It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'll Have My Burger Petri-Dish Bred

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
This is for all the people who are concerned with killing animals. This might possibly be an alternate route for those who do not prefer their meat on the hoof. Im not quite sure if im ready for a sample of this. I think it would be weird but it would definately run farms into the ground if this goes into mass growth. It will be cheap and easy to make for all to eat. It might even come with a shelf life as it will continue to grow until you use it! lol

How do you prefer your beef? Certified Angus, grass fed, or culled from a petri dish? That last option may be coming your way soon, courtesy of Jason Matheny*, a biologist at Johns Hopkins University. He is the founder of New Harvest, a loosely knit consortium of international scientists who are investigating an innovative new way of satisfying the world’s craving for meat. They plan to grow it in a lab—no animals required.

I'll Have My Burger Petri-Dish Bred, With Extra Omega-3 (The Story)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

That's fine as long as the protein and "energy" requirements for "meat eaters" are fulfilled, I'm sure the animals wouldn't mind. This would surely be CHANGE; although I don't know how or if the "cells" on a molecular level would agree. The possibilities are endless. If we can have designer clothes, shoes and accessories, surely people would be able to choose their designer food. Now that's a business opportunity.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Well when they get it right, the big burger shops will all jump onboard.

Brings being vegan to a whole new level.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

P.S. I would prefer to get food poisoning on the side for no extra charge.

And instead of ground up toenails and beaks, I would like a petri dish order, thanks.

Wow! What a great and healthy meal!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

I completely agree with you on that money is what were all about. So they say it will be cheap but if they fashion it as a designer food it could be expensive to get. The choice will be ours to make. Life of an animal or price of a petri dish meat.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

S&F

I was asked in my thread on meat what I thought the solution was and this is definitely a solution.
I do have questions though regarding what the meat is grown from, it's energy must come from somewhere and how much it differs from natural meat on a microbiological scale - small differences to our food can have massive implications over time. Also the meat is not the only thing we take from animals - buisinesses will keep killing them even if they just needed a small part.
edit on 3-2-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

Yeah if its in a petri dish and not from an animal can vegans eat it? Will being a vegan even be needed?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

As for right now at the link they state that the meat is produced in this fashion. Maybe this will clear up a few things.

For cells to mature, they must soak in a nutrient-rich soup. The current soup—costly “fetal bovine serum,” or calf’s blood—may soon be replaced by an inexpensive, plant-based substitute that offers a major advantage: It avoids using any animal-based products, satisfying the ethical concerns of some vegetarians. As the cells mature, they must also be stimulated to move as they would be by bone growth and body movement in a living animal. This is done by giving electric jolts or by manually stretching the polymer scaffolding that anchors the cells. In the course of stimulation, the cells convert from what scientists describe as “meat-flavored Jell-O” to the striated, textured fibers we associate with steak.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

Yeah the word in any product that scares me the most is "Mechanically Seperated Chicken or Beef" I never buy anything with those words in the ingredients!

Check this link for the meaning of mechanically Seperated chicken.
Definition Of Mechanically Seperated Chicken and its back story.

Gross!

edit on 3-2-2011 by sugarcookie1 because: Fixed Image.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Oh, gross! Let's just all be cremated, return to dust/clay and be done with this "dog eat dog" world.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Lol agreed! Can you believe we let this kind of stuff enter our bodys without a second thought. Thats why I quit eating anything with Mechanically Seperated in the ingredients. I cant believe they let this stuff allowed in our foods. USDA my butt. They dont care as long as they get paid.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Yeah,

I learnt these gruesome details when one of my heroes (Jamie Oliver, the Brit chef) tried to change America's way of eating.

A lot of kids learnt that too, which is good.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Id be totally up for this, I'm not a vegan but I do think about how animals are slaughtered for their meat and it bothers me, I've tried veggie food including soya products and qourn but I just didn't like it.

If this tasted the same and had the same or better nutrients I wouldn't care that is was manufactured in this way.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

I would be willing to try it. Hopefully it tastes the same and I do wonder if there will be fat in it too? They say fat is what gives meat its flavor.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

What sucks is that its in almost every kids favorite foods. Hot dogs, Chicken Nuggets, Vienna Sausages and the list goes on and on!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

If you get kids to watch Jamie Oliver's American school programmes, kids will go right off it.

That is a promise!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply..I will have to go take a peek later

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
come on folks i have your Petri-Dish burgers hot on the grill!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I would at least want to try this before I said no to it.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Is the meat "alive"?
I just get a picture in my head of this meat blob coming alive. Strange stuff.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join