It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency declared in Missouri: Snow up to 2 feet possible

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Warnings were the storm was to hit at 4:00 today in parts Southwest Missouri. Here in Ozark, we haven't see much winter activity yet. Still the winter storm ready to hit a large percentage of the United States called "the perfect storm" already has Governor Jay Nixon calling a state of emergency while preparing the Missouri National Guard.

bungalowbillscw.blogspot.com...

Cities including St. Louis, Kansas City and Milwaukee could be hardest hit, with expected midweek snowfalls of up to 2 feet and drifts piled 5 to 10 feet. Even hardy Chicago could be in for its third-worst blizzard since record-keeping began.

news.yahoo.com...
I live in Missouri and we must really be in for a big storm if they are taking all these measures. I hope power does not go out and this does not last too long. The last major storm we had was decades a go if not more. I don't have a fireplace and I heat with electricty. I have food and water. How long will it take for the roads to clear? I still have to pay my rent.
Who else is in Missouri?
edit on 31-1-2011 by dreamseeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2011 by dreamseeker because: links did not show up

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I could not find my post. I posted this because I wanted to see what others were experiencing with this massive storm. I will post what I see. If it gets real severe will post a video on youtube.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Do you have fire wood maby you could clear a place in a garage and use a metal trash can to have a steady fire?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Well, drifts up to 10 feet high would be mighty impressive. Last year we got up to 43" of snowfall in some places in DC during our blizzard and some pretty significant snow drifts....but I never heard of us getting anything like 10 feet! GEEZ! Good luck out there!

edit on 1/31/2011 by FoJAk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Theonlywoody

I don't have a garage. I have heard that if power goes out the tempature does not go down rapidly. If the heat goes off I am sure it would take a long time to get below 50 f. Right?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I don't live in Missouri, I'm from New Orleans and just moved to N Carolina a few months ago. I've witnessed snow for the first time and I must say it can get pretty annoying. If I lived here another winter I could probably come up with some cool inventions to stop it in its tracks.

anyways good luck, seems like its gonna be a remarkable event.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
missouri here.... near St.Louis... not to bad yet little ice built up on anything free standing....Power lines also

maybe the power will go out maybe not looks like i might be getting my SHTF box out for a little warm up....if needed....
i can get through it if the Power drops just wont have net.....

it will pass

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'm in Missouri too, originally from the Appalachians and truthfully I am looking forward to some snow. Not so much power outages though, I've heard there was a pretty bad ice storm here in '07 that kept power out for over a week. Good luck OP hope it doesn't get too bad in your area.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by GodofWar411

I just heard thunder rumble; I swear or it could be the wind. They did say there will be thunder snow. This makes me wish I would have been approved for that apartment with the wood burning firepace.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by Theonlywoody

I don't have a garage. I have heard that if power goes out the tempature does not go down rapidly. If the heat goes off I am sure it would take a long time to get below 50 f. Right?

temp drop will depend on human activity in and out stuff like that.... personally would recommend propane heater or propane burner.... just to keep heat in the house if it drops.... you will only slow the drop if you get a 10,000BTU burner but if you get a good heater 30,000-40,000 BTU heat output that could keep most average houses pretty comfy or at least in the 60's if it a little on the big side

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by GodofWar411

If it is 10 f outside how long will take to get to 10 f inside? I am freaked out right now because I just realized I have no heating source besides electricity not even a candle!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I live in D.C. and I am so not looking forward to this!, However it seems we are just getting just freezing rain! I can deal with that

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

In 07 we were out for 10 days, it struck fast and hard, within an hour it was surreal as you could hear nothing but the echos of cracking branches and falling trees in the wooded area around our farm. This sound was ominous and continued for weeks.

The foggy and shadowy mist of ice lasted for 3 days and no traffic save the sound of road crews could be heard in the distance. You could sense the eerie silence which threatened to force all life out of every living species subject to the bitter subzero temps.

No help came for those who lived in the country, or for those of us in greatest need if there was a problem. No ambulance's, no services came to repair the miles of dead power lines snapped well below their guy lines which often hung wrapped in tree's,THIS is WHY THEY cut off the power to the grid...

For those who lived in the larger cities, it was not such a dire situation if they had the ability to fend for themselves for the first 48 to 72 hours, many people suffered greatly and some even perished from the extreme cold.

At the beginning of the storm, families and individuals who did not have warmth crowed the churches and schools which opened their doors to hundreds and gave them as much comfort as possible along with fresh water and food.

No pets are allowed in these shelters, so for those people who would never chose to leave their animals, the shelter was not an option.

You still hear stories about folks who holed up in their smallest room, often a bathroom with nothing but candles for warmth. I knew of one man who had no heat and so during the days he would bundle up and go to neighbors to drink hot coffee and wait until late, then returned to his home where he jumped inside a zero degree sleeping bag, and went to sleep rather than feel the cold.

One thing not mentioned was that the flu was rampant during that time and many suffered from that as well. What a miserable existence to have vomit and diarrhea with no way to shower or to wash your bedding and clothes!

Point is, even with all of the watches and warnings preceding the event, people did not take it seriously, they went about their daily lives without a clue as to how fast a mini ice age can hit, but think about how the woolly mammoth has been discovered with plants still in their mouths.

It happens fast, very fast and if you do not have the ability to weather the storm, at least for the first few days, then I suggest a shelter either with friends or the community.

Best of luck to you, stay well.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I have plenty of candles the problem is I do not have anyway of lighting them. No lighter, no matches. I was in dollar tree the other day I should have bought a lighter. It is too late now.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

If you are that helpless and without resources, I strongly urge you to go to a shelter asasp!!! Call any church in your area and they will direct you, if not call The Red Cross as they will even arrange to come get you tonight and get you to a safe place.

Let me know if i can help in any way, but I am in the same boat, but my home is filling with people who have chosen to be here, lol as crazy as this had made me in preparations!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I am not helpless at all because I have batteries, a portable Tv, radio and food/water. I just forgot to get a lighter. I was at the dollar tree getting emergency supplies for the winter I simply forgot. The problem is without a lighter there is no way to make a fire. More than likely power will not go out.
I have a cell phone charging and blankets ready.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

W#ait, are you wasting my valuable time?

Here is what you just wrote:

If it is 10 f outside how long will take to get to 10 f inside? I am freaked out right now because I just realized I have no heating source besides electricity not even a candle!

WTH? I am out of here, just get some help.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

NOw, read my entire post above about the last event which was nothing like this is suppose to be...

I mean it, please seek some help, make some calls , pack your bugout bag and get your butt to safety, NOW!!!

You can thank me later...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

How is that wasting your time. I was trying to do some research on the internet about the issue. I can not find answers to that question. I am thinking it will take at least 24 hours to get down to 10 f but I could be wrong.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Honey it happens very fast, read my entire post above, the long one, it will help you make the right decision for yourself. But time is of the essence. Make your calls to the Red Cross or a church and plan to be picked up and taken to a safe place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join