It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS and the Development of Cynicism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
When I joined this forum in 2007, I was sharing ideas that were locked up and forbidden in average conversations.

2008 came, I was up to a few hundred flags and people started debating with me.

2009, the depression hits and somehow things became less "interesting."

2010, I hardly posted anything that was insightful from my point of view because people didn't really pay too much attention to them. Threads that were the most popular were infected by paredolia, superstitions, and apophenia. Threads that were original and deserved merit were never flagged either because ATS members are too stupid or uninsightful.

2011, I started posting degrading remarks in all of the most "popular" topics because none of them were anywhere as interesting as those from the time when I joined the forum. I also noticed that the great skeptics (the origin of alternative theories) from back then are now gone.

This is what I think has happened. The flag system has created a group of people who are only interested in getting "flags." Over the past 3-4 years, these people have constantly dominated the frontpage with stereotypical conspiracy theory threads with UFOs, aliens, and most noticeably: "fear mongering."

The original reputation of ATS have been disintegrated by pseudoscience and fictitious accounts that would make any "normal" person laugh. The ATS that I was once able to share my ideas on is now gone.

I don't think I would ever publicly associate myself with this website again because I know that people who mock me for being the stereotypical tin-foil "conspiracy theorist."

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Even fear, fears death it''s a know factor, and old as the stories for those who spin a tale loved by all.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I don't know, "this forum is going to hell compared with the old days" is an ancient meme on every forum, whether the "old days" in question were last week, last year, or last decade.

There is always more noise than signal. Our challenge is to find the signal.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

And there are always more trolls than more noise or more signal. And anyone who posts in a "degrading" way is a TROLL.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

You must have angered a lot of people in your past and these people have come back onto ATS and become the trolls that are angering you so much. Now you have to change your past to get rid of these trolls in the past, present, and future.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Okay then, well, good-bye.
You can always come back under another user name if you're too embarrassed to recant your farewell.
Obviously, you still have some sort of attachment to ATS else you wouldn't feel compelled to announce your intention to discontinue participation.

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Agreed! I never cared for the flag system. I don't read a thread based on flags or stars given. I read it based on the OPs opening post.

I am personally getting tired of the flag system those who want to whore it ruining good posts because they want to steal it from others.

I never flag those members. they only want the attention and some brag about it. Id rather see how many people viewed my thread over how many flagged and starred it. I read threads I dont flag or even star.

I wish people would just read the thread and not care about how many flags they have.

top topics

join