It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress report says military paid more than civilians... BS!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
This is a blatant attempt to lower the pay of our military. It was not but a couple years ago when article after article deliniated how military pay was LOWER than civilian.

This also does not take into account deployment to war zones, 24/7 (on call) status, frequent moves and many other extreme hardships military personell routinely experience:

But is the comparison fair?
Many fed eral civil ian work ers may cor rectly argue that they serve in harms way along side active duty mem bers and have com pa ra ble cir cum stances. How ever, the CBO appears to see it oth er wise. In fact, the final sec tion of the report lists the fac tors which make com par ing the two com pen sa tion sys tems dif fi cult. Not the least of which are what the report refers to as the “intan gi­bles.” These intan gi bles include fre quent relo ca tions, deploy ments, greater respon si bil ity at ear lier career points, and haz ardous work ing con di tions, not to men tion the unlim ited work hours (24/7 on call). The report’s author states that quan ti fy ing those intan gi ble ele ments among mil i tary and fed eral civil­ians is “extremely dif fi cult.”

Note: The report also men tions the com bat fac tor, but com bat related com­pen sa tion was not included in the direct cash com par i son.

Why the report and why now?
Some spec u late that the request for the report may be related to Rep. Hoyer’s call late last year to freeze mil i tary pay along with fed eral civil ian pay.

source

They will cut military personnel, disabled veterans, social security, food stamps and more while oil companies are subsidized and year after year make record profits???

Trillions unaccounted by the fed. Trillions unaccounted in the bank bailouts with million dollar perks and bonuses being handed out. GM giving a middle finger salute after taking bailout money and moving to Mexico???

We have got to stop the insanity and vote out each and every member of congress that votes for this insanity!

Any CFR/Trilateral/Bilderberg need to be at the top of the list!

edit....
In my rage I overlooked they are trying to just compare to federal employees of same school/work experience... this is still unacceptable as you can not equate a private in Iraq putting his life on the line to a file clerk in a federal office building. The only direct comparison would be with a federal contractor in Iraq such as Haliburtion. And these guys get paid many times multiple the salary of the enlisted person.

edit on 1-2-2011 by pianopraze because: clarification

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
im in afghanistan right now, and i know a civilian here who makes more in a month then most americans make in a year, he works 4 days a week, 6 hours a day, teaching afghans to drive. i'll spend a year here and wont make what he makes in a month...

(btw he's making approx. $250,000 per year out here, working 24 hours a week.)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
"We have got to stop the insanity and vote out each and every member of congress that votes for this insanity!"

The reason they do not get voted out is simple. When they campaign for re-election they do not mention these kinds of things. Instead they carry on about "big government, constitution this or that, liberal agendas, free markets, second amendment and how these rights have to be protected and lastly Obama does or is this or that or not a citizen or is destroying America or whatever".

See? In the above there is no mention of those very same persons wanting to cut veteran's bennies. All that comes later, after they get elected.

So, people love the emotional appeal of stuff they want and are quite incapable of retaining the memory of the bad things that happen. Result? The CEO loving congresspeople remain for a whole career.

So, once again, the politicians and their CEO buds get the gold mine while "we the people" get the shaft.

Can't do anything about it because no one cares enough.
edit on 1-2-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by iSHRED
im in afghanistan right now, and i know a civilian here who makes more in a month then most americans make in a year, he works 4 days a week, 6 hours a day, teaching afghans to drive. i'll spend a year here and wont make what he makes in a month...

Here is the military pay scale: link

A private makes: 1467.60/month = 17611.20/year + a barely acceptable bed or sleeping on the ground and livable food and a small bonus for deployment.

Tell me how they are going to equate this????

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Here's a comparison of our Militaries:

USA: www.militaryfactory.com...

Australia: www.defencejobs.gov.au...

Israel: www.israelmilitary.net...

Egypt's base rate is similar to that of Israel.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Wouldnt expect anything less from the current american government.

.. $250,000? wouldnt catch me driving around like a big target for a million. lets see how much of that money he can use to jam in his bullet holes n stop the bleeding.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Yep, and look where it got Nick Berg.......

I would'nt go there for any price
edit on 1-2-2011 by bluemirage5 because: oops, spelling mistake

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

k ill ignor your ignorance and post something that you may learn from.

The guy making 250k a year, he's not in harms way (well he's in a warzone, but on a giant safe base).
afghan army and police come on base and learn to drive.

So while he spends 4 years out here then goes home and drives his lambo, there are military personnel who get paid something equal to that guys pocket change, but instead instead of going home and sportin a new sports car, they are sporting new prosthetic limbs, or wheelchairs for their entire life.

the risk does not equal the reward...
thats what the OP was about
edit on 1-2-2011 by iSHRED because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by iSHRED

I know a few who make about 150K to 175K as management level contractors in the electrical/construction fields for KBR. They work about 60 hours per week and are not provided benefits. This is not too far outside of the envelope for some stateside contractors I know.

I've never met a quarter million dollar driving instructor but KBR is a freakshow and it's believeable if you've spent any time dealing with the insanity over there.
I do remember being a private e-1 in the army in 1985. My first two weeks pay was $365 after taxes and my GI bill contribution were deducted.

The military will never be a sustainable career for most. Only the lifers will be able to adjust to a low pay career for 20 years of stress and hazard. Most of the retirees I know got a lot out of it but sometimes wish they'd gone a different route for different reasons.

edit on 1-2-2011 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
They should just raise civilian pay.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

A private makes: 1467.60/month = 17611.20/year + a barely acceptable bed or sleeping on the ground and livable food and a small bonus for deployment.

What??? 18k a year??
I thought the yanks were the wealthy soldiers..!!
In Australia a school leaver gets that much working at McDonalds..
Is that for real???

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I cant believe US millitary personal do such a good job for such little pay... Mmm whats in the food they serve them... Guys ! I know its a patriotic thing but hey wake up please ! go on strike for more money !! The job has to be worth it

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
As with most other industries (yes, war most certainly is an industry), the outsourcing of various functions to for-profit service providers is BIG business. The money to be made from government contracts is huge if you happen to be the one greasing the right palms and getting the work. All on the taxpayer ticket too!

It's no coincidence that many of these providers to the military world are run by former high level officers, often from the desk side rather than the dirty front lines. See, they are the ones who, whilst in procurement roles, set up the contracts and who, upon leaving the military, walk straight into the civilian contracting role as way of payment for services rendered. Yes, it corrupt and yes it's unfair on the grunts, but heck, there's money to be made, which we all know trumps anything ethical or moral in this world.

I'm sure too that there are many in the political ranks benefitting from the outsourcing. They'll probably claim otherwise, having their investments run through blind trusts, but the results of their constant portfolio worth increases in such times of hardship should do more than perhaps raise a few eyebrows!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

What about Israel and Egypt?

Start pay is $150.00 (EP or Shk) a month

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

What??? 18k a year??
I thought the yanks were the wealthy soldiers..!!
In Australia a school leaver gets that much working at McDonalds..
Is that for real???

Yes. This is for real.

But they want to cut even that down now... they're getting paid too much don't cha know...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Like I said on another thread.....let the sons of Congress and those behind the black curtain send their sons to war then - and their fathers can line up with them.

The rate of pay in the US Military is barely enough to live on yet they give up their lives for the rich and powerful sexually deprived deviant no good for nothing shmucks.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

The military should not be paid.

There is no reason to pay a soldier anything.

If some nation is a real threat to our existence, people would be willing to fight against it for free.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Yep, total BS.
To compare apples to apples is like so:
A PMC makes between $125k to $160k (with benefits) a year with a 3 month on, 1 month off rotation. Some PMCs can make more, if they work for themselves.
The typical US GI is an E3 to E-5. Yearly salary is between $22k to $30k (with benefits).
No comparison.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Exactly!

But we all wanna be paid for killing people, and invading third world countries.

Being a puppet is hard work, don't ya know? Seriously, a job mopping floors deserves more respect than a soldiers in todays world.

Like you said, if there's a true threat to our "freedom", the people would rise up and do their part, regardless of pay.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

From the mouth of someone who has never served.
I think that teachers should work for free. If the prime goal is to better the general public, then it is their civic duty to do so.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join