It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Handbag-wielding pensioner saves jeweller from sledgehammer thugs. EPIC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
This video is epic and the pensioner in question is my hero! You got to watch this seriously.

A gang of men armed with sledgehammers who were attempting to smash their way into a jeweller's shop were repelled by an elderly woman who beat them away with her handbag.

The gang of six - all wearing crash helmets - had clearly planned the assault and arrived on a motorbike and two motor scooters shortly before 9.30am yesterday.

The scene was clearly captured on video by a passer-by.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

This old lady gradually approaches from the horizon seemingly out of nowhere, much like Sir Lancelot in Monty Python's Holy Grail.

Within seconds she is mercilessly beating the robbers, as they cower in fear, and sends them running with their tails between their legs. Only after bystanders realise the mighty power of this woman do they run to her aid. It doesn't say much for the other people involved who are content to watch and film, until this lady shows them up. At the end of the video one robber has been subdued by a number of passersby.

If this has been posted already I'm sorry I couldn't find it with the search.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Great post!

I love stories like this.

I wonder why they were scared of her handbag when they could easily have overcome her?

Too much attention - or a lingering fear of or respect for their grans?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Ha I live in this area and was told this morning by a friend that that saw all of this.... lots of people stood watching and the only person that does a thing is the old woman..... legend... and who would have thought that a place i know so well would end up posted on here .... for no other reason than home town love... S&F!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

It doesn't say much for the other people involved who are content to watch and film, until this lady shows them up.

I watched before reading your post, and that is exactly the first thing that popped into my head. Even the person filming it did not move forward until after the cop casually walked past. He or she didn't care at all about anything besides getting it recorded. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad it was recorded.

. Only after bystanders realise the mighty power of this woman do they run to her aid.

I love how you worded that.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
I wonder why they were scared of her handbag when they could easily have overcome her?

I assumed that these guys are not actually soul-less heart-less thugs. Thieves or vandals? Yes. but may not be ruthless villains who would beat up an old lady. That and the fact that they weren't gonna get through the glass anyways, and the outer barriers coming down. They had drawn quite a bit of attention to themselves by then.

What does that statement say about you though? You see that video and you think that they should of just took her out?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I agree I think they would have had a lynch mob out for them if they had hurt the old lady or anyone else.

At first I thought the footage was from a stationary camera, then it started moving forward.

Let's hope the apprehended criminal rats on his friends and they all get charged.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I wonder how old she is?
She seems to have geat vision and can run quite fast.
At 0:10 sec she enters the frame already running and she doesnt stop .Hmm... very fit..
She saw that from such a distance, then ran all that way to stop them.

Very strange.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
This video plainly shows what society has become - spectators rather than actually doing something.
We would rather record and observe than get involved, even if the safety of others is concerned.
It's a sad statement on what most of have become.
Good on that old woman, she probably survived the blitz and was far tougher than those moronic moped gangsters.
Sad to think that generation is passing so quickly.
Both my parents were raised during the depression and yes, they did walk 10 miles to school every day.
They even picked cotton in the fields as kids to help their families survive.
Today's kids cant put their game boys down long enough to accomplish anything.
The future is bleak when you look at who is left to lead.
We don't deserve the comforts and convenience we have inherited.

Great story

edit on 8-2-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I think you're right there. It adds a distance to the incident when viewed from behind the camera lens. Which I think makes it more tolerable for some people.

The camera man or woman may only be running forward to get a better shot, not really coming to help. Not the biggest vote of confidence for average peeps.

I like to think I would have helped too, but I suppose it is easy to say when not actually involved. I would relish the chance to be a hero,but then again it doesn't always run as smoothly as in this instance. I suppose I will have to stick to a more behind the scenes role for the time being.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock2009

I found that strange too as she does appear to run from nowhere. Perhaps they passed her before they pulled up, and she knew something was about to happen.

This article has a mini interview with the woman which may shed some light on how she became involved.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The cameraman, Mr Jacobs, had been filming a nearby health service for a documentary when he caught the attack on camera.

He said: ‘The robbers zoomed up on motorbikes and they started smashing the glass with their sledgehammers.

Perhaps he was stuck in documentary mode and didn't want to intervene so let nature take it's course.

Interesting as well is to take the poll for this article. Even with the anonymity of the Internet it would appear most people would not have got involved.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Supergran. aka The Granny Vigilante.

I wasn't looking for it, but stumbled upon this story on MSN. Anyways, its updated a bit. Tells a little bit about the woman. Ann Timson. 71 yrs old. Also has several statements from her. I figured I would add it to this thread.

"I clobbered him with my shopping, but he got away," Timson added. "The rest were still trying to smash and grab the jewelry. "I just kept swinging my bag, then they tried to escape. I landed several blows against one lad on the back of a bike and brought him to the ground.

She says a few other things too. The video on here, is somewhat comical. They added captions to it coming from her.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

join