It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the heck is happening to Australia?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Thoughts going out to all you Australians! You are a remarkably strong lot. You went through the floods, then the cyclone hit you and NOW you've got out of control Bushfires! Bloody hell! When I read that on the BBC I gasped and thought "you've got to be kidding!"

What's going on?

I know there are many countries that go through tough times and there are those for whom it is a cyclical thing but NOT Australia. This is not typical - or am I wrong...? It makes me feel wary, the 'A' typicallness of it all, if you get me...
Finding it hard to explain quite what I mean -
it's just all a bit off .

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I had a suspicion that (IF) weather weapons were a possibility perhaps they have been deployed to destabilize the Aus dollar which was quite strong. Do I believe these weapons exist? Yes Do I believe that they would be deployed to destabilize an economy? maybe. Do I have credible evidence? No

Climate change: Whether you believe in it or not whether you believe it is caused by solar flares, pole shifts or millions of cars, coal plants and cows farting this one has some credit to it. Perhaps this is a wake up call to change the system. Will it happen? Hope is there but I dont think a carbon tax is going to fix it. Something monumental will need to happen over and over to wake people up to the changes required. If its solar flares nothing can be done about that.

BTW I read that the sun was flaring 4/2 perhaps that is why it is so muggy and hot here I have a headache.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

Thanx for this thread , im suspicious too , if theres a HAARP then it looks like its targeting Australia but I dont why . Depopulation springs to my mind but hmm more than meets the eye .

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

We get stuff like this happen all the time! The difference is there is a lot extreme weather & conditions occurring at once! Not as tragic (Not even in the league of other events) but to add to your list Sydney just had a massive heat wave some suburbs without power!.

I have lived all over Australia & seen all these things at one time or another. But I have never seen as many disasters that have happened since November to today in such a short space of time or covering as a far a distance over our country in short time!

Nearly everyone in Australia knows someone who has been effected one way or another by this. If you mention HAARP don't complain if there is backlash. Reall,y people are taking this hard but we will battle on!

Maybe ozweatherman can help
edit on 6-2-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I don't know. It could just all be a coincidence.

I live in Perth and saw all the smoke and water bombers yesterday. It was surprising how close these fires were to the the city and how fast so many homes got destroyed.

They said the fires started from sparks from an angle grinder.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Yeah - there's a lot of chatter here on ATS as I'm sure you'll've seen about 'them' messing with the weather and deploying this or that. My heads spinning with all the "maybe it's... or maybe it's..." flying around the posts.

I guess the point is, we're not used to hearing Australia so heavily featured in the main stream news regarding natures havoc. And yes, we're supposed to be paying attention and we're not getting it!
I fear I'm not making any sense...I'm pretty tired and should sleep cause I clearly can't think , or write, coherently but my minds gnawing away at what's going on in Australia.

I hope where ever you are is safe and that you've got a glass of water nearby for your headache!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
yep its pretty crazy over here. massive floods in two states,one of the biggest hurricanes ever,big bush fires in the west, very long and hot heat wave in sydney and in the past couple of days melbournes cbd has flooded and the south east suburbs were under water too and that never happens.I can never rember Melbourne and the suburbs flooding luckly no one died in these cbd floods just millions and millions in damage

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Australia is a large place where large scale 'disasters' are common place. Much of our biota is adapted to boom and bust cycles that can be caused by bushfires and ephemeral water bodies.

These events are common, however for all to come within such a short period of time is not normal. I strongly suspect that human development and an increasing population can be at least partially attributed to the increasing damage caused by natural disasters in Australia.

1. Bushfires are annual events at the minimum.
2. Flooding is common. It is necessary to maintain production in our ephemeral wetlands.
3. Cyclones are common in the tropical north regions, but from what I understand most do not make land-fall and/or do not affect zones of human habitation.

We've also been experiencing flooding, although no where near the scale of Queensland, in Melbourne the past few days. Apparently this was caused by the remnants of cyclone Anthony.

Australia is projected to be one of the first countries/regions affected by climate change, and also most severely. Our natural cycles of 'disasters' or disturbance are projected to become more frequent and more intense. What I find particularly worrying are the projected increase in the frequency and intensity of bushfires, cyclones and extreme weather events, and rainfall distribution.

One projection is that rainfall distributions will change. This is worrying since it rained throughout the summer this year and many regions have experienced flooding, not just those in Queensland (although they were definetely the most severe). I haven't seen a summer like this in my 25 years. Yes there are natural cycles, but I suspect them to be intensifying.

Check Garneaut and Stern for some of these projections.

We need to start taking care of the planet. You can bury your head in the sand and keep on with business as usual, or you can make a few sacrifices and employ the precautionary principle.

Under which scenario would being wrong have the worst consequences?

edit on 6-2-2011 by seenitall because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thanks I've got my water I don't think staring at a computer screen is helping but at least its distracting me from the heat. I woke up sweating last night checked the thermometer 30 degrees c.

We got a weather warning for flash floods in our part of Queensland today on the radio I hope this is error on the side of caution. I feel for our Southern cousins they are still recovering from the last bushfire my thoughts are with them.

I am trying to remember where I saw the link to the solar flare info last week so I can add it here. With the amount of damage that has happened in the last few months a new tax has been introduced to help pay for infrastructure rebuilding. As a citizen I want to do my part but i will be watching their spending's closely.

I cant see this being a once off tax as they are promising the population and I am still paying drought prices on my water even though I had a river flood through my living room a month ago. I am not sure giving the Government more money is the answer but its the only one that ever seems to go on the table.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Yes, you're right. It's the extremes and how close on the heels everything has come. Exactly. Just crazy.
I simply find it baffling; but I'm over here so can only imagine how much more so it is for you all!

edit on 6-2-2011 by 5senses because: mistype info

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Australia have their own intelligence agency, if they thought that any other Country was messing with their weather and causing destruction they would know about it.
It would cause near enough a war, a war between allies, not going to happen.
No matter how strong the A$ is.
All this HAARP stuff is tosh (IMO).

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by seenitall

Thank you. Very informative as well as beautifully written. I will check out those sites.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Here are some links to the source material.

It is also important to note the difference between the terms 'projection' and 'prediction'. They are often confused (intentionally or otherwise) in attempts to attack such works.

Stern Review

Garneaut Climate Change Report

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5senses
Thoughts going out to all you Australians! You are a remarkably strong lot. You went through the floods, then the cyclone hit you and NOW you've got out of control Bushfires! Bloody hell! When I read that on the BBC I gasped and thought "you've got to be kidding!"

What's going on?

I know there are many countries that go through tough times and there are those for whom it is a cyclical thing but NOT Australia. This is not typical - or am I wrong...? It makes me feel wary, the 'A' typicallness of it all, if you get me...
Finding it hard to explain quite what I mean -
it's just all a bit off .

Thanks for the concern, but yes you are wrong. Flood, fire, drought, & the oppressive heatwave Sydney just suffered through are all perfectly normal for us. All this water has followed a drought that saw a majority of the continent suffering for many years.

I cant deny the recent events are at the extreme end of things, but its all part of our cycle. Dont be surprised if you see big fires in the SE, NSW & Vic. Next summer will see fires all over, followed by more drought. Give it a few years of that, we're back to floods.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by seenitall
Australia is a large place where large scale 'disasters' are common place. Much of our biota is adapted to boom and bust cycles that can be caused by bushfires and ephemeral water bodies.

These events are common, however for all to come within such a short period of time is not normal. I strongly suspect that human development and an increasing population can be at least partially attributed to the increasing damage caused by natural disasters in Australia.

1. Bushfires are annual events at the minimum.
2. Flooding is common. It is necessary to maintain production in our ephemeral wetlands.
3. Cyclones are common in the tropical north regions, but from what I understand most do not make land-fall and/or do not affect zones of human habitation.

have to agree with this,
the country is 7,617,930 km2 or 2,941,299 sq m
we are around 3,700 km (2,300 miles)from North to South and 4,000km (2,485 miles)from East to West

taken from Wiki

The climate of Australia is significantly influenced by ocean currents, including the Indian Ocean Dipole and the El Niño-Southern Oscillation, which is correlated with periodic drought, and the seasonal tropical low pressure system that produces cyclones in northern Australia. These factors induce rainfall to vary markedly from year to year. Much of the northern part of the country has a tropical predominantly summer rainfall (monsoon) climate. Just under three quarters of Australia lies within a desert or semi-arid zone.The southwest corner of the country has a Mediterranean climate. Much of the southeast (including Tasmania) is temperate.

I would also add that the internet brings the news into our houses now by the minute, in the past many of these disasters would not have made it to the world stage

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

God I hope it's "err on the side..." too. Scary stuff and yes, I get you with the money thing. Wise to see how it's used. Sorry to hear you were affected. I can't imagine what you all went/are going through...
The Premier seemed pretty cool when she was speaking as the cyclone approached. How is she thought of over there? Confidence in her?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Thanks all for your replies and for educating me! I'm not a kid and yet feel like I'm just 'getting it' these last couple of years - kind of waking up to the bigger picture. I want to get balanced views on things and NOT buy into the hype, ya know? So hearing it ' from the horses mouth' as it were, is great. Thanks again and hope your're kept out of the worst of it when/if more crap comes...

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

We have had Water - Wind - Fire...all we need now is Earth (earthquake).

It's what we get for surviving the GFC.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I think we have mixed feelings about our Premier. A lot of concern over here choice to add fluoride to our water supply and sell off our public assets to private interests like our water management and rail system. There was also concern over here decision to build a rail through a Koala reserve.
All that seems to have been forgotten as she has been the face of leadership throughout these natural disasters. She has continuously made sure that she has personally updated the media as to the work of emergency services showing humility etc.

Personally I don't dislike her and think she has shown good leadership for the natural disasters. I think her hands on approach and reaching out to the public saved a lot of lives. So I guess while I disagree with her selling us out on the fluoride poison issue and water supply I think this has been tempered by her disaster management skills.

I hope that if she stays in office she will reconsider the adverse health effects of fluoride evidence in regards to the forced fluoride medication issue and total sale of our assets. The people should always maintain a controlling share where their assets are concerned.

I agree with the above comments on disaster cycles in Australia. It is a land of extremes. The frequency increase and severity this year does hold to the climate change model that has been postulated in the past.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Imo,

It's as if...

The whole right side of Australia is adopting South America's climate (heavy moisture, rainfalls etc). The Amazon to be specific.

and

South America itself is adopting Africa's climate. (with all the droughts etc it's having)

and

North America adopting Europes harsh winters.

It's as if the climate is shifting (from the right) either at an alarming rate or it's recently shifted and will sit like so for a further millenia.
edit on 6-2-2011 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join