It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomb of Prophet Zechariah Found?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I am placing this article under the Conspiracies in Religion thread due to its topic and the most recent conversations about the Horsmen of the Apocolypse.

Tomb of Prophet Zechariah Found?

Feb. 2, 2011 -- Israeli archaeologists unveiled on Wednesday the remnants of a newly discovered Byzantine-era church they suspect is concealing the tomb of the biblical prophet Zechariah.

The church, with intricate and well-preserved mosaic floors, was discovered on the slopes of the Judaean hills at Horbat Midras, the site of a Jewish community in Roman times, southwest of Jerusalem.

Underneath is a second layer of mosaics dating from the Roman period, with a cave complex still further below which archaeologists think could be Zechariah's tomb.

"Researchers believe that in light of an analysis of the Christian sources ... the church at Horbet Madras is a memorial church designed to mark the tomb of the prophet Zechariah," the Israel Antiquities Authority said.

A statement noted, however, that more work is needed to confirm the hypothesis.

A Jewish prophet of the late sixth century before Christ, Zechariah is associated with the book of the Old Testament that refers to four horsemen and other visions prefiguring the coming of God in judgment.

The church at Horbat Midras was discovered after a gang of tomb raiders was found to be in possession of the church lintel -- part of the door structure -- which they said came from an underground location.

"Following the discovery, an excavation was carried out with the aim of revealing the secrets of the monumental building which the lintel belonged to," added the statement

"There is no doubt the discovery is extraordinary and of great importance in terms of research, religion and tourism," it said.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
What does this have to do with the talk about the Horsemen of the Apocolypse?

A Jewish prophet of the late sixth century before Christ, Zechariah is associated with the book of the Old Testament that refers to four horsemen and other visions prefiguring the coming of God in judgment.

The church at Horbat Midras was discovered after a gang of tomb raiders was found to be in possession of the church lintel -- part of the door structure -- which they said came from an underground location.

In addition to it being a fascinating discovery, I find the timing intresting with all the unrest going on in the World. With the suggestion we are near the end times, and with the recent thread and photo here in ATS talking about the 4th Horsemen being seen in Egypt, I found the timing of the 2 intresting.

ATS Thread - 4th Horsemen spotted in Egypt

edit on 7-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
ah... deep breathe... The days of the unravelling & exfoliation of deceit are finally among us.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Zechariah lived long before the Byzantine era. Why would he be connected to a Byzantine church? It was in vogue back then for churches to claim to have relics, either real or imagined. This story could be more hype than reality.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Great find
The timing of all this is maybe a little coincidental? Not saying conspiracy just another find in the list of things going on right now. Is it a sign? I saw the "green horseman" video and thought reflection or something caught by accident, now I'm not as sure. If this does turn out to be Zechariah's tomb then it is very curious indeed. Especially in light of the nature of his prophecies.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
why my post have been removed??

its not off topic..i said..

religion is fake so there is nothing to worry about..no 4 horses of doom and i guess the tomb is fake too

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Woopse!

I am SO sorry...! I had no idea that god was posting before us.

Sorry sir, oh wise master...

I shalt not defy nor question your opinions nor 'word' again.

M

PS* 'religion' may have aspects to it which may be deemed 'fake' by some, but the historical, philosphical, and astronomical events which are recorded and documented in the book are more than the antonym to your "fake.".
edit on 7-2-2011 by MavRck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Religion is bogus but that doesn't mean these people didn't actually exist.

If true, cool find on a par with finding Cao Cao's tomb in my view.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
What does this have to do with the talk about the Horsemen of the Apocolypse?

In addition to it being a fascinating discovery, I find the timing intresting with all the unrest going on in the World. With the suggestion we are near the end times, and with the recent thread and photo here in ATS talking about the 4th Horsemen being seen in Egypt, I found the timing of the 2 intresting.

ATS Thread - 4th Horsemen spotted in Egypt

edit on 7-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Zechariah wrote about Apocalyptic events and the final battle, synonymous with the 4 men of the Apocalypse, so it is kind of relevant. What isn't relevent is that ridiculous post with the video of the "Horseman" in Egypt.

I mean, really folks. Have the minds of ATSers been so convoluted that we are now believing such videos without question? A very obvious reflection zooms off the screen and we believe it is an apocalyptic horseman? Erm, surely there would have been eyewitnesses? Or are we to believe that only TV cameras can see it in the spectrum of light they exist? There are so many flaws with that video.

Back on topic....it is very possible that the tomb was found under a Byzantine church. We've been building upon buildings for thousands of years. Zechariah was buried by the Hebrews over 2,500 years ago in the area, others came afterwards like the Romans and the Christians who would've built upon the site or others.

Cities like Rome, London and Paris and many other major cities of the world, have built upon buildings. Anyone ever watch Cities of the Underworld?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Is what I am hearing is the breaking into the tomb was the breaking of a seal?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The thrust of the story is that the tomb was found under a Byzantine church, which itself concealed a tunnel complex which would be where the tomb was located.

I would like to see this confirmed somewhere other than where one of the side links tries to tell me about Ark discoveries... that kind of puts a damper on the historicity of the place.

then again, I would expect pro-Christians to keep up with biblical archeology.

Anyone outside of the partisan groups confirm this?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Oh, let's see...it could be just another "signs & wonders" thing, where the Jews dig up some new relic or other to substantiate their not-substantial claim to Palestine. I recall an Adventist friend who told me that every time the Mormons get into trouble, they dig up another tablet - just like here. Further, if the Jews think they might have found the prophet's tomb, I note that they give no reason for it. They know more than they are telling.

Ah well, the Byzantine church was probably a signs & wonders project too...

top topics

join