It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does luck work?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
pi sses me off those that win the lotto who dont deserve it, rapiest won lotto days after realise from prison...one good thing from that is that he had to pay compo to the woman he raped !

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lukeUK

That's actually where I draw the line between "luck" and karma. This situation I would deem karma in a sense that the woman who he had to pay actually got all of the money he owed her, instead of tiny increments possibly never adding up to the full amount prior to one of there deaths. I do not condone that pig's actions in any way, please don't misunderstand. What I am saying is that it was karma kicking him in the butt letting him win all of that money, taking it away from him, and giving it to the woman who rightfully deserved it (and much more).

Karma is the balance. Karma is the old adage "What goes around, comes around." Karma = What you do to others, will be done to you (in a slightly different manner).

Luck, on the other hand, has nothing to do with justice or balance. Luck is an instantaneous event with an instantaneous effect, which completely disregards balance. It's sort of like a wormhole to our spacetime travel. It's a bit of a short cut that undermines much of what we would consider normal.

Luck would be more like, instead of the rape victim getting the chance to take something from her assailant, she meets someone else who catches her eye just before she was going to meet the mentally deranged person. Therefore instead of meeting [insert name for a sub-organism here] she wound up meeting someone else, such as a friend unseen for a few years. Or perhaps there is some other quick event immediately prior to her meeting the freak that basically circumnavigates the entire scenario. This is still a bit too close to karma as I see it so it's a fuzzy line in this scenario.

Again though, this is just my understanding of these two concepts and how I differentiate between the two.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Acedrew89

I understand what you mean, I think what I was trying to explain were events that were out of the ordinary, and as an elaboration I described how an event that is out of the ordinary goes beyond the actual physical occurence and encompasses the causual/circumstantial factors surrounding the event. Your definition of luck is more accurate as it explains events which occur that are positive/advantageous. Perhaps what I was refering to was more akin to "chance" than luck, as there are also many negative occurences that have a remote probability, as well as positive occurences.

I think at the heart of this discussion is the question of "how can one become lucky" - and it is difficult to define, for example, if a multimillionaire were to win the lotto, he would not feel as "lucky" as a person who is in debt. Even assuming that the probability (chance) that each person had of winning the lotto were equal, the amount of "luck" ascribed to each individual would be different. In that respect, there is a subjective factor involved in the measurement of luck.
edit on 4-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

In response to the rape/lotto scenario, perhaps, although it might sound strange at first, the assumption contained within the paradox is that money and karma are connected. Perhaps, winning the lotto is not in the "realm of karma" as from what I can perceive, most definitions of karma are a kind of punishment for bad deeds, however, not a reward for good deeds, as karma is intricatley linked to the doctrine of selfless service, and that is to genuinley be good, there must be no selfish motivation, and this includes the expectation of reward for good deeds, thus being rewarded for good deeds is something that does not occur, and material rewards are in the realm of materiality, and not in the realm of spirituality. According to the doctrines, for not performing any bad deeds, one is free from "sin" and attains "freedom", while those that are caught in the "wheel of karma" are basically trying to run against the laws of nature, to thier own detriment. Basically, as we understand how there is a perfectly balanced ecosystem, and there is man, who, due to free will, can go against all the intricate laws that animals are hardwired to obey. Finding balance is to find an equilibrium with the "life force" of the planet, and that is why "desire" is seen as the ultimate evil as it is a usage of energy that does not go into the production of further energy.

In terms of karma and rape, we can see that, in soceities where there exists sex for pleasure without the view to having offspring, there are high levels of rape and perversion. In fact, we as a species attempt to limit the number of offspring that we have, so that we can enjoy physical comfort. Although we complain of overpopulation, and cast a reprimanding view over the third world nations, claiming that they are taking the natural resources of the planet, we must observe the fact that only 15% of the worlds population (i.e. the civilised, technological world) consume roughly 75% of the worlds natural resources.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I guess that there could be a higher mind that can predict such scenarios, perhaps, if we were all in "karmic balance" then such events would not occur, perhaps, in an alternate universe, the man and the women met each other in desirable circumstances, ended up falling in love and having many children.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

Well luck is all about the probability of something happening in general(throughout society). Some people are likely to be very "lucky" and others are prone to being "unlucky". Our personnel choices can influence it somewhat. Compare a person who never saves with a person who does save. On the outside looking in who is mostly likely to be better off?

As for "karma", I don't really buy into it. When I do good stuff bad stuff tends to happen and when I do bad stuff good stuff tends to happen.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Of course one can affect its own luck! But… one needs very high personal powers to alter this natural “universe’s probability shuffling”. I saw myself in card games as Texas Hold’em that sometimes I can enter in special state of mind and know/affect reality to my advantage. One evening I had 6 times 4 of the kind: 4 times QQQQ and 2 times 9999 and in between 8 times QQQ99 + 999QQ. Why queens and 9’s is completely different story, story of my life. The film “The Nines” (with Ryan Reynolds) can give you a clue. Carlos Castaneda wrote a lot of this special state of mind - “Cruelty State of Mind”. You born genetically embedded with certain amount of luck you interact with the universe. To alter it, to be luckier, you have to constantly acquire very high personal powers by practicing techniques described by Carlos Castaneda and others like him; not easy task and almost impossible for many.

Me myself born not so lucky but with very sharp senses (luck ???) to see “between the lines”, so I can easily sense when I’m not lucky and avoid any critical decisions (and gambling) at these times. Also I have non-organic ally “358”, I call it “The Serpent”, which helps me by 58/358 manifestations at non lucky scenarios.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

warbird03
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

It's fine with me if you don't even want to consider the concept I posted. If you're that close-minded, then so be it. Move along. However, if you'd actually like to discuss my idea and contribute instead of just saying "luck isn't real", that would be great.

I have a mini theory that I have named "quantum". The deck of cards example you gave earlier is a perfect one. A card which is face down is not yet defined. At that stage it can be any card according to the will. If the will is strong enough , it will be the card that you need when it is turned over.

I do not subscribe to the math connection.

I called this theory Quantum because QM states that what is seen depends on the observer. It does not exist of its own accord.

I have practically tested the theory and it does give reliable results. However, I would be more impressed if I could create two Ace of Spades in a deck. But what is to stop me ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join