It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does luck work?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

It's fine with me if you don't even want to consider the concept I posted. If you're that close-minded, then so be it. Move along. However, if you'd actually like to discuss my idea and contribute instead of just saying "luck isn't real", that would be great.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
If you're that close-minded, then so be it. Move along.

I am hardly close-minded; I am skeptical. Close-minded would be insisting that everyone who doesn't agree with your notions can "move along".

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
the luck can be different things ...

Karma ?
Coincidence ?
Miracle ?
Destiny ?

or simply ..there at the right moment

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I didn't say "move along" because you don't agree with me, I said it because you apparently don't want to discuss the theory and would rather just say "luck isn't real". I didn't realize that wanting some discussion about ideas and possibilities makes me close-minded.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I didn't say "move along" because you don't agree with me, I said it because you apparently don't want to discuss the theory

That's kind of the same thing. Either way, telling people to move along for any reason is close-minded. Calling other people names and being emotionally reactionary isn't productive either. But that's enough of that.

Let's get to the point. You've expressed your ideas. Now, tell us why you think such things could possibly be the case. Even better, provide proof or evidence that supports your contentions.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Good luck works like this. People that praise you and talk about you in a positive light cause you to be lucky. It spreads like wildfire. The more people that praise your soul the better. People that have heard about you then will think positively toward you. Your first impressions when talking to them will be reflected positively. These are the people that are lucky. Their lives become positive and life becomes easier for them. With more people praising you, you will naturally absorb good luck.

Now people that are talked about in a negative light become unlucky. Peoples' thoughts about them become negative in nature. They become cursed as they are reflected in a negative light. Bad luck spreads and they become cursed as more people curse them with negative talk. First impressions when talking to someone will more than not feel confrontational and be a negative experience. This spreads like wild fire also but in an unlucky way. You will naturally absorb bad luck.

The more people praising you rather than cursing you will bring good luck.
Being a good person or a bad person has no bearing on good luck.
Good luck has to do with how the people in your world perceive you.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Proof of this theory requires knowledge of physics that we don't yet posses. If I did have proof, I would be claiming this as truth instead of just a theory.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TamtammyMacx
Good luck works like this. People that praise you and talk about you in a positive light cause you to be lucky. It spreads like wildfire. The more people that praise your soul the better. People that have heard about you then will think positively toward you. Your first impressions when talking to them will be reflected positively. These are the people that are lucky. Their lives become positive and life becomes easier for them. With more people praising you, you will naturally absorb good luck.

Now people that are talked about in a negative light become unlucky. Peoples' thoughts about them become negative in nature. They become cursed as they are reflected in a negative light. Bad luck spreads and they become cursed as more people curse them with negative talk. First impressions when talking to someone will more than not feel confrontational and be a negative experience. This spreads like wild fire also but in an unlucky way. You will naturally absorb bad luck.

The more people praising you rather than cursing you will bring good luck.
Being a good person or a bad person has no bearing on good luck.
Good luck has to do with how the people in your world perceive you.

Quite a good description of reputation

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
None of the posts so far describe luck.

Keep at it guys and gals.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Proof of this theory requires knowledge of physics that we don't yet posses. If I did have proof, I would be claiming this as truth instead of just a theory.

If that was a valid answer then it could be used to justify anything that we make up. Invisible gnomes massage my feet while I sleep, though we don't posses the knowledge of physics to prove it yet.

What makes you think that "ESP", "psychics" or that mathematical equations that govern the universe can be manipulated by the mind actually exist?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

It's simply an idea I had, and figured ATS was the best place to discuss it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

It's simply an idea I had, and figured ATS was the best place to discuss it.

And that's what we're doing. Again, I'm curious as to what leads you to believe that ESP and psychic abilities exist in the first place.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

There's plenty of threads discussing the various reasons people believe in ESP and psychic abilities. Why I believe in them is irrelevant to this thread.

Enough with trying to derail this thread, please.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

If there was no such thing, secret societies and all there degrees would not exist, lol.

Enough said.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Secret societies do not rely on ESP or psychic ability. Again, though, it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Right. So you want me to talk about the things you claimed, until I actually talk about some of the things you claimed, and when that happens I am "derailing". Well then.... good luck to you in trying to figure out luck.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Right. So you want me to talk about the things you claimed, until I actually talk about some of the things you claimed, and when that happens I am "derailing". Well then.... good luck to you in trying to figure out luck.

You apparently don't get it. The reasons I believe in ESP and psychic ability is NOT the purpose of this thread, therefore that's derailing the thread. Again, if you don't want to discuss the topic of the thread, then move on.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

You apparently don't get it. The reasons I believe in ESP and psychic ability is NOT the purpose of this thread

You don't seem to get it. Such things are vitally important as it establishes whether or not your assertions are based upon presumptive premises. But whatever, dude. You go ahead and work it out with people who won't require you to think. Good luck, sir.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Cool, I'll go on with my "not thinking". Now, anybody care to contribute to the discussion? That would be a nice change.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

I can agree to that, though it adds a slightly different angle than the one I was originally going for. The way you put it is luck is the unexpected. The way I see it is more that it is an advantageous outcome in an unlikely situation. Say you were walking under a bird that had recently finished eating, and instead of it defecating on you it hopped onto another a branch that was away from you and pooped over there. Unlikely as it may be that was an advantageous situation.

Or take a situation where you're crossing the street, you aren't paying particular attention and aren't in a crosswalk, it's rush hour, and the sun is setting so it's starting to get in the eyes of drivers. As you're crossing a car slams on its breaks and barely nudges you. You could have just been swiped at the knees, but instead the right cues were set off so the driver was able to see you in time. This is what I would consider luck.

It's a situation where everything has to go just-so in order for the situation to become advantageous for you, and most of the time the odds are against you. In these two cases something in terms of the "math" behind the equations determining every movement, perception, and "feelings" had to be set in such a way that against poor odds the situation ended mostly in your favor.

Your thoughts?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join