It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saw it = My thoughts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Only seen this once so sorry i cannot go into great detail/examples

Well, I saw the picture today. Firstly, I thought it was totally deserving of the cannes prize and was an excellently made film. I can't thank Moore enough for taking everyone into the world of Bush because it's easy to see (Iraq war aside) he is a terrible person to be leading the most powerful country in the world.

Particularly, the way that Moore documented the 9/11 attacks
I also highly respect, as he did so without actually showing any of the footage of the crashes and it is just as moving as anything I have ever seen about the terrible events on that day. I also commend the way that Moore has portrayed the U.S army becuase at the same time he has managed to highlight the horrible things done in Iraq aswell as teaching us to respect these people who sacrifice their lives.

The one thing that I didn't like was the section in which Moore shows smiling iraqi people before the war, cutting to scenes of horribloe civilian death during the war. Here I feel that Moore went to far, giving up quality film making for a cheap emotional dig. I think everyone knows that life under Saddam was awful for many. However not as awful as the sanctions. . . .

Overall I think it is great, the obvious political biased didn't ruin it for me one bit, I think that the facts and the footage speak for themselves.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Overall I think it is great, the obvious political biased didn't ruin it for me one bit, I think that the facts and the footage speak for themselves.

One this that bothers me is that people take his "mock-umentaries" as gospel fact. They forget he mixes up the actual facts to support HIS views. The open a bank account/get a gun part of Bowling for Columbine is classic example of this.

So, even though he has some movie making talent...if you believe this is actual "fact", then you must believe in Stone's "JFK" as fact too. Might as well believe that all "based on a true story" movies are "fact".

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
That word had an 's' on the end, facts....I never said that the whole film was 'fact' .

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
So is Michael Moore is a Republican?
He favors the Bush's and wants to contribute to the Bush campaign 2004.
If Bush scares you, how does Kerry make you feel? Kerry may be qualified to take on the roll of President but what if something happens to him. Are we then stuck with Edwards? That could be worse than Howard Dean.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What?.

Bush does indeed scare me. Kerry doesn't 'scare' me as such yet, but I'm sure he will make another lousy president. However at least he doesn't have an administration lineup as infamous as George W's , it's like an oil convention! Kerry is no better, if you had read any of my threads about the two 'skull and boners' (oh dear) then you would see that I feel the same

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Kerrey is worse than Al Gore and we all know how bad Gore was (or could have been). Once again, we have to go with the lesser of two evils at the polls in Nov. If we want to keep our freedom and pride we have to go with Bush, our education may flounder, but it would be less than if Kerrey were in charge.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If you want freedom vote for Bush.... Have you heard of a thing called the patriot act?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Yes, there are some flaws with the Patriot Act, but how does Kerrey plan to protect us? I don't want my protection and freedom in the hands of France or the UN. He flip flops so much we aren't sure what he will do.

Like I said, the lesser of two evils in this election.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
One this that bothers me is that people take his "mock-umentaries" as gospel fact. They forget he mixes up the actual facts to support HIS views. The open a bank account/get a gun part of Bowling for Columbine is classic example of this.

Exactly...

Definition
documentary
noun
a film or television or radio programme that gives facts and information about a subject

[edit on 7/15/2004 by bobafett1972]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Can you prove that the facts he presents in F-9/11 are false? I'm not saying I can prove they are true. However, even if a large part of the information was false in this movie it still shows a clear image of the president and it don't look good. You cannot deny the links between this administration and Saudi arabia that go way beyond a decent diplomatic relationship.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
I'm not saying I can prove they are true. However, even if a large part of the information was false in this movie it still shows a clear image of the president and it don't look good.

You are a good writer, I have enjoyed some of your stories but here you baffle me.

How can you say this movie shows a "clear image of the President", when you by your own words state you can't prove the movie true?

I understand that this movie speaks to those who want to believe it and I am not going to bash people, it doesn't solve a thing.

I respect your opinion that you enjoyed the film, let's leave it at that.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Thank you, I'm glad you have enjoyed my writing

What I am saying is, even if many of the points Moore made were in fact false or 'unfairly presented' as many republicans love to say, I still feel that the movie displays that this guy is not the right person to lead 'the free world'. Have you seen the film?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally by JacKatMtn
How can you say this movie shows a "clear image of the President", when you by your own words state you can't prove the movie true?

The integrity of American people is not in question, but the integrity of the current administration should be.

Michael Moore's film is not the only expression of something being wrong. The Senate Committee and the Butler Report, both independant enquiries, reveal that the primary reason for the war in Iraq was based on false information.

Also, explain to me why Guantanamo Bay is the right thing to do; incarcerating people with no trial in the name of freedom, liberty and security.

[edit on 15-7-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Your welcome, no I haven't seen the movie but have seen many peoples' opinions on the movie yours included and while I may try to find it online somewhere I don't plan on seeing it because although there may be something which Moore has truthfully put into the movie, I would say in order for it to be taken seriously, he should have stuck to the truth.

That's what I search for, truth, like I said I understand people are upset, maybe scared, more likely just tense over the situation in the world right now and a knee jerk reaction is to blame the President . I understand that fully, but I choose to search for the truth and let me tell you it is not easy these days.

A large percentage of people here, I believe, are putting way too much weight in the office of the President and neglecting the major problem in my opinion, the Congress. Here is the major problem we have in government today. It is just too easy to put the blame on one person than to investigate what the hundreds of Representatives and Senators are doing and have done to get this country in this state.

IMO, first thing to do is a wholesale change of our Congress, bring in people who don't want to be there for retirement. A viable third party would first have to be inside this institution before any 3rd party choice would have a chance at President.

Well, I digress, Like I said I respect your opinion, but in my search for the truth I find that listening to the far right and far left is a broken record, too much for the imagination and too emotionally oriented. Somewhere in the middle is the truth, and this is what I seek. Have I found it yet? ..............Still looking my friend.....

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Well, I digress, Like I said I respect your opinion, but in my search for the truth I find that listening to the far right and far left is a broken record, too much for the imagination and too emotionally oriented. Somewhere in the middle is the truth, and this is what I seek. Have I found it yet? ..............Still looking my friend.....

You couldn't have summed up my political feelings more acurately Jackatmtn, I seriously hold contempt for both sides, and support niether the democrats or the republicans. I don't see why I should be seen as some kind of Moore finatic or democrat lover just because I agree with things in this movie. I said, possibly not explicitly enough, that i did disagree with tactics Moore used in the movie, and they are clearly biased and used for emotional effect. I just really think Bush is a bad person to be in his position. I'm not saying it's all Bush's fault at all, I mean, what about the people who are pulling the strings attatched to his arms?

I only like this movie becuase I really feel strongly against Bush and his admin, not becuase I enjoyed or accepted the politcal spin. Many of the reason I dislike the guy weren't even in the film!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I just saw it. However, my stepdad, who is a republican, saw it before I did. Although he said there was the obvious political bias, he thinks the film might actually change a few minds. I didn't think so, until I saw it. It's very well written. If Moore could stay away from the agenda digs, his message would be alot stronger. If he could just ditch the bias, even republicans with blinders might give this movie more credit.

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Damned]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I think you may be right there dammned. If he took a more sensible approach then maybe he could cut down on the criticism? I could certainly think of a few things he could do. The problem is that what he is making is a movie and it has to be entertaining. It has really satirical moments like the bit with the administration faces put on the cowboys (can't remeber what cowboy flick it was or whatever). So maybe thats an explanation for some of it. But I agree with you.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I believe the main problem with the film is the fact that he calls it a documentary. For years to come people are going to rent or buy this movie thinking it is a documentary. When it is a bunch of lies and stretches. It should be called, "Vote Kerry".

Earthtone-
Facts speak for themselves???

What facts are those? The only facts i can put together is Moore hates Bush and thats about it. It is not a documentary, that is a film based on truth, not what you believe to be true. There is a difference.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Please read this, then tell us which things you don't consider facts, and why. Then we'll talk. Until then, I'll just assume you're in denial like the rest of the idiots.

www.michaelmoore.com...

There has never been a political attack of this calibur on any president still in office. I'm surprised Moore isn't dead yet. There's a chance that he might have an "accident" or a "suicide".
Of course, that would be pretty obvious now, wouldn't it?

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Damned]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
In a Presidental Election here in the United States of America the popular vote does not win elections. It is the electoral votes that count. Bush won the 25 electoral votes in Florida meaning he won the election.

I'm not an idoit, I just look at what is fact and what is someones point of view. Just like his movie, he has munipulated the info on his website to agree with his veiws and to back up his story. He is still calling it a documentary when it is not.

I also now how the system works in a Presidential Election in the US. Electoral Votes are the votes that count, not popular votes like Gore and Moore think. Granted, popular votes are important but they do not decide election like Gore and Moore hoped they would. How many time do i need to count the fingers on my right hand? ONCE, just once.

If it were true, Bush would be facing impeachment.

Im suprised Bush hasn't been shot at. It's not good when you start your Presidency and half the nation THINKS he stole it. If im living in denial, i would hate to live in your reality.

Michael Moore

top topics

<<   2 >>

join