It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Meaning of Life

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Do you think that life has a purpose? Evolutionist William B. Provine says: "What we have learned about the evolutionary process has enormous implications for us, affecting our sense of meaning in life," His conclusion? " I can see no cosmic or ultimate meaning in human life."

Consider the significance of those words. If the ultimate meaning in life were nonexistent, then you would have no purpose in living other than to try to do some measure of good and perhaps pass on your genetic traits to the next generation. At death, you would cease to exist forever. Your brain, with its ability to think, reason, and meditate on the meaning of life, would simply be an accident of nature.

I made the mistake of opening my door the Jehovah's Witnesses a few weeks ago, and they came back today to enlighten me with utter crap. However, I must say this last part of their pamphlet (the quote above) does get one pondering. They go onto say life does have meaning and our loving creator has a place for us in heaven and so on, but I'm more interested in the philosophy of life having no meaning. Is life really pointless if it has no "ultimate meaning"? Would you feel death a valid choice if you discovered that your life has no specific purpose and there is no underlying meaning for why we are here? Would you become a bad person if you knew for sure your actions would not lead to eternal damnation? Do you need some unseen higher force to guide you in the right direction? I find it revealing that if life was pointless, the first thing the Jehovah's mention is doing some good. But why bother, don't you need God to be a good person? Aren't all atheist's evil sinners? Isn't life just a pointless waste of time when a God we can't even confirm as real turns out to be not real?

My philosophy: You decide the meaning of life.

In simple terms, if you believe that being a good and righteous person has meaning because it brings care and connection between human beings, you just gave it meaning, there doesn't need to be some ultimate meaning written in some cosmic rule book, THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THAT, you will never ever find a dead set meaning to life. Life is what it is, nothing more, nothing less. Having a creator doesn't make it any more meaningful, in fact it makes it less meaningful if anything, it makes us mere creations of a true being. Do you really think a world without religion would be chaos because people would know no rules or civility? You my friend, are brain washed to a high degree, because it would be quite the opposite. Real truth and meaning can only come from YOU, from your inner self and being, stop lying to yourself and just acknowledge the fact you only seek guidance from some invisible force because you can't find the right path on your own, you fear that you'll easily become a bad person if disconnected from God.

edit on 8-2-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I always thought the answer to the ultimate meaning of life was 42, but maybe these jehosephats are on to something here....

Naw, it's 42.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I believe that we can make our lives meaningful, regardless of religion.

The world is, generally, a hard cold place and often full of dissapointment. But we can be the highlight of someone else's existence. No matter how brief. That's worthwhile.

We can make a heaven, or hell, of this world by our choice or actions.

Also, if there is a God (and I think there is) it makes sense that he created the world for some valid reason, that's my view.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Also, if there is a God (and I think there is) it makes sense that he created the world for some valid reason, that's my view.

Ok, lets say there is a God and he created the Universe, there could be a million different reasons why such a being would create us.

But none of those reasons would dictate the meaning of life.

Who created God in the first place, and why? What is the purpose of life for a true being like God?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz

Ok, lets say there is a God and he created the Universe, there could be a million different reasons why such a being would create us.

But none of those reasons would dictate the meaning of life.

Who created God in the first place, and why? What is the purpose of life for a true being like God?

Where did his Daddy come from MaMa ? And on and on. You must realise what you are suggesting here.
I used to hate, when people would use this kind of child like reasoning. Still do really. It seems pathetic.
However,
consider that you are suggesting an infinite number of causes in regression.

An infinite number of causes would span an infinite amount of time. Does that sound possible?

So there must be a causeless cause somewhere. God is the causeless cause. He, as He said, is the alpha and the omega, the beqginning and the end to everything.

Peace bra

Oh by the way to answer your question. To serve God. Or as Ilike to put it. To make God smile.
edit on 8-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

So there must be a causeless cause somewhere. God is the causeless cause. He, as He said, is the alpha and the omega, the beqginning and the end to everything.

See, that sounds closer to child like reasoning from my perspective. You're entirely ignoring the whole fact that some how, in some way, God had to evolve into some sort of eternal all knowing being. Just like I wouldn't expect a functioning human brain to simply pop out of thin air, I can't fathom how a sentient being capable of creating Universes just always has been and will be. That essentially means that the heart of reality is Gods consciousness, in all dimensions and at all periods of time. In the most simple terms God is everything and if you were to strip reality down the basics the only thing left would be the raw consciousness of God. I just don't think it's very plausible personally and I see little evidence of it.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Probably not the right place to post this but here are a few paradigms that you could apply to the birth/creation/existence of God.

In a multiverse with billions of possibilities of emergent deities, the most powerful deity, assumingly with the power to cross univereses/possibilities, would assert his particular "reality" above all others, collapsing the actual existence of all other possibilities.

If God is not bounded by time, perhaps he started lesser, gained power & primacy and then reached back & kicked off time and the creation from which he would eventually be emergent.

I'm not saying that these are actually the way things are but it's fun to stretch ones mind to big concepts (I have an interest in Physics and to me, these concepts are reasonable in light of what we are theorising in regard to the quantum realm).

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

reply to post by randyvs

See, that sounds closer to child like reasoning from my perspective. You're entirely ignoring the whole fact that some how, in some way, God had to evolve into some sort of eternal all knowing being. Just like I wouldn't expect a functioning human brain to simply pop out of thin air, I can't fathom how a sentient being capable of creating Universes just always has been and will be. That essentially means that the heart of reality is Gods consciousness, in all dimensions and at all periods of time. In the most simple terms God is everything and if you were to strip reality down the basics the only thing left would be the raw consciousness of God. I just don't think it's very plausible personally and I see little evidence of it.

Nor will you.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

When you were young did you ever create anything? Did you draw pictures, make lego models, or build models?

What was the first thing you wanted to do when you finished? Did you not run to mom and dad and show them your creation? Weren't you happy that they saw it and loved it?

Thats the meaning of life. God created everything, and he gets joy out of seeing us discover what he has created. He created it all for us to discover. He IS his creation, and we are his finest aspect of it, because we are capable of enjoying it and discovering it.

Now if we could just stop killing each other long enough over worshipping him, he has plenty more to show us!

Look UP!

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
CHRONAUT

Originally posted by chr0naut
Probably not the right place to post this but here are a few paradigms that you could apply to the birth/creation/existence of God.

In a multiverse with billions of possibilities of emergent deities, the most powerful deity, assumingly with the power to cross univereses/possibilities, would assert his particular "reality" above all others, collapsing the actual existence of all other possibilities.

If God is not bounded by time, perhaps he started lesser, gained power & primacy and then reached back & kicked off time and the creation from which he would eventually be emergent.

I'm not saying that these are actually the way things are but it's fun to stretch ones mind to big concepts (I have an interest in Physics and to me, these concepts are reasonable in light of what we are theorising in regard to the quantum realm).

And, if I may say so, what a brilliant mind you have sir. That was excellent.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Thanks, but I can hardly claim to be the originator of such grand ideas.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Brilliance recited so masterfully is still excellent and I appreciate you bringing it forward. So thank you.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Thats the meaning of life. God created everything, and he gets joy out of seeing us discover what he has created. He created it all for us to discover.

So, breaking that down, JOY or HAPPINESS would be what it really comes down to right? Now explain to me how joy and happiness would not exist if God didn't exist. To me he/she/it doesn't exist, yet I can experience joy and happiness.

He IS his creation,

He created himself?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

Interesting....Where did God begin, who created God.

Is God the infinite creator...

What, or is infinity?????

Does infinity have a creator and, if so, HOW?

More importantly...Why?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhnsmth
I always thought the answer to the ultimate meaning of life was 42, but maybe these jehosephats are on to something here....

Naw, it's 42.

I thought that 42 was proven

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

I could have sworn it goes over that in the bible god taking 7 days to create himself. Ofcourse I could be wrong.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me with absolute certainty that, they know who created God?

I do not ask that question b/c I do not believe God Exists.

God may or may not exist.

Who created God though?
Why was God created to give us mere humans live or existence?

Why do we exist through God?

According to scripture, He exists within us...So, I question sometimes

If God would, or could exist with out us?

Can a Higher Power exist without my belief?
edit on 8-2-2011 by MagesticEsoteric because: spelling

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

Agreed 100 % according to scripture but,
Have u ever asked yourself who exactly created OUR

Creator?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

If God would, or could exist with out us?

Of course the Universe could exist without God, life could have evolved as scientists stated, neither theories are "impossible". That's why I'm stating whether God exists or not plays no role in the meaning of life. If we exist through God my bad for not paying any respect to his grand design, but I can't respect a being I have no way what so ever of connecting with. And those few people who do feel they have a connection to God - hearing his voice or what ever - always seem to be just not quite "with it".

reply to post by American-philosopher

I could have sworn it goes over that in the bible god taking 7 days to create himself
Oh, so that explains that one...

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

You said that got had to evolve. Why? How do you know that? What evidence do have of this? You've gone from child like to childish. If you know so much about God, to counter what he says, then I suggest to you, that you are God and have full knowledge of the universe. So why arn't you telling us. Instead Of trying to be sly with your questions As if you we're going to trap someone with your innocent looking query? You t bring us a false persona and expect to taken seriously? Maybe you didn't get the memo. Speak the truth.

Of course this is to be anticipated from someone who has no God.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join