power grab by US?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Wouldn't get to happy yet. Just because he stepped down doesn't mean that the stability of the region will happen over night. The VP apparently isnt as good as Mubarek, and we here in the US already see what the military complex does to a government, it rules ~ With their government taking a strong hold, anything could happen!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Live on Algezera english.. They are cheering away! Woot!

english.aljazeera.net...

Deebo
edit on 11-2-2011 by Deebo because: added link

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
As I said on the other thread.

I hope it goes well for the people...

They have had their leaders for the last 60 years from the military, so I hope they get true democracy this time....

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Some might think *great their free*..

The thing is it will all back fire.

Your going to have another hostile middle eastern state.

The muslim brotherhood already have people imbedded into the government affairs..

This will become another Iran, a false freedom. There will be more tyranny then ever in the years to come.

The marjority there are still primitive. Yes they are advanced in middle eastern terms, but
in the way we view things and hold a republic they can not yet.

They are years behind in development compared to the USA, Europe, and England.

I pray for the best though, let thy wills be done.
edit on 11-2-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

link   

Turn up your speakers and sing..!!!!!

Peaceful protest does work

Way too go Egypt.....!!!!!!!

Queen - We Are The Champions

link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yes, I too hopes it goes well.

While there is always the fear of another oppressive regime, I think modern technology really plays an important part, especially in a modern country such as Egypt.

Egypt was/is strong and advanced. The people refuse to be abused, scared, intimidated and it is time to expose the crimes of the powerful, be it on youtube, through wikileaks, etc.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join