It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single Molecule Controlled at Room Temperature: Tiny Magnetic Switch Discovered!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

The switch which has been discovered, with its diameter of only 1.2 nanometers, could be used as a tiny magnetic reservoir in molecular electronics. Most of all, hard disk manufacturers may be interested in this, as a higher storage capacity can be achieved by reducing the size of the magnetic particles on the surface of the disks.

Professor Herges also believes the use of the magnetic switch in the medical field is feasible: "The record player molecule can be used intravenously as a contrast agent in MRT (magnetic resonance tomography) in order to search for tumors or constricted blood vessels. Initial tests in the University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein's neuroradiology department were successful."

Source

I find this of interest and hopefully someone else will as well.
I definitely recommend reading the full article to take in everything relayed within and the ideas behind the process,device and what it could theoretically help improve & create.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
i read this and wonder if nature is not already making use of this type of nano-scale properties.

i really think we are entering a post-modern stage of technological development. like in post-modern art (Warhol) it was life imitating art imitating life. we are going to see science imitating life imitating science.

very cool, and i am so happy to be a part of it!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This will help in the development of cybernetics, as well as computer technology. Anyone want a nano-computer? With a magnetic switch in the nano-group sizes makes many of the things that people have only dreamed of. This will also help in the building of nanobots. All of these are good things and bad things, depending on the use they get put to.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
My main fear when dealing with how tech. is evolving so rapidly is our complete,utter reliance on it.
with the convenience of everyday life becoming easier,quicker and more self efficient we are slowly but surely getting lazier and solely dependent on our technologies..it is sad but true.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for new inventions,modifications and breakthroughs in respect to medical,communications & infrastructure of our society,only if it promotes furthering our sustainability,increasing peace and helping pave way to a better future in general.

If in the wrong hands with negative intentions,technological advancements could be the catalyst of our demise.

Also on the other side of the coin as I was saying above,the reliance of tech. is not necessarily a good thing to a certain extent...there wouldn't be many individuals that would do well if suddenly faced with the situation of surviving in nature,living off the land without their "taken for granted" everyday gadgets & gizmos

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
-

I too find this interesting as i believe all matter is made of magnets,

Icanseeatoms.

top topics

join