It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange Awarded Sydney Peace Medal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

In the estimation of the Sydney Peace Foundation, Australian WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange stands alongside the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela.

As he outrages and embarrasses world leaders by leaking secret US diplomatic cables - and continues to face down allegations of sex offences - Mr Assange has been chosen by the foundation to receive a rare gold medal for peace with justice.

The honour, previously given only to the Dalai Lama, Mr Mandela and Japanese lay Buddhist leader Daisaku Ikeda in the foundation's 14-year history, has been bestowed for Mr Assange's "exceptional courage and initiative in pursuit of human rights".

www.smh.com.au...

I think this is well deserved and comes at a time when our Truth Tellers need to be praised, lifted, and supported for their efforts. Too many times truth has been punished in our society. I am happy to see this turn of events.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
yes this much more deserved than obama's peace prize. assange should get one for every corrupt politician that gets booted out of office because of his whistleblowing.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Song for a Hero

Can I get a "hell yeah"?

One thing I find is that when someone like Assange comes along with power, strength, and courage of righteous convictions, it is contagious and his actions help to fortify us all to stand up and take part in battling these dragons.
edit on 2-2-2011 by Alethea because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The Facebook Guy seems to be delivering people's personal data to "big companies" and he's a social hero. Julian Assange delivers "big companies" data to people and he is considered an outlaw.

Let's balance.

edit on 2-2-2011 by AboveTheTrees because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
Song for a Hero

Can I get a "hell yeah"?

One thing I find is that when someone like Assange comes along with power and strength of convictions, it is contagious and his actions help to fortify us all to stand up and take part in battling these dragons.

HELL YEAH! *throws up the horns in both hands and begins circle headbanging to metal giants Gojirra*

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTheTrees

The Facebook Guy seems to be delivering people's personal data to "big companies" and he's a social hero. Julian Assange delivers "big companies" data to people and he is considered an outlaw.

Hero to those who grieve the bloodshed and the horrible injustices in the world; outlaw to those he exposes for their corruption. Isn't that the way it has always been in this world?

Your hero/outlaw statements remind me of a song written about someone else like that.

"Some say he was an outlaw
He roamed across the land
With a band of unschooled ruffians
and a few old fishermen."

He spoke out against corruption
And he bowed to no decree
They feared his strength and power
So they nailed him to a tree."
edit on 2-2-2011 by Alethea because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Let's balance.

julian assange isn't doing it for money? the only thing that facebook gets for selling info is money, and nothing else.

it's always about the money for companies. julian assange is one little person and he is not getting rich off of this, in fact he probably realizes that he's having the most difficult time of his life, yet he still works to make his own life worse for the betterment of human kind.

c'mon are you really trying to rationalize this stuff in context of him doing something wrong? where's your heart?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

Oh nono, I probably didnt make myself clear. I was trying to speak in the voice of the Great Mass Media All Seeing Eye Robotic God, all of those who have been trying to persuade us in that sense.

I deeply respect Julian Assange work, I dont care who's he working for if he's working for somebody. I just love those leaks being exposed. It balances a bit the World.

Exactly like the Award mentioned.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

reply to post by metalshredmetal

Oh nono, I probably didnt make myself clear. I was trying to speak in the voice of the Great Mass Media All Seeing Eye Robotic God, all of those who have been trying to persuade us in that sense.

I deeply respect Julian Assange work, I dont care who's he working for if he's working for somebody. I just love those leaks being exposed. It balances a bit the World.

Exactly like the Award mentioned.

oh ok i see, maybe your stance wasn't very clear, or maybe i read it wrong. all is well.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

FOR WHAT? Supposedly he has tons of documents that he was going to 'release shortly' that would lead to thousands of arrests, etc etc. We've seen nothing of substance. Just a bunch of teenage-girl type stuff ... diplomats dis'n each other behind their backs and some memos that people are spying on the UN (with good reason!).

He gets a 'peace medal'?? Whatever.
(my same response to his supposed big leaks!)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Foundation director Stuart Rees said today the Australian's work had challenged the old order of power in politics and journalism.

"Peace from our point of view is really about justice, fairness and the attainment of human rights," Professor Rees said.

"Assange has championed people's right to know and has challenged the centuries-old tradition that governments are entitled to keep the public in a state of ignorance."

www.smh.com.au...

"Assange has championed people's right to know..." So now we have confirmation---names, dates, times, places, outline of agendas, dark deeds that were hidden now brought to light, suspicions confirmed....Assange has put the info into our hands.

The big question is...WHAT ACTION WILL PEOPLE TAKE now that the Truth is smack in their faces? I am sure many will remain apathetic, others will remain loyal to the darkside because that's where their bread is buttered. If you do nothing, it is considered as giving your silent consent of approval to the bloodshed and corruption and renders Assange's work and efforts in vain.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

FOR WHAT? Supposedly he has tons of documents that he was going to 'release shortly' that would lead to thousands of arrests, etc etc. We've seen nothing of substance. Just a bunch of teenage-girl type stuff ... diplomats dis'n each other behind their backs and some memos that people are spying on the UN (with good reason!).

He gets a 'peace medal'?? Whatever.
(my same response to his supposed big leaks!)

So the now famous leaked video showing the murder of 2 Reuters journalists and 12 civilians in addition to the thousands of Iraqi civilian deaths that the pentagon knew about but dismissed has no bearing? Wikileaks has stated the drip like release of information is intentional so that each piece sinks in, versus releasing everything and having that information lose its relevance. Apparently some folks needs to see the kernels secret recipe in order to validate Wikileaks.
You can cherry pick your argument but it reeks of ignorance and the critical thinking of a 5 year old.

I do agree that the bulk of the content, so far, is fluff and diplomatic bickering but it mostly shows the US in a bad way and that's a very well received. In addition the entire Nobel prize system is an embarrassment to anyone given that obama won. So to your point I agree, he should not receive or be nominated its a crack jack prize but your dismissal of some vital material thus far is viewed with eyes shut and ears closed.

brill

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
international support of this kind is important. It will have a bearing on how america reacts and have an impact on public opinion.
bradley mannings deserves a medal aswell....

kx

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill

Wikileaks has stated the drip like release of information is intentional so that each piece sinks in, versus releasing everything and having that information lose its relevance.

Yes, his plan of release had a certain intent. However, it appears that he has been back stabbed by some of the media organizations with which he partnered. I think the reason here is due to the ego of editors who want to "be first" or have an "exclusive". Assange's media partners are all egotists and could care less about a well designed methodical lay-out with a specific purpose. They are all part of the dog-eat-dog world and very competitive. All of those scoundrels are p*wned. But what are you going to do when you need to get the news out?

I feel very sure Assange will get the last word. I believe he was also "testing the waters" of his "journalistic" partners. He did not give them---everything!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

bradley mannings deserves a medal aswell....

kx

I tend to disagree with this. I think motive plays an important part as to "what one deserves". It appears to me, based on the circumstances I know of, that perhaps Manning did what he did simply because....he could.... and his ego for power and excitement was much of the motivation. I do not think that he was doing anything from an altruistic point of view; it was for the thrill.

On the other hand, Julian Assange seems to be motivated by righteousness for it's own sake.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Song for a Hero

Can I get a "hell yeah"?

One thing I find is that when someone like Assange comes along with power, strength, and courage of righteous convictions, it is contagious and his actions help to fortify us all to stand up and take part in battling these dragons.

can I get a hell no !!!!!

the video you posted is a ripped off video and is
a copyright infringement of Robin Gibb's intellectual
property from the Bee Gees. Here is the video where
the video content was stolen from.

oh yea, ur wikileaks video producer will be
in court in the near future for theft of property.
Kinda like ur precious wikileaks.
They're all a bunch of con artists
especially wikileaks.

best wishes

boon

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

On the other hand, Julian Assange seems to be motivated by righteousness for it's own sake.

I'll give Julian Assange $10.00 if he'll come
over and wash my vehicle.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
It's getting pretty thick, now, for a 'rapist' to be garnering all this praise. Look beneath the surface, you'll find zionism setting all the stage, while gnawing away at the timbers. The new thing is to use technology to snare you, anytime you move. Don't they know we're not stupid, nor asleep, during this...campaign?

Sure, julian boy, we're waiting for the next big release. yawn
edit on 3-2-2011 by starless and bible black because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by brill
You can cherry pick your argument but it reeks of ignorance and the critical thinking of a 5 year old.

Right back atchya. :shk: Give some proof that the many promises this quack has given has come to pass. Where is all the vast vast storehouses of information that will undoubtedly lead to 'thousands of arrests' ??

Good luck with that ... (pft .. 5 year old .. you have my pity :shk: )

your dismissal of some vital material thus far is viewed with eyes shut and ears closed.

your dismissal of the FACT that the 'thousands of arrests' that were garunteed by the release of a huge amount of vital information on serious serious illegal activities ... well, YOU are the one with your eyes shut anad ears closed.

Look around. What was 'promised' hasn't happened.
If he had it, we'd have seen it by now.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Right back atchya. :shk: Give some proof that the many promises this quack has given has come to pass. Where is all the vast vast storehouses of information that will undoubtedly lead to 'thousands of arrests' ??

your dismissal of some vital material thus far is viewed with eyes shut and ears closed.
your dismissal of the FACT that the 'thousands of arrests' that were garunteed by the release of a huge amount of vital information on serious serious illegal activities ... well, YOU are the one with your eyes shut anad ears closed.

Can you cite a reference please where Assange promised what you are alleging (thousands of arrests). Wikileaks has stated

We publish material of ethical, political and historical significance while keeping the identity of our sources anonymous, thus providing a universal way for the revealing of suppressed and censored injustices.

Wikileaks is about exposure and transparency. I'm not saying Wikileaks is the crown jewel in what conspiracy theorists have yearned for, but it is the only step in a direction that it sorely lacking. As I previously indicated the slow release is intentional so that each cable has purpose. Time will tell but if even the release of the Reuters journalist murders is any indication then it has already succeeded.

brill
edit on 3-2-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join